Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question Guys!

• 21-06-2008 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

ok i got some guy to look at my pc for some problem ages ago and he created 2 seperate hard drives from the original 60BG one, So nows Its the C Drive(40GB) and E Drive (20GB) , im wondering does anybody know how to put them back to the original. Not too worried about lossing data because im reinstalling windows anyways!! Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

During the re-install delete the two partitions and then format them as one drive.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

When you're reinstalling Windows you get an option to use existing partitions or delete partitions. Select the delete partitions option - delete both - then let the Windows install create a single 60Gb partition. This will delete ALL data. I know you said you're not concerned but this point needs stressing. OS, installed programs, data - all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Macros42 wrote: »
    When you're reinstalling Windows you get an option to use existing partitions or delete partitions. Select the delete partitions option - delete both - then let the Windows install create a single 60Gb partition. This will delete ALL data. I know you said you're not concerned but this point needs stressing. OS, installed programs, data - all gone.

well i just want it back to when i first got it. The few installed programs & OS when i first got the laptop? is that the way to do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Above method will erase all your files then re-create the partition, format it and then you're ready to re-install XP. Windows doens't have a merge partiton that I know of.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

well i just want it back to when i first got it. The few installed programs & OS when i first got the laptop? is that the way to do it??

What make is it? Most manufacturers provide a recovery disk which will reset it back to factory level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bestinwest90

Dell Inspirin 8600!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you reformat the hard drive and re-load the OS then as others have said you lose everything that is currently on the drive. When you then load Windows you will get only those programs that are part of Windows. If you have any non-windows programs that you want to retain (like AV software for example) you will need to save them to a removable disk first unless you have their original CDs. Even then, most programs put some essential files like the registration files in the System 32 folder and won't run without them, so you will need to make sure that you have the licence code for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now see people, this is a place where vista is win and sex, for now in the Computer Management console (also in XP, but not nearly so cool) Vista has the tools built in to shrink and repartition your hard drive on the fly, without any 3rd party malarky, reformatting, or even restarting your PC.

Just thought I'd add that bean to the pot. Ive used the tool a few times with no hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

E: would be a great place for a backup image

Any half decent linux live CD will allow you to delete E: and resize C:
    puppylinux
    knoppix
    ubuntu

the program will be called qtpartimage / gpartimage depending on the distro

partition magic has been called partition tragic ;)

you could also extent the C: in to the empty space where E: was if you convert the drive to a dynamic one from a basic NTFS one

but on a new install , just remove all the partitions and start a new one, make sure you have all the drivers especially SATA drivers if needed,

Advertisement