Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My newborn

Options
  • 21-06-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

HI,

I am a dad now well the best daddy in the world :). Basically my new born is not latching on the mother's nipple on side and on the other side the baby is latching on but it now sore and basically cant be used to the point that the nipple is scared and sore.

The problem is we tried now switching to bottle feed the baby takes like 6 min and stright to sleep after is that normal? same with the breast feeding before nipple problems.

My little super hero sleeps a lot and when he does cry it only last for a short while usually my voice or being on super mummies chest.

He got his first injection and he didnt cry, is that normal or am I just over reacting, the other kids cried oh I dont want my kid to cry by the way. It;s a boy by the way. According to the doctors, baby doctor and nurse. The baby is fine and health and his sucking is good and strong.

I can't help being concerned. God I even what to cry :( I just want my superman to be ok and eat eat eat. I am scared for some earied reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Breathe in, breathe out, and relax.

It never goes like clockwork and never like it says in the books. Baby sounds content, and yes it is exhausting for them having their dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Y ou have to persevere with breastfeeding it can take 6-8 weeks to get established.Buy a nipple gaurd if the breast is inverted and buy bio fem its for sore and cracked nipples,its worth it.And most importantly get in contact with la leche league or your local nurse there advice is invaluablle.If you need any info pm me.As you can guess i am passionate about breastfeeding my 3 kids have all been bf.It is hard at the beginning but keep going and it will work out in the aend. Also want to say introducing a bottle will interfere with the milk how old is baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Thanks people. The baby is going 3 days old today. I think the nurses are goingt o focus on just the breast milk today and get her ready because she should be discharged tomorrow. I really want my kid to be breast feed but if my partner can't I just have to be there to support her. Well fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

I treid breast feeding but like your partner Op it got to sore as baby wasn't latching properly most of the time... It got unbearable....

My little girl was 3 days old when i switched her to the bottle... It took a few feeds for her to start drinking from it properly but was fine after that...

P.S hold baby away from you.. ie. his head in your hand facing you straight on when feeding from bottle (if it turns to that)....

I found that my little girl drank more then because she wasn't too comfy and tended to stay awake much longer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Lie down in the bed with baby facing you they will open wide enough.I FOUND THIS THE BEST WAY cause its so relaxing antway in hospital you dont have enough privacy but at home you do.Nurse will call if you need help and theres plenty of help out there,so you are notalone.Think of the benefits no bottles to wash and sterlize baby cries in middle of nite puy baby in with you to feed its lovely .Its like most things you have to try try until you get it right.And putting baby to bottle isnt always the easiest thing to do.Hope it goes alrite pm me if you want any advice.i will do my best

• Advertisement

Thanks again people :). My partner is now using breast milk through bottle feeding :). The baby is taking it and eating a lot even though he throws up a bit after winding maybe because of the air in the bottles.

My little super hero is now 3-4 days old. He still sleeps a lot and doesnt cry much atm. Now I have to researh to temperatue that the water should be for a baby when bathing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi and Congrats!

Breastfeeding can be incredibly difficult at the start. I remember giving my little one a couple of bottles of EBM in the early days because I couldn't face the pain:( But it does get easier. My baby was a "little and often" person (still is) which meant whether he had a bottle or breastfeed he would only take a little bit at a time and want more in an hour. Great for him but bad for sore boobs. After the first week or so the pain subsided but it took a good few weeks before it was comfortable.

My little lad didn't cry at any of his injections either. We think he's made of rubber:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Welcome to Parenthood, OP! And welcome to the worry that goes with it too!!! You're both doing a great job. The nipples gets sore because they're not yet accustomed to being sucked at so frequently, but they will toughen up by the time baby is about 7 days old - I promise! And it's a good idea that you feed baby with expressed milk because then baby will bond with you, too, and your wife can go off to get her hair done or do the shopping while you mind baby. And may he continue his good sleep pattern - fingers crossed!
    Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

OP, it sond slike things are improving for you. But if you have any concerns about your wee guy then get him checked over.

Poor feeding can be normal. Or it can be because of jaundice, infection, physical problems with the suck/mouth or a thousand more probs.

So, if you're concerned get him checked out.

Keep in close contcat with your community midwife, too, they're invaluable for things like this.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OP, I recommend you get this book. Whatever is concerning you, you will find it discussed in this book and it will either put your mind at ease or alert you if baby needs medical attention. It was my lifeline, especially for my first baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Babies can be a little drowsy on the first couple of days, depends on what Mum was given during labour, usually changes after about 5 days.

Some babies don't cry that much, my eldest has an unbelievable pain threashold while my youngest cries at the smallest little bump.

Best of luck with the breast feeding, a God send for dads ;) especially in the middle of the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

For breastfeeding support, give Cuidiu a call. They have a support line and have fully trained breastfeeding consultants on rota to take these calls.

The breastfeeding is great. For my mrs, she breastfed our 4 and each time it took a few weeks for her nipples to adjust. Once past that its great. No need to bring bottles anywhere, no sterilising, readymade milk etc...

Don't worry, you'll be given the job of burping so you won't miss out on cuddles :D.

Ah its better now the baby is on breast milk in a bottle. We also got him checked and he is fine :D he doesnt cry at night only to eat. Thanks all.

+update+

I am just woundring if am panicing too much. My lil superhero isn't cry at all today he eats and sleeps for like 4 hours :S. This is not jim he usually cries but today its just quiet eats and sleep thats all.

Am i over reacting me and the supermummy are both panicy :S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Talk to the nurses or public health nurse if you're at home if you are concerned. Every baby is different so don't worry about 'normal'. Newborns sleep for about 18 hours a day all in all. My daughter hardly ate for the first few days then all of a sudden started eating me out of house and home. Crying depends on the baby too, some times they have good days others are worse. If the baby is hardly crying at all in a few days i would ask the nurse to be safe. My daughter didn't cry at her first needle either but the next ones she went beserk!

congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

if your little super hero is feeding as normal, and doesnt have a temp than i wouldnt worry just yet, keep an eye on temp and if you are still worried than ask phn or gp to check him over,

lots of babies go through content phases, it breaks up the wind me, change me and feed me phase. plus when babies are going through a growth spurt they sleep a little longer and eat more for a few days,

forgot to say congrats by the way.

Advertisement