Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting rid of my alfa 156 ... suggestions?

Options
  • 21-06-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Here's the deal

2ltr '00 - 90k on the clock. I need to get the front wishbones replaced and possibly some other bits done at the back also as it's starting to make some noise!
    The timing belt needs to be done in 2k and there's lots of minor scrapes all over the paint work .... ohh yeah and someone robbed the badge off the back!

Last week I was unfortunate enough to be fouled by the laws of physics and I accidentally shunted it into the back of another car. I think I made the fan inoperable as it's starting to overheat now in traffic.

Considering how much money I need to put into it (the paint issues aside ... which incidentally I can take off with my ****ing fingernail .. wtf?)

How the HELL am I gonna get rid of this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you comprehensive insurance? If so, i'd consider having the crash damage repaired and bringing the car to TI Autos to get the service work done. They're a great car, we have one in the family with going on for 140,000 miles and it's still going like a train. If you don't have comp though, it might be better just to sell it cheap and buy a good, low mileage one with recently done belts. That shouldn't cost too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Repairs would probably be worth more than the car is worth. Put an ad in the buy and sell and get out before it costs you an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I would say get the cosmetic damage repaired then compound the car to remove the light scratches, get a new badge (I assume it won't cost that much). If doing the above work makes you more money than selling it as it is then do the above, then flog it without timing belt etc..

God help whoever buys this yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Match and some Petrol, ohh and a bag of marshmallows and some sticks.

But seriously put it in an auction, thats the only way you will get rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just stuck on the rear transverse arms and trailing arms on my 156 SW last night. It's about 1.5 hrs aside. Front wishbones are a different matter... I have them ordered from Poland at the moment. I was quoted about 30% of the retail price of the arms from a dealer here, so I'll install them later this month. Alfa quoted €900 parts & labour, I'll have it completed for <400. I expect.

So, maybe consult with a local garage on whether they will fit parts which you supply and source them from ebay or such...

Oh, and ignore the paint issues - it just adds character... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Considering the condition it's currently in you'd be lucky to get 1200-1500 for it I've seen pristine ones selling for as little as 2250 with the current climate for second hand cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

eamon234 wrote: »
    Considering the condition it's currently in you'd be lucky to get 1200-1500 for it I've seen pristine ones selling for as little as 2250 with the current climate for second hand cars

You won't get anything next or near that for it, I was offered a scruffy 99 156 during the week for 200 euros and I still didn't buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

no disrespect but you'll get nothing for it....give it to a relative or flame it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hate to say it. In most other countries the car would get the attention it needs and live on for many a year, but here, realistically, it is an economic write-off. Maybe offer it for free on an Alfa enthousiast website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

• Advertisement
Advertisement