Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Into It

Options
  • 21-06-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Hiya lads and ladies,
    I have been interested in getting into cycling for a while now and am a regular lurker of this board for a few weeks now. Have a bit of cash together now so think I might take the final plunge and purchase my own wheels.
    I have read the stickys and all and have come to the conclusion I need a hybrid, and from what little i've learnt the Giant FCR looks like a good option. I dont want to dive in too deep money wise so I'm interested in the FCR 2.5 (someone somewhere in one of the posts convinced me the carbon forks were worth paying the few quid extra, as opposed to the FCR 3).
    I'll be doing road cycling, to work (not far away, possibly 2 miles) and stuff, a few longer cycles at weekends and evenings. I'm not as fit as I'd like but I'm definitely not unfit so I would hope to do some fairly long cycles at times. I'm in the country so plenty of crap roads. Would the skinny tyres be a suitable option for me? I hope they wouldnt be too uncomfortable or the roads wouldnt destroy them. Would maybe the Giant Escape be more suitable for me?
    The good people at McConveys are looking for £399 for the FCR 2.5 (€505) which certainly beats the Cycle Superstore's €625.
    So basically i'm just wondering if the bike would be a good option and secondly if I'd get it any cheaper than McConvilles (possibly from the UK???).
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cycling!!!!
    Good luck with getting your bike, I am not the best at giving tips.. I usually buy what 'looks' nice. Remember to keep money for a nice helmet and a few lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Yeah man, best of luck to you.

You'll have a great time.

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The 2.5 is indeed a great bike, and you'll not be disappointed in it. Personally, I might stretch a little more for a Focus Corrente -it's a little more expensive than Cycle Superstores price on the FCR, but has better components on it, but then 505 is a top price, and hard to pass up!

You shouldn't have any problems on the roads on it, bikes are built tough these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Forky wrote: »
    I'm in the country so plenty of crap roads. Would the skinny tyres be a suitable option for me? I hope they wouldnt be too uncomfortable or the roads wouldnt destroy them.

If your cycling is going to be done on poor country roads I'd recommend you go for thicker tyres.
    I'm doing some training on country roads at the moment for the Ring of Kerry cycle and I've two bikes to train on - one with skinny racing bike type tyres and one with thicker hybrid bike type tyres.
    For the crap roads the bike with the thicker tyres is a lot more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheers folks.
    Really in 2 minds now, mainly between the FCR 2.5 with its 26mm tyres, and another, more comfortable bike (possibly the Giant Escape M Zero (€500 from Wiggle)) with thicker tyres.
    All suggestions appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'd go with the FCR, since it has 700mm tyres rather than the 26" ones the Escape has. You might be able to get them to put 28s or possibly 32 mm wide on if they'll fit. the 700s would then give you the option of putting skinny 23s on for longer distances to give you an extra edge on speed and less resistance if you wanted to, which I don't think you'd get with the 26" tyres..

kenmc wrote: »
    i'd go with the FCR, since it has 700mm tyres rather than the 26" ones the Escape has. You might be able to get them to put 28s or possibly 32 mm wide on if they'll fit. the 700s would then give you the option of putting skinny 23s on for longer distances to give you an extra edge on speed and less resistance if you wanted to, which I don't think you'd get with the 26" tyres..

Thanks kenmc. Theres the thing though, realistically I don't think I'd ever need to be putting on 23's for an extra edge on speed. Howver it would be handy to change up if found the ride was too harsh. Would 28's or 32's fit the bike?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

my fcr2 came with 28mms. they might take a 32, but you better ask that in the bike shop.
    I think that 700s are typically slightly lighter than 26"ers (don't need to take so much abuse that a mountainbike would) and being slightly larger would give you a little bit more speed.

The FCR has a more 'road' oriented gearing ratio, meaning you will be able to go faster on the flats. The Esape has a more mountain bike gearing which will mean you will almost be able to cycle up a wall.

I guess you are best thinking of the FCR as a road bike with mountain bike handlebars. The Escape is a mountain bike with smooth wheels. It has disc brakes also, which *may* make it a bit more attractive to thieves. I have no experience with disk brakes though.

I think that the Escape will be slightly heavier than the FCR. Given that you will be doing road cycling, I think he FCR would be the better bike for your needs - given the gearing, carbon fork, larger wheels and skinnier, high pressure tyres.

Wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I've finally made the move and got my bike. Went up to Cycle Superstore and came home with the FCR 2.5.
    Delighted with it! First bike and all that (since I was a child anyway).

The bank balance didn't see it coming and got a bit of a shock but feck it, it will recover. Still have to get lock, mudguards, lights, computer, pump and stuff. May give the pub a break for a week or two!

Question about mudguards, will any mudguards fit my bike? And any recomendations on what ones would look good on it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

You can get 'temporary' mudguards that attatch to the seat post. Not the best quality I know, but handy to throw on and off and not ruin the look of your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Forky wrote: »

Question about mudguards, will any mudguards fit my bike? And any recomendations on what ones would look good on it? Thanks.
    When I got my FCR I asked about mudguards. There was one type which fitted (can't remember which now) but they were horrible wrap around the wheels type guards. They didn't exactly bring sexy back. In the end I decided not to bother. I've found the 700 wheels don't throw up as much water as the mtb tyres and my saddle bag takes the bulk of what does get thrown up anyway.

About the fork, The FCR 2.5 wasn't available when I got mine (FCR 3). Just wondering if anyone could recommend a fork for it and if it would be worth investing in carbon. It does tend to vibrate a bit when going fast (although new comfy grips have helped ) and was wondering if a carbon fork would dampen that effect a bit. (Looking for a cost v performance) Don't want to spend if It will only make a minimal difference.

edit:

Congrats on the bike. You will be glad you spent the money after you catch the bug for cycling the FCR.

Cheers lads. I'll see how I get on without the mudguards for now anyway.

No idea myself about different forks clown bag but just remembered reading this post from another forum. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=436969

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

lol, thanks for that. great burn in that thread :D

Advertisement