Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda background check for firearm cert approval

• 20-06-2008 11:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I was recently called down to the local station to sign a firearms cert that i submitted a month ago.
    The female guard at the desk handed me the whole file which contained my application (for signing) and the back ground checks that the police carried out. I only managed to read the first background sheet before the guard returned to the front desk. I believe that the file contained 3 sheets of prior incidents.

Where might a person go to find out such information that the garda have on file without causing a fuss or rocking the boat and biting the hand the gives the firearms cert???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Without causing a fuss or rocking a boat, you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Are they covered under freedom of information? That's one way.

Another might be data protection act. Under that you are entitled to see what's held about you on computer systems, you also have a right to have untrue data amended.

There might be a problem if you're a drug dealer with anonymous reports about you but for the normal head it will probably contain stuff along the lines of "no previous convictions" or "4 penalty points for speeding". Seriously, most of what the state holds about you is forms that you have signed yourself.

Guards may have some exemptions, should be something available though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

it all depends on ivan....what happened buddy

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I think the Gardai have a pretty broad set of exemptions from the FOI Act.

Odds are you'll never know.

true coner but this is for ivan to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

murky past and attempts to find loopholes maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 john mcvey

it is very easy to do and does not cause any fuss,
    i was going to work overseas and in the particular country i was going to you needed a security check which meant a clearence from your home country police force,
    all you do is ask them and it is given to you.took me a couple of weeks for it to come through.
    as long as you have passport or another photographic id .
    hope this is of some help.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

murky past and attempts to find loopholes maybe :D

Interesting you should use that word bunny seeing as loopholes were originally openings in fortifications to allow archers to shoot out without exposing them to incoming arrows. :D

I was recently called down to the local station to sign a firearms cert that i submitted a month ago.
    The female guard at the desk handed me the whole file which contained my application (for signing) and the back ground checks that the police carried out. I only managed to read the first background sheet before the guard returned to the front desk. I believe that the file contained 3 sheets of prior incidents.

Where might a person go to find out such information that the garda have on file without causing a fuss or rocking the boat and biting the hand the gives the firearms cert???

Did you ask her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A security clearence here is,a High ranking Garda saying.We have no record of Joe Bloggs doing anthing nasty at all on our patch,so he is a good boy and you can let him in no bother to any part of your world.

A Garda File on you is.Everything henious and nasty you might have done in the Irish Republic.This could be anything from having a pee in a public place,to attempting to off the Dail members. Trying to get that info off them is like asking for the prez of the USA for the ICBM launch codes.
    At the moment the Gardai are exempt from the FOI,and Data protection to a certain degree.Which has been teeing off the FOI comissioner no end.

Ivan was actually in a very unique situation there.The Ban Garda gave him the total file on him[Screwup no 1].By doing so she was giving him permission to view the whole file,as he wouldnt/couldnt be sure that there was anything else revelant there that might need signing or reviewing.Should have kept reading mate,and screw the reaction. Not your fault they hand out State secrets on you.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Did you ask her?
    No i didnt..
    Ah sure there is always next time:p

You have all heard the rule of thumb that you can contact anybody in the world through seven subsequent acquaintances, well it would seem that the garda are very good at this particular rule of thumb.

When i looked at the top of this check sheet I saw the name of a man know to the garda and to locals for selling drugs. This man used his illegal profits established several small business, prob to lander cash. It is pure chance that a friend of mine used to work in one of the small businesses before this drug dealer bought it. I suppose my friend could have left but every one needs money to live.

As time went on the police got to know any and all of the dealers employees and friends or buyers,,, and so my friends name went on to the list.

Then in 2002 i met up with this chap who worked (legally) for the dealer. We happened to meet up in a bus terminus and we got out of our cars to have a chat. We were joined by a mutual friend and that was great until the cops pulled into the terminus and started searching us for ?????. BTW this only happened 150yards from my house. The garda knew this chap by his first name and TBH we knew why.
    All the lads had told him to quit but he had a free van and phone and a few quid in his hand and i suppose he couldnt see where he might match such a deal.
    Any way i went home and TBH i never thought anymore about the incident until i read the file in the local garda station and i saw this drug dealers name at the top of the sheet if you dont mind, and BTW i never spoke to this man- ever.

While i was reading the file TBH with you I nearly dropped, I thought that my mind or my eyes were playing tricks on me. I suppose the shock of reading the contents of this file, which BTW claimed that the two lads i was talking to we're both involved in transportation of illegal substances, left me limp.

And the very fact that i got such drop probable stopped me from realising that i should read on quickly be for the guard returned to the front desk.

So the moral of the story is that if you want to keep a clean bill of garda health than you better be a bit more ruthless when it comes to your mates..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The pulse printout for your car could make very interesting reading also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's interesting OP. My firearm certificate is due for renewal very soon. The only time the Guards came out to the house was to inspect the weapons locker, it is screwed into the wall. Maybe they are just being overly concerned about people's licenses. Never had any problems renewing it, and this will be my third time.

ivan it looks like you are too close to that sort for comfort for the guards.

Right. Spamming posts and general muppetry deleted and thehair is taking a week off to cool down.

BTW i'd just like to iron out the issue of my friend working for a drug dealer.

I told you my friend worked in a small local business, for a couple of years. He worked for an old old woman and he had worked for her since he was a small child, in fact he was now running and managing this entire business for this old woman.

One day the woman dies and her children turn up and have no interest in the mothers business. They sell the house & the business and split the money up between them.

Now Mr drug dealer buys that business and my poor mate through no great fault of his own is now working for a total nut bag and to be honest with you he wasn't happy but he had a small child and needed the money. What was he meant to do?? Its not so easy to find a job that he knew inside and on which provided him with health care car and phone plus the wk-ly wage was good. And TBH he wasn't committing any crime in actual fact he was providing the community with and absolutely necessary service.

Ivan, I've deleted your post above. By my count, you gave cause for a libel suit against boards.ie at least three times in that post in as many sentences. If you're going to repost pertinent information - not opinion on the character of Gardai - please keep in mind that if you libel someone here, you get off scott free and boards.ie gets sued.

In fact, this really isn't a shooting thread except tangentially, and since they've discussed this area before, I'm kicking this one over to the Legal Discussion forum. Be sure to read the Legal Discussion charter before posting here - you're not in the Shooting forum anymore, different rules apply.

Sparks wrote: »
    In fact, this really isn't a shooting thread except tangentially, and since they've discussed this area before, I'm kicking this one over to the Legal Discussion forum. Be sure to read the Legal Discussion charter before posting here - you're not in the Shooting forum anymore, different rules apply.
    What? just close the fcken thing then. movin sh1t around. Fucc this shht.

AFAIK if your known by the Gardai to have acquaintances who are known criminals this will barr you from a firearms cert

• Advertisement

What? just close the fcken thing then. movin sh1t around. Fucc this shht.

Another happy customer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Was this a firearms cert Ivan was picking up or applying for. I assume he got certs before. Is this an issue at all?

This is the second cert so i'm not too worried but TBH i'd just like to know what they have on file.

AFAIK if your known by the Gardai to have acquaintances who are known criminals this will barr you from a firearms cert
    In theory, no, that's insufficient. In practise, 99 times out of a hundred, yup, forget about it.

Advertisement