Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saints Row rips into GTA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

meh, if SR wasnt a piss poor copy of GTA this might be funny, the new one could be alright but when it has to advertise itself like that it smacks of desperation, i dont think Rockstar are exactly quaking in their boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I wouldn't sat SR is a poor copy. Im a big GTA fan, but Saints Row was a good game.
    There's no reason to suggest this wont be either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I think it was Kotaku that made the comment that this is a very pompous ad. The idea that people will say 'oh GTA was so boring, thank god we have a second rate copy here instead' is laughable. Saint's Row either needs to do something truly new and groundbreaking, or know it's place, as a fun distraction between GTA releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I think it was Kotaku that made the comment that this is a very pompous ad. The idea that people will say 'oh GTA was so boring, thank god we have a second rate copy here instead' is laughable. Saint's Row either needs to do something truly new and groundbreaking, or know it's place, as a fun distraction between GTA releases.

It's not pompous at all, it's tongue-in-cheek like both games. I think it's a good ad and will probably pick this game up as the first was good for some laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I think the ad fails in the same way the first Saints Row did. It tries too hard to be funny, and to match GTA.

They actually had a good game in Saints Row but the humour was awful throughout, and it just never lived up to GTA.

With IV going more realistic and "gritty", SR2 has the chance to fill the more wacky niche that San Andreas filled, so I'm looking forward. The humour in the trailers so far has been cringeworthy though. They need better writers badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

SR2 looks good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

steviec wrote: »
    I think the ad fails in the same way the first Saints Row did. It tries too hard to be funny, and to match GTA.

They actually had a good game in Saints Row but the humour was awful throughout, and it just never lived up to GTA.

With IV going more realistic and "gritty", SR2 has the chance to fill the more wacky niche that San Andreas filled, so I'm looking forward. The humour in the trailers so far has been cringeworthy though. They need better writers badly.

i think you hit the nail on the head. under the hood, saints row isn't that bad. and obviously this time round they've had enough time and money to get the code right. however, i smell a lack of confidence (despite that trailer) because at this point of the marketing for GTA, i knew about the city, the interactivity and we had a rake of press previews to read through. at this point in SR's lifespan, i don't have the same information because they're being cagey... which isn't actually a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it just me or does Saints Row just not look right? Same with SR 2...it just does not look right...then again, it could be because I have grown up playing GTA...but SR and SR2 just does not look or feel right. I dunno....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Saints Row... meh

anything that has to sell itself by trying to knock the competition is usually something that cant sell on its own merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

faceman wrote: »
    Saints Row... meh

anything that has to sell itself by trying to knock the competition is usually something that cant sell on its own merits.

Is that not what advertising in general is about? Proving why you should buy one item over another...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

looks pretty class tbh

Advertisement