Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone recommend me some fantasy films.

Options
  • 21-06-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I really want to find some good fantasy films but there seem to be alot of rubbish ones out there. My favourite films are: The Neverending Story, The Last Unicorn and Merlin. I don't like really long ones that drag on for ages and have too many characters, such as LOTR or Harry Potter. I prefer more simple uplifting ones. There are so many rubish fantasy films out there as well, like Dragon, that are just plain boring. Does anyone know of any really good ones that I might like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

check out the myiazaki films, they're animated but just fantastic, in particular howl's moving castle and spirited away.

i enjoyed the brothers grimm, pan's labyrinth, crouching tiger hidden dragon

check out the golden compass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you liked Neverending Story check out Labyrinth. If you haven't seen it already, that is. Another good 80s fantasy is Ladyhawke.

For more recent movies, Stardust was excellent and for Oriental martial arts/fantasy get your hands on The Forbidden Kingdom, with Jet Li and JAckie Chan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Captain Awesome

Princess Bride. Its narrated by Columbo. Also the Conan films from the 80s are good for sillyness. Much agreement with shrapnel222. Princess Mononoke is awesome as is the likes of Nausicaa. Though I personally found books to be more satisfying. Krull. Its so bad its still bad. But its like a car crash into an orphanage. You have to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Pans Labyrinth is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Willow is a great childish flick.

If you want something uplifting you cant get much better than 'My Neighbour Totoro', you cant help but have a huge smile on your face when your watching it. Its a Japanese animated film, but Disney done a real good english dub of it if you dont like subtitles.

• Advertisement

Pugsley wrote: »
    Willow is a great childish flick.

If you want something uplifting you cant get much better than 'My Neighbour Totoro', you cant help but have a huge smile on your face when your watching it. Its a Japanese animated film, but Disney done a real good english dub of it if you dont like subtitles.

i'd forgotten about willow, great film!! and princess bride

totoro is great too, basically any and all myazaki films are worth seeing-some are better than others but all great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dark Crystal!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Jim Henson films are great. Assides from the already mentioned Labyrinth there is The Dark Crystal and the more recent Mirror Mask.

A sequel to the Dark Crystal is currently being made too.

Also... I'd like to give a mention to Krull. It's awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hawk the slayer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080846/

Krull http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085811/

Big Fish http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319061/

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460780/

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/
    ( hugely better then the first movie with the title D&D in it )

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

cant recommend pans labyrinth enough tbh. hellboy & v for vendetta too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The first Troll film was pretty good... just don't watch the sequel under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Krull! Forgot all about that one, loved it to bits when I was a kid, have to watch it again.

just thought of a couple of others:

a company of wolves

legend with tom cruise by ridley scott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

Excalibur - real grit and blood and guts

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markytowny94

eragon or narnia? haha.Oh! or the philip pullman ones.theyre all a bit kiddish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I can't say I'd recommend the philip pullman film (the golden compass). Made from the book (supposedly!) its a disgrace to the actual book but thats another story...

Although filmed using beautiful sets and computer imagery, the Golden Compass lacked many things. For a start the film was a complete mess of the original book. Many (I should say all) characters were introduced to the audience without explanation, their background or the motivations for their actions or the way they appeared was non-existent. Little or nothing was explained. If I was a child going to see this film the pictures of creatures and animals would be nice to see but what they were doing or why they were doing it would have been a complete waste of my and the actors time. As an adult trying to make sense of the film, it was just as bad as that also.

...And what did they do to the book!
    Just from watching the film most could tell that there was absolute lumps chopped out of the film that should have been in it from the original book. There was also scenes that were the wrong way around, things happened in it that never happened in the book and some scenes were totally re-invented without reason to the plot. There was characters that lived when in fact they were supposed to have died and visa-versa.
    Note to the film companies: if your going to buy the rights to a book to turn it into a film, at least use what's in the shaggin' book for fracks sake! Not your own injected totally made up version of what appears to be another story completely!

The viewer is left like grasping on the edge of a cliff by the fingernails, having to try and hang on as to what the heck the plot was all about! Mind you this is not entirely the fault of the makers of the film. Such was the religious nuts of America that they used their powerful lobby to directly effect the making of this film. The sad religion nutters managed to censor anything in the film version that might not agree with their view. The result was a waste of a lot of time and talent to say the least.
    What was left in the film was a mish-mash of vague plots about "dust" I kid you not - and nothing more!

The acting was fine considering that the actors had bugger all material left to work with.

If there is going to be more sequels - and many like me hope there isn't given the mess they made of this disastrous film, I hope they make it outside of America lock, stock and barrel - because if any sequels are made with American studios (that don't have any backbone to stand up to the religious nuts), they will have another flop on their hands big time.

The writer of the original book must be turning in his grave at what they did to his (much bigger and better) character stories and book.

What a waste of film reel, actors time and money!
    Haven't seen it? Give it a miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

just thought of a couple of others:

a company of wolves

legend with tom cruise by ridley scott.

Definitely check out Legend. Tim Curry as Darkness and delicious dialog such as:

Darkness: "And is your heart black and full of hate?"
    Blix: "Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Don't forget Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Time Bandits is one of my favourites

Advertisement