Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Radio

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

So I just bought a new car radio from argos,I am thinking I will install it myself as it seems easy enough,what do you think?Has anyone installed their own radio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I've done a couple on older Nissans and had to swap the connectors.

A quick google there I found http://www.fitaudio.com/ might be worth a look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

cheers man its a nissan micra aswell, i'll give it go seems simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just take your time at it dude :)

Out of curiosity, what year is the Micra?

its a 99 yeah i'll defo take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Can get complicated especially if the connectors don't match!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ If so, you can usually buy a converter block.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Here's what you do:
    Take out old radio and metal cage. You may need special tools (~€3), or bend coat hangers to fit into holes.
    Disconnect blocks from the back of it.
    Depending on the car, you may need an ISO adaptor block for it. ISO is the standard layout of wires/connectors for cars, and makes it really easy to install your stereo.
    If the blocks on the wires in the car don't fit the radio, buy an adapter. You'll get one in halfords, ask for an ISO block for a '99 micra.
    Install new cage, make sure its in good and tight.
    Plug in all connector blocks in the right place, you cant go wrong!
    Test the radio before sliding it into cage. Turn on ignition, save a few radio stations to the memory. Turn off ignition, turn it back on. If radio stations are still saved, you're good, if not, you'll have to switch 2 wires around. They're usually yellow and red.
    Now slide the radio in and enjoy.

I'm installing the radio at the mo',everything is going fine and the cd player is working the only problem is the radio isn't tuning in any stations,what
    should i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

chris11 wrote: »
    I'm installing the radio at the mo',everything is going fine and the cd player is working the only problem is the radio isn't tuning in any stations,what
    should i do?

Are you sure you reattached the radio connector (usually black in colour with a 2-3 cm long head on it) that plugs in separately to the ISO connector? (usually on the opposite end of the radio body rear).

Yes i've connected the iso connector and the radio is powering on alright but the tuner is only picking up static. I've connected the ariel connection but still can not tune in any radio stations.have u any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Just a thought, if the old/another spare radio fits the ISO connector, it would be worth checking if it can tune in or not.

At this stage I'm wondering if its the new radio or if the aerial lead has detached between the radio end and the aerial body.

cheers man i got it in the end,cant believe i almost paid someone to put it in for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what was the problem chris?

Advertisement