Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

squeaky brakes!

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi people,

Currently driving an 01 Opel Astra and the brakes are incredibly squeaky! Annoying to say the least. Just wondering is there anything I can do about it?..without taking a spin to the garage..

Cheers in advance for the replies!

Cul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Assuming you haven't got them replaced recently, your brake pads may be worn down to the metal and are rubbing off the disc. This will cause a squeak while driving.

You should get to the garage for certain and get them looked at!

If you have had them replaced, non manufacturer brakes can squeal even when they are perfectly ok, I personally always buy OEM brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the pads are not worn, they may need a dab of special grease at the back. Some pads squeak if this is not done when the pads are being fitted. Get the brakes checked - if they are worn, and you keep using the car, you will need to replace the disks as well.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

could have dirt between the pads/brake causing a scraping/squeak

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Yep, a dab of copper grease on the BACK of the pad should stop the squealing.Could be just a stone stuck in one of the pads too though.Not sure about yor model car but, are the pad retaining clips in place? If they're not, or are broken, this could cause the pad to move slightly in the caliper when braking, making noise..

Advertisement