Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing $2,000 from Irish bank account

Options
  • 21-06-2008 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into an apartment here in the U.S. on Sunday and the landlord wont agree to a wire transfer so we have to pay in cash. I've got my money in an Irish AIB current account, what's the cheapest way for me to withdraw the money in terms of fees and getting the best USD to Euro rate?

I've got my debit card, credit card and access to 24 hour online banking (including my code card). I'm in San Francisco by the way.

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If you've a USD bank account over there, then transfer the money into it from Ireland. This is tricky and not fast as unless you can do it on the net you'll have to write to your bank here and request the transfer.

Otherwise just go to a ATM and take it out over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you have a bank account in the US (or know someone who you trust who does!), yo ucan transfer it online via international payments (its standard and very simple via your online banking). Not sure of what the daily limit is though (to prevent large-scale fraud), but I would imagine it will be more than 2K. This option would cost you about €15 I think.

If you dont have access to an account, you can go down the road of using your ATM account every day for a few days (think the limit is €500 or €600 a day). This would cost a bigger fee (I imagine anything up to €100 in total depending on what type of card you have).

As regards a credit card, it depends on whether you are with Mastercard or Visa. Withdrawing the money via Mastercard at an ATM would cost about €65 in total. Visa would be a lot more. Please note that if you withdraw the moneyby credit card, use your interent banking to transfer the money from your account to the credit card as you can pay a high interest rate on cash withdrawals from credit cards.

I've looked ath the AIB website and this might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

That's a really helpful post dotsman, Cheers!

Advertisement