Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a Bord Gáis account?

Options
  • 21-06-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I have just recently moved house, and wonder about this split up between ESB and Bord Gáis. Do I need a gas account for the boiler or how does this work out? Does ESB have anything to do with the boiler? :confused:

I have one boiler in the kitchen and one in a small room adjacent to the bathroom. Would these be heated by gas or by electricity?

Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

without knowing what type of boilers they are i'd guess the upstairs one is electric and the downstairs is gas-fired, but you'd have to see whether there's gas pipes, etc to really be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Haha, I had this exact problem recently - I had absolutely no idea what powered what in my apartment!

Anyway, if you have gas coming into your home, it is very likely to be powering something. In my place, it powers the boiler (for hot water and heating/radiators) and the electric does everything else (lights, oven and perhaps the immersion - not 100% sure about the last one). So I think the answer is yes, you'll need both a gas and an electric account.

Frankly, I would rather live in a place that was 100% electric. The gas standing charge bugs the hell out of me and I'd rather have just 1 bill coming through the door than 2. Can't really understand why places such as my apartment require both power sources coming into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it's a rental property, then the landlord should be able to tell you. Otherwise the old owners will know.

When I moved into my current flat, there was a gas connection just for the fireplace in the living room. I quickly got that disconnected rather than pay the Bord Gais standing charge every month. It's much simpler to have just the one bill.

Advertisement