Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are fog lights really necessary in Irish weather?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am currently shopping around for a car- most likely a Focus- and one of my criteria is that it must have fog lights. Most of them don't. Do you think there is any point in having them? We rarely get fog but I would be nervous about not having them in case the weather is ever really bad- living in Ireland and all! If I bought a car without them would I be able to get them fitted at a garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They're actually very handy on non lit narrow roads for showing the verges.

I could live without them, rear ones are more important for torrential rain and fog so you don't GET hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The kind of fog where fog lights really make sense, the real pea-souper that your normal lights just turn into a white wall, is actually very rare. From that point of view front foglights are anything but a "must have". At least one rear fog light is standard on every car since 1980something.

Now we could take about other usages of front fogs (those that they weren't meant or designed and mustn't be used for) ...but then we would all be banned from this forum (read the charter and you'll understand) :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd use mine maybe a couple of times a year. Front fog lights are perhaps 1% as important as something like air conditioning, for example.

Oh, if you absolutely have to have some extra lights upfront ...get some daytime running lamps fitted ...much more sense in having those.

peasant wrote: »
    Oh, if you absolutely have to have some extra lights upfront ...get some daytime running lamps fitted ...much more sense in having those.
    Or just leave the headlights on?;)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Or just leave the headlights on?;)
    #

Yeees ..but they're not extra, you see ... (plus DRL's use less juice and thus save fuel)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Front fog lights are a good way to tell people you don't have a base model though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Front fog lights are a good way to tell people you don't have a base model though.

In case you feel the urgent and compelling need to convey that message :D

Although, perversely, the brightest seem to be the ones fitted to the last generation Micras.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote: »
    Although, perversely, the brightest seem to be the ones fitted to the last generation Micras.
    Worst aligned anyway!

• Advertisement

ooooh ...we're inching ever closer to the unspeakable.

First one to mention it gets a special price (one month ban :pac:)

Actually no ...on second thought ...I'll close this one before we come to announcing the winner.

but not before answereing the OP's second question:

Yes, by all means, you can get them fitted afterwards (may not always be easy or cheap though unless you go for Halfords finest screw-on ones)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement