Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tint application?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Okay...so I've bought this stuff on ebay and was wondering how long I should set aside for putting it on and the best way of doing so.

I'm only planning on doing the rear windscreen and rear windows and quarter.

How many helpers do I need to rope in?

Should I take out the windows??

car can be viewed in post a pic 3.

Won't be this weekend anyway as I'm doing the charity cycle in my sig.

(*hint hint* click the link and see if you'd like to donate to the worthy cause)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kev_mcevoy_7

bin there, done that, never ever again.

mine turned out a diseaster.

firstly im told you need to wet the windows with soapy water for ease of application, and some times depending on the size of the window you may need to apply in 2-3 pieces of tint....

i bought the tint on e-bay aswell, started one saturday morning and ended up ripping it all off...it was a diseaster...

if you have some one who has done it before it ould be the best.
    also the more hands the better and plenty of bank/credit cards...very handy for applying..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Rear window is normally done in 2-3 sections, but if you have a hatchback you could just leave the boot door open.

To make life easier for yourself, place the film on the outside of the glass and cut to shape; saves you trying to do it inside. Also ensure that you have an extremely sharp blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Save yourself the torment and get a professional to do it. It is a notoriously difficult job to get right unless you know what you are doing, which I gather you don't from your post. Seriously - a proper tint looks great... but there is nothing worse than some dodgy home job. It will ruin any car!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not taking the mick, but why bother?

Even done well tinted windows look chavtastic in my view. You'll get less courtesy from other motorists (bar the odd "stary bud?":D) and the cops will pay you more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I did consider it could look sh1t and end up looking like the "stary bud" mothership, which is why I asked here. I wouldn't imagine it's too dar though, not complete blackout which is just plain scummy alright on a car this size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

At that price, you're probably as well to try doing it yourself. If you make a mess of it you're only down €25, and even if you get it perfect you may well end up deciding that your car looks better (and that you have better visibility) with no tint. In this case, you're still only down €25.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

bin there, done that, never ever again.

I spent about 10 hours doing an A4 and I'd never do it again. Took all the side windows out to do it. Rear window was a pain in the ****.
    Curved glass and a film that doesn't have great elastacity will give you a pain in between the eyes.
    Your best bet is to try it with 1 pane, out of the car. If you can do it and are pleased with the results, do the rest. Otherwise, have some thinners at hand to take off the adhesive film and get a pro to do it - it'll cost about €250 and any reputable fitter will give you a guarantee with it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    At that price, you're probably as well to try doing it yourself. If you make a mess of it you're only down €25, and even if you get it perfect you may well end up deciding that your car looks better (and that you have better visibility) with no tint. In this case, you're still only down €25.:)

That's what I was thinking alright;)
    If I get it professionally fitted and then decide the tint is too dark I'll have wasted €250.

Cheers for all the advice guys

if you have some one who has done it before it ould be the best.
    also the more hands the better and plenty of bank/credit cards...very handy for applying..

there's an applicator pack with it. Looks like next weekend is out too though. Going to the Euro rowing championships in Cork, friend's brother found out he qualified during the week.

Advertisement