Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another gaming PC thread hehe

Options
  • 21-06-2008 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hiya everyone,

My 6 year old PC almost died on me last night, basically a vegetable now lol. As much as it served me well I'm bloody delighted, excuse to finally get something decent.

I plan on getting one built through Komplett and my budget would be about 600-900. Its a broad budget because I'm fairly unsure of the price of what I want.

Basically I'm looking for decent gaming build. I play WoW and for once I would love to have the graphics on full lol. I'm not too fussed about any fancy gimmicks just would love a long lasting decent PC.

I've never had any experience with how good Komplett are myself but heard they're pretty decent.

So down to business...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/cc.aspx?bn=10306

I can either go for

KOMPLETT™ PC-Kit Intel Core2 DUO € 557.55
    or
    KOMPLETT™ Intel Delta V € 784.43

All I plan on adding to it would be:

4gigs of ram
    An awesome graphics card - not too dear though hehe
    No operating system.

So any ideas on which comp I should get and what different types of components will do me? I just want other peoples opinions because I'm a tad clueless.

Graphics card -
    Ram -
    Soundcard-
    Processer-

Thanks in advance,

Flo :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Virgil°

If your only want is WOW on full then the first built on komplett you have there for 500 odd is MORE than enough.
    You wouldn't need to add anything else unless you want it to perform at the highest end gaming, and even then it would struggle by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You won't need 4GB of RAM if you are using a 32bit operating system. 2-3GB would be loads. As for a graphics card I would reccomend an 8800GTS. You won't need a soundcard as most motherboards will have a more that adequate one built-in. A Quad core processor would be a better choice but if you're short of money I'd go for a Dual core like an E6700.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Hi all thanks for the replies. I plan on getting 64bit Vista, sorry I should have stated, hence the need for the 4gigs. Although now im thinking about getting a laptop lol.

@Sqaull20, I spotted that offer but I think its expired? Shame it was almost perfect.

@Cian1500ww, Cheers for that, 8800GTS is what Il go for. Still unsure what bundle to take on Komplett so will have to see about getting the Quad core.

@Virgil°;, Do you think it would be worth spending the extra 200 for the 2nd one at all? What I was unsure about mainly was if there was much difference in the two. But if the other if high end for gaming, I might just splash out hehe.

Thanks again for all the replies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Flojo wrote: »

@Virgil°;, Do you think it would be worth spending the extra 200 for the 2nd one at all? What I was unsure about mainly was if there was much difference in the two. But if the other if high end for gaming, I might just splash out hehe.
    Well the second is a bit better but not HUGELY. First and foremost you need to get straight what you want from your Pc.If WOW is all you want then the first build will be fine. If you definately want high end gaming then 700 or thereabouts will probably see you through.
    Although you might wanna reconsider what you're buying and where. Sqaull20's builds are a safe bet.

• Advertisement

Ok cheers all for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Have you purchased yet. I'd go for a ati 4850 and an E8400 or E8500 if i were you.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    E8400 or E8500 if i were you.
    He'd be as well getting a quad core at that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

People always underestimate WoW's power hungriness, it needs decent rig when you have everything turned up to max. A raid with loads of Adds, 25 players, AOE, crap going off everywhere......can make even a decent rig groan, and those times are the times you need smooth frame rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

cian1500ww wrote: »
    He'd be as well getting a quad core at that kind of money.

Not really like most games it doesn't make use of multicore he'd be better off with the higher clock and more cache.

• Advertisement

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Not really like most games it doesn't make use of multicore he'd be better off with the higher clock and more cache.
    Quad core is definitely the way to go because all the latest programs and games are being made to run on all four cores.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    She'd be as well getting a quad core at that kind of money.

Fixed :p

Inquitus wrote: »
    People always underestimate WoW's power hungriness, it needs decent rig when you have everything turned up to max. A raid with loads of Adds, 25 players, AOE, crap going off everywhere......can make even a decent rig groan, and those times are the times you need smooth frame rates.

Yup exactly and 25mans is what I would be doing and for once just wanted to have graphics on full. Also thinking of trying out oother games like Warhammer when it comes out. So basically something that could run the two if need be plus all my programs with no hassle.

I havnt bought anything yet still a lil unsure on what to go on. Starting to think a laptop might be a better idea, althought its more expense.

Thanks all for the help though :)

Advertisement