Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a new gaming pc

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

Hey lads

I'm completly sick of my current computer so I'm looking at getting a new one.

I'm thinking along the lines of

pcnx1.th.jpg

But I'm not entirely sure about any of it really so any help/guidence would be appreciated.

A few questions though,
    - Vista 64bit, is it worth it?
    - I picked the case because 'it looked ok' so no idea if it's any good.
    - Should I go Sli or just get 1 gx2 instead?
    - I'm no entirely sold on getting quad core, from what I've read it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference, so not sure on that either.

I'm sure there'll be more questions soon!
    My budget is around 1300 give or take.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For the hard drive you should get a samsung spinpoint f1. They offer good performance for the money.

Vista 64bit - There are a few people on here using it and I haven't heard much complaints from them or anyone. It seems to be at a point where I reckon microsoft should seriously consider phasing out vista 32 bit.

What monitor will you be using and what resolution will it be?

Don't know much about that case but for an extra €30 or so you could get the antec 900 which is meant to be a very good case for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

9800gtx are way over priced, they are like 15% ( tops ) faster than 8800gt and more than double the price.

If your going to overclock you might as well get a Quad, E8400 will probably top out at 3.80ghz, Q6600 3.40ghz

If your on a 22" or bigger its all about the graphics card anyway so a Quad would be the better option imo.

780i isnt worth the cash over a 750i imo, nice one here with most of the features of 780i with a nice cpu cooler

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=20345&agid=659

Agree with Almighty go with samsung F1

Everything else is fine.

l0a2na6wtj2fd8ggpr2g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yeah I forgot to mention, it's a 22" monitor running at 1680x1050.

I wasn't planning on overclocking but I may look into it, how easy is it?

Also, would I need to get a better fan if I was overclocking or will the standard box one do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

overclocking on a MSi mobo is quite difficult, i can't do it without alot of bluescreens, stress tests crashing and graphics card problems!

• Advertisement
Advertisement