Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Societies during the Summer

Options
  • 21-06-2008 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Do clubs and societies stay open during the summer?

For example, if I wanted to join some sort of sport/hobby would I need to wait until September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

The fencing club trains wed night 8 to 10. It's more for people with some exp of fencing but I'm sure you can head down and see what it is like. Say Paul sent you! Feel free to PM if you have any question in relation to the sport.

The soc tend not to stay open but the sport clubs do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think at the moment, the only thing the socities are doing is arranging events for next year at best! On the other hand many of the big sports clubs will be open. Any high fitness ones cos they need to keep that up. But take into account their calander-like the rowing season is over in July so not as many would be around after that. Try emailing the bigger ones to see whats going. I know a friend wanted to get fit for summer so joined the boxing club in UCC that trains 3 nights. I'd assume its the same up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I know Gamesoc is mainly just doing planning for the year to come, since so few people are about, though we are organising a trip to a convention in Clonmel in the future, and there are a few things bobbing about that we could introduce people to.

Really, we're running at a dramatically reduced rate, as I'd imagine most socs are, since most people aren't around. Drop me a PM if you;re interested in anything though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Raphael wrote: »
    I know Gamesoc is mainly just doing planning for the year to come, since so few people are about, though we are organising a trip to a convention in Clonmel in the future, and there are a few things bobbing about that we could introduce people to.

Really, we're running at a dramatically reduced rate, as I'd imagine most socs are, since most people aren't around. Drop me a PM if you;re interested in anything though!

Ah no way! You're a gamesoc person! I already joined assasins! ;)

Not just any Gamesoc person, at present I'm a Gamesoc auditor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Raphael wrote: »
    Not just any Gamesoc person, at present I'm a Gamesoc auditor!

All hail King Raphael;)

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

All hail King Raphael;)

Ok, so if you're king, what does that make me?

Another game soc person??!!! :eek:

Are yiz the guys who dwell outside Th.L everyday making weird noises?

I'm the former Auditor, I ran the society last year.

It's quite possible that we are those people outside theatre L, it's one of the places we tend to hang out.

• Advertisement

I'm the former Auditor, I ran the society last year.

It's quite possible that we are those people outside theatre L, it's one of the places we tend to hang out.

Heh, me too. You'd deffo recognise me if you saw me. Ha freaky!!

Is assasins coming back on this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Any Lans?

Grimes wrote: »
    Any Lans?

:confused:

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Another game soc person??!!! :eek:

Are yiz the guys who dwell outside Th.L everyday making weird noises?

You say GameSoc people like it's a bad thing... :p

You say GameSoc people like it's a bad thing... :p

No, no! I just see them ALL the time. There's been times when they were all left behind til it was dark and I was still there too! In fairness, the weird dolphin noise kinda attracts attention! :D

I walked up to some guy at the smoking wall and said "Hi, your in gamesoc right?" . He gave me a very dirty look and just said "No"

I walked up to some guy at the smoking wall and said "Hi, your in gamesoc right?" . He gave me a very dirty look and just said "No"

The Arts block is a very cold place. I love chatting to new people and I've no problem with randomers joining in when I'm with my friends but the Newman building seems to be crawling with anti-social, unfriendly f*cks!

Very clicky and primary school-ish.

Why the coldness??? WHY??????? :confused:

I think it gives an air of gravitas to my otherwise irrelevant degree. :p Nothing better than standing there, smoking a silky smooth marlborough in a long black coat, swivelling a cup of coffee like a fine merlot until my hands get burnie whilsts staring and judging people.

Its really funny when there are 50 people all doing it to eachother in a big circle

I think it gives an air of gravitas to my otherwise irrelevant degree. :p Nothing better than standing there, smoking a silky smooth marlborough in a long black coat, swivelling a cup of coffee like a fine merlot until my hands get burnie whilsts staring and judging people.

Its really funny when there are 50 people all doing it to eachother in a big circle

Less of the Arts bashing! ;) Didn't you say you walked up to a guy and asked if he was in GameSoc? That was a pretty sociable thing to do. Don't think your as judgemental as you want us to think. There's a soft caramel centre in there... isn't there?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

...but onto the topic at hand.

ALL societies of any size are active at the moment, mostly trying to sort out new committee ills, getting sponsorship for freshers week, sorting out upcoming events for the year, putting forward for capital grants etc... For 'new' members there probably isn't a whole lot to do though - however, if cleaning out and doing inventory of a dirty theatre floats your boat feel free to PM me :D

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Heh, me too. You'd deffo recognise me if you saw me. Ha freaky!!

Is assasins coming back on this year?
    Yep, we intend to have sign-ups during freshers week, starting the week after.
    Any Lans?
    We plan to, we actually have a fulltime video-games officer this year (which was missing from the committee this year), so we should be much more active on that front
    Deposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Raphael wrote:
    Deposed?

I was gonna go with dead ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

The Ninjutsu club trains in hall C Tuesdays 6-8 and in Aughrim Street Sports Centre, off the Noth Circular Road, Thursdays 8-9:30.

The Shaolin club trains wherever we find space in the Sports Centre, Wednesdays 8-10, Thursdays 7-9 and Saturdays. On Saturdays 12-1 is fitness and flexibility, 1-3 normal training, 3-3:45ish lunch and 3:45-5 more training. People come and go.

You're welcome in either club.:)

Slippers wrote: »
    The Ninjutsu club trains in hall C Tuesdays 6-8 and in Aughrim Street Sports Centre, off the Noth Circular Road, Thursdays 8-9:30.

The Shaolin club trains wherever we find space in the Sports Centre, Wednesdays 8-10, Thursdays 7-9 and Saturdays. On Saturdays 12-1 is fitness and flexibility, 1-3 normal training, 3-3:45ish lunch and 3:45-5 more training. People come and go.

You're welcome in either club.:)

Thank You. I was actually gona join Ninjutsu, I'd love to try it but my friend wouldn't come with me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

If you come along after Freshers' Week most of the people will be new like yourself.

Zounds wrote: »
    I was gonna go with dead ;P

I was thinking dead, but I'm still around to annoy you, and I still have some minor pull here and there. Deposed makes mores sense.

The Dogging Society is still in full .... swing. We usually meet in the LGs around the Arts block at 7pm on Fridays. Feel free to come along and introduce yourself to us. You just missed the AGM. It was great crack, we got nothing done !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The Dogging Society is still in full .... swing. We usually meet in the LGs around the Arts block at 7pm on Fridays. Feel free to come along and introduce yourself to us. You just missed the AGM. It was great crack, we got nothing done !

The what now?

Advertisement