Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ac\Dc - Racist??

• 21-06-2008 7:24am

Okay, just noticed the other Thread and wanted to get some opinions on this topic...sounds like they use the dreaded N word (******) in 2 of their most popular songs

Exhibit A

Highway to Hell

listen for about 24 seconds and you will hear these lyrics

Printed Lyrics

Livin' easy,
    lovin' free
    Season ticket on a one way ride -

It doesn't sound much like season ticket

Exhibit B

Who Made Who Live

Listen from about 2 mins 30 onwards

Printed Lyrics

Spinning like a dynamo
    Feel it going round and round
    Running out of chips, you got no line in an 8-bit town
    So don't look down, no

It doesn't sound much like 8-bit either

:pac:P.s I couldnt care less either way,I'm a huge Ac\Dc fan...just want to see what people think about this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Time to dig out the cotton buds bmbm. Nothing controversial here

Not my opinion,this is a pretty old theory - that I've heard many times,just thought I'd bring it up here,as it hasn't been mentioned before...no controversy or offence intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rofles, if Ac/Dc were racist two things would happen - first they'd need to have hired a second racist lyric writer and they would have rather more than two instances of dodgyness in 35 years of songs!

Oh and if you play Queen backwards they tell you sleep with your ma.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lol, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Lol neither of those sound anything like ******. The first one maybe sound s a bit like tigger. Lol maybe they're secrectly against animated tigers?

Poor old AD/DC, if they're not being accused of satanists then it's racists. Maybe they'll be pro Al Quaeda next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have to say that it sounds nothing like ****** in both cases. It sounds like season ticket and 8 bit town

Okay,my conclusion...Who made who - I've been messing around with some editing tools for the last half hour and I'm 100% certain its 8 bit town.:o

However,having slowed down Highway to Hell...I'm about 99% certain he ain't saying Season Ticket,It just doesn't sound like it..

"Shes a N on a one way ride" sounds about right

So either I have some serious racial issues,I need to get checked out or Bon Scott threw it in there.. :confused:

I posted a quick clip of the slowed down version here..

http://boomp3.com/listen/byd3agahb_t/highway-to-hell-slow

So take a listen and let me know what ya thinks..

The only thing is that Bon Scott didn't sing in slow motion. If it sounds like season ticket in real time then that's what he said. You see, you're not only suggesting AC/DC are racist, which a band as respectful towards their blues roots clearly aren't, it would imply that Mutt Lange, who produced Highway to Hell and would know every note, is also racist and also the engineers who worked those sessions are racist.

It's quite simple, if the word is somewhat slurred, chances are he had a few beers before he sang that lyric in his quite thick Australian accent. Listen to how he's prasing the rest of the words in that song too.

Robert Plant didn't sing lyrics backwards, neither did Rob Halford and Bon Scott didn't sing at half speed and then have it sped up to mask what he was saying. AC/DC are a rock band.

This is a stupid subject, there is nothing there.

Billy Joel,John Lennon,John Frusciante,System of a Down,Marilyn Manson,Patti Smith,Prince,U2 and many others have used the N word in their songs..

I would not consider them all filthy racists nor would I imply that everyone who worked on their albums wholeheartedly endorses the use of the word..

I have no problem with the word in the context of a song lyric (despite the title of this thread) and even if they were the lyrics it wouldnt matter to me in the slightest..

The reason I brought this up,is quite simple...it's an old rumour,thats been floating around for years,and I've yet to hear a conclusive discussion on the topic....

• Advertisement

But even in the context of the lyrics, it makes no sense. Every line in the song is in the first person, what would the point be, even for some pointless remark, to insert one line about a she, when every other line is about I, me and my?

It's just not there. You're barking up the wrong bush :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Doctor J wrote: »
    It's just not there. You're barking up the wrong bush :)

Indeed, there is no ****** in the wood pile:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well Johnson does actually say ****** in Shoot to Thrill but it's not racist whatsoever. Silly thread.

:D No he doesn't,I'm gonna guess your referring to the word illegal ...

"'Cause I'm illegal,I got everything
    That all you women might need to know"

kinda sounds like ****** if you want it to,but its definitely illegal

"Silly thread" you say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Okay, just noticed the other Thread and wanted to get some opinions on this topic...sounds like they use the dreaded N word (******) in 2 of their most popular songs

:pac:P.s I couldnt care less either way,I'm a huge Ac\Dc fan...just want to see what people think about this

Then why Create a Thread, Stuuuupit :confused: :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm 100% sure he says season ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

:D No he doesn't,I'm gonna guess your referring to the word illegal ...

"'Cause I'm illegal,I got everything
    That all you women might need to know"

kinda sounds like ****** if you want it to,but its definitely illegal

"Silly thread" you say :rolleyes:

Yes I do. And I'm wrong about the lyric. You can imagine how red my face is. (:rolleyes:)

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Then why Create a Thread, Stuuuupit :confused: :eek:

I Just checked your myspace hyn-zie

Describing your music,

you say

"mostly my songs goes down to an expierence i've had or come across"

"have been playing guitar since i am 7 years old"

"i am constantly wirting lyrics"

"over 100 songs written, they would all feature subjects as love, drugs, addictions"

Please put the Guitar down and read a book immediately,stupid ;)

Okay,I've lost all interest in arguing against the mob...

I know it's season ticket :)

Its just a case of auditory pareidolia..a percentage of people will hear ****** in the song after its pointed out to them,most won't...

The next time your deeply bored,tell a friend to listen out for a racist word in the lyrics..most people will point out Season ticket,as soon as they hear it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Billy Joel,John Lennon,John Frusciante,System of a Down,Marilyn Manson,Patti Smith,Prince,U2 and many others have used the N word in their songs...

Prince is black anyway, so by applying what seems to be the usual logic, that makes it okay say ****** if he likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Printed Lyrics

Livin' easy,
    lovin' free
    Season ticket on a one way ride -

Honestly, it barely sounds like he says Livin' either... Just because he's slurring his words doesn't make them a racial slur. I think you're looking for something in their lyrics that doesn't exist, and calling them racist is just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Honestly, it barely sounds like he says Livin' either... Just because he's slurring his words doesn't make them a racial slur. I think you're looking for something in their lyrics that doesn't exist, and calling them racist is just awful.
    For what its worth: I never passed much heed on AC/DC Lyrics, but when I would be messing around on my guitar i always thought the lyrics were "It aint easy, livin free...!"

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rockandrolldamn

Always sounded like Season Ticket to me + makes sense in context the other doesnt. And I had the Album for 10 or so years before I got the Sleve notes and learned the lyrics that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Billy Joel,John Lennon,John Frusciante,System of a Down,Marilyn Manson,Patti Smith,Prince,U2 and many others have used the N word in their songs..

What song did U2 drop the N bomb in???

What song did U2 drop the N bomb in???

They've used it quite a few times,mostly live.

It pops up in this song off the passengers album at the 1.40 mark

the lyric is

"Elvis - the white nígger ate a cheeseburger and just kept getting bigger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Aww cheers for that. Yeah i know they drop the N bomb live,think its during bullet in a blue sky Bono sings.

"Pull the trigger,Rock n Roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker"

Whatever that means???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Pardon my innocence but what is racist about "Season ticket" or "8 Bit town"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just to bring a bit of sanity to this thread:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

adox wrote: »
    Just to bring a bit of sanity to this thread

that was crazy...:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement