Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars with indicator stalk on right hand side

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

One of the best* things about my hyundai accent is that the indicator stalk is on the right hand side of the steering wheel... handy for changing gears whilst indicating on roundabouts, for instance.
    It does make it extremely difficult to get used to the normal layout of indicators on the left though...

I understand hyundai are phasing this out on their newer models.
    What other cars out there have the indicator on RHS?

*yes, there are multiple good things about a hyundai accent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mitsus used to anyway

ps. you should indicate, brake and then change gear;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a W124 and a W202 Mercedes, both of which were the same. One stalk for everything (apart from cruise), too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't all Jap imports have them on the right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

As far as i know jap imports do have the indicator stalk on the right(at least any i've come across which were mostly hondas)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Lol I bet your sticking on the wipers all the time when driving other cars.

Reminds me of the time I was meant to flash my brother when I was passing him on the road.....instead I sprayed water on the windscreen :D

Anyway I like it on the left as it is on most cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The Citroen CX had a switch on the dash for the indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In a RHD car the indicator belongs on the right, it's called e r g o n o m i c s !

Anything that has the stalk on the left is just a moneysaving excercise, as they use the same stalks as the LHD cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Indicators should be on the right for right hand drive cars.

Not sure how they came to be on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

peasant wrote: »
    Anything that has the stalk on the left is just a moneysaving excercise, as they use the same stalks as the LHD cars.

Was thinking about that after my post.

Slightly off topic but are the fuel caps on the same side regardless of whether its a RHD or LHD model. I assume its is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most of the Kia range still has indicators on the right, Hyundai i10, i30 and Sonata now have them on the left.

As I understand it, it's useful to have the petrol tank on the passenger side of the car, makes life easier at petrol stations. so my guess is that for the cars we get, manufacturers like Toyota and Nissan put them on the left hand side, as more of their cars will be sold in RHD. European cars usually have them on the right,

there are exceptions of course. Unusually, my JDM car has the tank on the right, it's very handy for RHD cars to have the indicators on the right, makes similtaniously changing down to 2nd and indicating whilst coming out of a roundabout that bit easier!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Don't all Jap imports have them on the right??

That's what i was thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

peasant wrote: »
    In a RHD car the indicator belongs on the right, it's called e r g o n o m i c s !

It used to be that way, but people where getting confused, when they where on different sides. so they have now standardised them to the left for Europe and AFAIK the rest are following slowly. Bit like when the horn could be anywhere.

Always was a pain as my old car had them on the right and everything else is on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

'92 and '96 HiLux(es!) have the indicator switch on the right, neither were Jap imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup. Toyota starteed to make the change to the left in the mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Del2005 wrote: »
    It used to be that way, but people where getting confused, when they where on different sides. so they have now standardised them to the left for Europe and AFAIK the rest are following slowly. Bit like when the horn could be anywhere.

Always was a pain as my old car had them on the right and everything else is on the left.

it is a case of the cart following the horse though.

Originally most cars sold had the stalk on the right (e.g. my 1974 Ford Capri), but with the Capri at least my understanding is once production shifted from Dagenham to Germany the stalks changed.

By the 1980s only Jap cars had them on the right, and now we are left with only a handful of Korean Cars.

At least it isn't as big a crime against ergonomics as most french cars which look as is the RHD conversion was done in a local workshop. Unfortunately the 5 series isn't much better. BMW obviously does't see it worthwhile to have the wipers park the correct way on that car.

Advertisement