Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sully

• 21-06-2008 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

First off, apologies for how that last thread tailed off but should it really have been locked? Would it not have been a perfect thread for Waterford people to have a genuine look at themselves. They constantly complain that they're left behind by the rest of the country and yet they also constantly complain about everything in their own city. A bar, who I'll say again I am in no way associated with...I would have come on and talked about this no mater where it was on, because I'm a big fan of the format.

In Cork, Wexford and Kilkenny the place is buzzing 7 nights a week...Waterford seems to shut down midweek. It's easy for people just to blame the bars...but 19 closed down bars in the city tells a different story.

I had to laugh at this comment -
    so basically Mason's wants to try generate some money during the summer because the students have now all fecked off home?

And what's the problem with that? It's like saying so now the sun is shining a lot Dunnes are gonna exploit that by selling barbecues!!

Seriously guys, this town would do a whole lot better if it had the support of its citizens. You people obviously don't like Rubys or the people that own it. Do you feel the same about Revolution, or Muldoons etc?

Constructive feedback about how places operate is fine, but you have to think about the suggestions you make and if you'd implement them if you owned a bar or nightclub -

"We need an over 25s bar, everyone is too young these days"

Ok, if you owned a club would you turn away the only age group that has no problem paying a door charge? Also, the people who like over 25 bars are the people that only go out once a month and spend the other weekends watching DVDs and eating take out. A bar owner would be quickly shut down if it resorted to this.

I'm a harveys fan myself, I think the venue is a class act and I've heard that Muldoons is getting a serious make over soon to join it in this regard....but when they first opened (harveys) didnt they say they were going to be strictly over 23s and no students would be catered for? How quickly that had to change.

It's all well and good constantly complaining about things lads but things don't improve that way. Cork people love their county and are the loyalist bunch of people I've ever met. They go out and use all the restaurants and bars in cork....we just bitch about ours.

So forget about the battle of the businesses, apparently you people have no interest in something new happening to generate a bit of craic on a thursday night that used to be great in the town years ago (people get paid..they don't mind going out cause it's nearly the weekend sure - remember that!)

But seriously, just because someone mentions something like this, it doesn't mean they have an affiliation with it. If I come on and say that Dunnes have plasmas for 200 sheets, would that thread be locked for "blatant spam tbh"?

Seriously, get a life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Stinger - Bar,

Firstly my thoughts on your OP in the other thread. I wouldnt view it as Spam myself, but can see how some people might (someone with a low postcount starts a thread with 3 lines promoting an event). As you said in a later post you were involved with something similar in Wexford. Perhaps a good idea for the OP in that thread would have been to give some examples of what went on, the craic that was had etc.

Secondly regarding that post, I personally have no problem in someone promoting a local event on a local forum. Helps to get the word out etc, but you should be aware that there is the possiblity of some criticism if some people arent too enthused about the event. Your reaction was way OTT, just deciding to havea lash out at everyone in Waterford. Personally I would have deleted the thread at this point as it was gonna go way off topic.

Onto this thread. You title the thread 'Sully' and then go on a tirade about the people of Waterford (I actually accept a lot of your points in the thread btw), but you cant blame Sully for all this. Dont get me wrong, I'm no Sully 'fan' or anything like that. We have had many many disagreements on boards.ie in the past. But its a bit unfair on him to blame him for everything.

You say that the last thread would have been a perfect thread to discuss why Waterford's night life is poor compared to our neighbouring Cities (which it most certainly is), I disagree, If you wanted to debate that. Why not start a topic to debate it. Im sure it would be a very good thread. In fact the OP in this thread would be a good start to such a thead.

Finally, you finish your post on this thread telling (Sully I assume) to 'get a life' or is it all the people who replied to your previous thread? One way or another, that sort of attitude isnt really going to help or get anyone on side is it? the wasnt just locked for blatant spam, sully loced it as it seemed to be pointless and was going to develop into a slagging match.

Anyway, you make some v good points about the nightlife in Waterford and I'd be very interested to see a discussion about it. Just calm down a bit with the insults etc, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

The title of the thread really just goes on from the post he made at the closing of the previous thread. The get a life comment is really for the Waterford begrudgers.

Next up, I don't see why a thread that has had 2-3 bad replies should be deleted. Maybe there are others who would have had an interest in talking about it.

In hindsight, Boards was probably not the best place to start this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The title of the thread really just goes on from the post he made at the closing of the previous thread. The get a life comment is really for the Waterford begrudgers.

Next up, I don't see why a thread that has had 2-3 bad replies should be deleted. Maybe there are others who would have had an interest in talking about it.

In hindsight, Boards was probably not the best place to start this thread.

The reason I would have deleted it was your over reaction to the critisim the event recieved
    Nah, I just used to do it in wexford when they did something similar. But you really are a friendly bunch aren't ya. I think you people resent everything in this town don't ya? And I say town because that's all it is, a town....it hasn't the right to be called a city because compared to Cork kilkenny Dublin and galway...it's crap....and that's down to its people. You begrudge everything that's your own. Instead of getting behind local businesses, you berate them..that's why Waterford will never be anymore than a two bit town...its people.

If thats your attitude to defend the event you are promoted (attack the people rather that promote whats good about the event) then you dont deserve the bit of free publicity.

Making comments like 'get a life' is never a good way to get a discussion going. I made a quite a detailed and what I feel a reasoned post explaining this and many other points. I AM one of the people who would be interested in such a discussion yet you pretty much ignore everything I had to say and still continue with the attitude displayed in your post on the other thread and the OP on this one.

In hindsight, perhaps I wasted my time and effort in replying to you and trying to reason with you.

First off...I think promote is too strong a word for what I was trying to do with the orifinal thread. And all you did there was quote my original post again. If every reply you're going to make is just going to refer back to my original thread then that would explain why my attitude is changing wouldn't it?

And I don't understand why I need to be reasoned with about anything. I expressed an opinion - what generally happens after that is people express theirs too. On this forum however all that happens is that people tell you why you're wrong and then usually lock/ban.

Kev, you seem like a decent bloke and I do appreciate the replies and comments but surely people should have to sugar coat everything they say. I feel strongly about this town and I don't have much time for a lot of its inhabitants...these are fairly extreme and passionate views and I guess when we express views like that, the results are usually inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

But you really are a friendly bunch aren't ya. I think you people resent everything in this town don't ya? And I say town because that's all it is, a town....it hasn't the right to be called a city because compared to Cork kilkenny Dublin and galway...it's crap....and that's down to its people. You begrudge everything that's your own. Instead of getting behind local businesses, you berate them..that's why Waterford will never be anymore than a two bit town...its people.

If I came from Waterford I might have been a tad offended by what looks like a drunken rant in your other thread. But fair play to you. You made me laugh.

• Advertisement

Hey, that's something anyway :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Feedback, Helpdesk or PM.

END.

Topic Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement