Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutrality

Options
  • 21-06-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Is it time we truly took our places amongst the nations of the world and tied our colours to the mast and give up our constitutional default position of being neutral in all conflicts.

Can we continue to rely on our bigger more powerful neighbours to fight for justice in conflicts around the world, such as when the US has to intervene when the UN's ineptitude led to the slaughter of thousands in the Yugoslavian crisis?

Or indeed standing up for our allies when they are attacked, such as the UK is doing with and for the US in Afghanistan.

Can we be eternally fence sitters, notwithstanding our excellent work as peace keepers but should that be all we ever are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

If you can convince the old ladys, and Sinn Fein, Ill agree!!!

Seriously though, I dont see the point either way. Its not like we could contribute much to and armed conflict. Additionally, if Ireland did get invaded I think it would be a simple case of a certain army north of the border being invited in.

As well, I believe Ireland has respect abroad when on peacekeeping missions because of the neutrality. It helps people understand foreign troops being in their country.

Building up the military would be a waste of money.

Right I suppose. The days of war in Europe are over I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

firstly,we don't have constitutionally guaranteed neutrality.do your research op.secondly there is very little
    to gain from not being neutral and certainly not enough imo to give up our neutral position.Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is it time we truly took our places amongst the nations of the world and tied our colours to the mast and give up our constitutional default position of being neutral in all conflicts.

Can we continue to rely on our bigger more powerful neighbours to fight for justice in conflicts around the world, such as when the US has to intervene when the UN's ineptitude led to the slaughter of thousands in the Yugoslavian crisis?

Or indeed standing up for our allies when they are attacked, such as the UK is doing with and for the US in Afghanistan.

Can we be eternally fence sitters, notwithstanding our excellent work as peace keepers but should that be all we ever are?

It isn't just the British and Americans in Afghanistan, nor was it only the Americans in Yugoslavia.

Peace-keeping isn't a walk in the park.

• Advertisement

Or indeed standing up for our allies when they are attacked, such as the UK is doing with and for the US in Afghanistan

The only thing the US was attacked by was a thirst for oil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Since when is Ireland neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

turgon wrote: »
    Right I suppose. The days of war in Europe are over I would imagine.

The days when Ireland could maintain a sufficient military presence to play a meaningful role in a war in Europe are certainly over.

AS to the OP...
    Is it time we truly took our places amongst the nations of the world
    What makes you think we haven't?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

firstly,we don't have constitutionally guaranteed neutrality.do your research op.secondly there is very little
    to gain from not being neutral and certainly not enough imo to give up our neutral position.Posted via Mobile Device

Semantics.

We have always adopted a neutral position (officially). Our defense forces participate in peace keeping only.

My point is only to ask the question, should we go further than this?

I for one would support it.

And for the wise guys out there, I know there are more than just the UK and the US in Afganistan, I think we should be there too. Doesn't have to be a huge presence, but why not a token presence to assist our allies?

Maybe you should explain your position in detail.

Most of the population I would imagine are against the invasions in the Middle-East, I for one. But sure havent we been helping them with rendition flights??? Oh I forgot, thats illegal so make sure no one finds out. And heres a little bit of soothing money Bertie.

Ireland can contribute nothing to conflicts at any scale. A military alignment would be a wast of money that could be spent on the HSE.

Also your "take their place among the nations of the world"?? Would these nations include Britain (nice colonial campaign there), Germany (we all know this one), the US (Iraq "Mass Destruction Weapons" and Vietnam's "Tonkin Gulf", oh yeah we all believe it :rolleyes:), China (Human rights miracle)???? Maybe theres some Im forgetting. Basically a nation in your mind is a political entity willing to spill blood for there own good.

Or maybe we should keep our place amongst the best nations in the world: Sweden and Switzerland, no War in nearly 200 years. Oh but of course, these arent the "nations of the world". How stupid of them not to kill anyone.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    AS to the OP...

What makes you think we haven't?

Just my opinion, but I think we should do more. See last post.

Maybe you should explain your position in detail.

Most of the population I would imagine are against the invasions in the Middle-East, I for one. But sure havent we been helping them with rendition flights??? Oh I forgot, thats illegal so make sure no one finds out. And heres a little bit of soothing money Bertie.

Ireland can contribute nothing to conflicts at any scale. A military alignment would be a wast of money that could be spent on the HSE.

Also your "take their place among the nations of the world"?? Would these nations include Britain (nice colonial campaign there), Germany (we all know this one), the US (Iraq "Mass Destruction Weapons" and Vietnam's "Tonkin Gulf", oh yeah we all believe it :rolleyes:), China (Human rights miracle)???? Maybe theres some Im forgetting. Basically a nation in your mind is a political entity willing to spill blood for there own good.

Or maybe we should keep our place amongst the best nations in the world: Sweden and Switzerland, no War in nearly 200 years. Oh but of course, these arent the "nations of the world". How stupid of them not to kill anyone.

That would be a no then?

I would be of the same opinion as your good self on the middle east. However I would fully support the US and her allies in Afganistan. My point isn't however about any particular conflict just our willingness to participate in support of our allies.

On Switzerland, their position in WWII was almost as reprehensible as ours. They still refuse to return Jewish LOOT.

I guess your point about Britain may be a reflection of how we are still shackled by our history. Which is what I expected to hear when I posted initially.

Lastly it isn't weather or not we could make a significant contribution ( I know right now we couldn't) but just our willingness to stand up and be counted with our allies.

her allies in Afganistan..

As a political entity the US is an "it". Refering to it as "her" just stinks of American partiosim, that we all know has been put to good use in the past to destroy the democracies of others.
    On Switzerland, their position in WWII was almost as reprehensible as ours..

Do you know what you on about? Ireland supplied weather reports to the allies, let them fly over Irish airspace and secretly returned troops to the north while interning German ones. If you are of the opinion that Ireland didn't help the allies you are sorely mistaken.

As regards the Swiss: they value their independence and have stayed out of European politics in an attempt to save themselves. Obviously there unwillingness to involve themselves in bloodshed has dampened your view of them. Neutrality has worked very well for them. So are you saying just because the Allies won, Swiss should suddenly take their side and go against the Axis. Their neutral position does them proud.
    I guess your point about Britain may be a reflection of how we are still shackled by our history..

No, I was just illustrating a point. Your opinion of a "Nation" is one that is not-neutral and one that is willing to spill blood. Iraq is NOT history. You have this demented idea that war is good. Easily known your Irish, were nice and cosy here up the west of Europe, and have never recently had to experience the kind of violence you appear to advocate.
    our willingness to stand up and be counted with our allies.

Once again, you seem to believe that war is the b all and end all. You are saying to have an impact on the world we have to use guns?? Very silly indeed, in my opinion. Think of what having an impact through military means has done to the world. Im thinking of Africa and Asia, two places where European "Nations", that you seem to honour for being involved in war, have stuck there nose in and helped create the sh*thole that a lot of these countries are.

Don't just think Mugabe. Think why he's there.

As a political entity the US is an "it". Refering to it as "her" just stinks of American partiosim, that we all know has been put to good use in the past to destroy the democracies of others.

Total bullsh1t. 'Her' versus 'it'. Get a grip. I refer to almost any country as her, as does the rest of the English speaking world.

Do you know what you on about? Ireland supplied weather reports to the allies, let them fly over Irish airspace and secretly returned troops to the north while interning German ones. If you are of the opinion that Ireland didn't help the allies you are sorely mistaken.

Ireland was neutral in WWII. End of. Or is it that type Irish 'sort of' neutrality you refer to, where we are but we sort of aren't.

As regards the Swiss: they value their independence and have stayed out of European politics in an attempt to save themselves. Obviously there unwillingness to involve themselves in bloodshed has dampened your view of them. Neutrality has worked very well for them. So are you saying just because the Allies won, Swiss should suddenly take their side and go against the Axis. Their neutral position does them proud.

The value their independence, they also valued all the Jewish loot they put in storage before and during WWII.

No, I was just illustrating a point. Your opinion of a "Nation" is one that is not-neutral and one that is willing to spill blood. Iraq is NOT history. You have this demented idea that war is good. Easily known your Irish, were nice and cosy here up the west of Europe, and have never recently had to experience the kind of violence you appear to advocate.

You are assuming a position for me and then knocking it down, just stick to what I said if you want to have an argument or discussion.

Once again, you seem to believe that war is the b all and end all. You are saying to have an impact on the world we have to use guns?? Very silly indeed, in my opinion. Think of what having an impact through military means has done to the world. Im thinking of Africa and Asia, two places where European "Nations", that you seem to honour for being involved in war, have stuck there nose in and helped create the sh*thole that a lot of these countries are.

Same again, where did I say that?

Don't just think Mugabe. Think why he's there.

??????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Arguably peace enforcing missions (eg Congo) aren't the purview of neutral powers, because usually it means that you're taking a side. However, be that as it may, my issue with Irish neutrality isn't the concept itself. It's the hypocrtical position compared to countries such as the above-mentioned Sweden and Switzerland that those two countries are neutral, and mean it. They have sufficient self-defense capability that forms a resonable deterrence to make all comers think twice about a military operation in their areas. The usual answer to Ireland's defense capability is "sure, if someone were to attack us, the British or Americans would rescue us." Whilst this is true, it is an alignment, not a position of neutrality and is simply a case of being a parasite. The only difference between Ireland's situation and that of Iceland is that at least Iceland has been openly honest about the whole thing.

NTM

I refer to almost any country as her, as does the rest of the English speaking world.

Well if thats your stance, fair enough. However I think your wrong, excerpt from the CIA Factbook:
    In 1948 Ireland withdrew from the British Commonwealth; it joined the European Community in 1973.

This is irrelevant though.
    Ireland was neutral in WWII. End of.

So I made a statement of historical merit, and you are claiming its false? What I said was perfectly true, Ireland was aligned towards the allies. All the facts were true. Thankfully most people dont take an "end of" approach to historical argument.
    The value their independence, they also valued all the Jewish loot they put in storage before and during WWII.

I am willing to accept this, if you give me a reference. Are you saying they actually took the money for themselves?? For what is arguably the most bank dependent country in the world (larger than Dublin), I find this to be surprising. But I will accept if you give me a reference.
    You are assuming a position for me and then knocking it down, just stick to what I said if you want to have an argument or discussion.

Ok louthandproud what you said was:

"Is it time we truly took our places amongst the nations of the world"

By this, I would assume that you mean countries are only truly "nations" are those that take military stances. This I think ridiculous. Such an argument would state that to be a nation a country must involve itself in war, ie a country must kill people instead of using the diplomacy others favour.

It would also seem to me that you do not consider neutral countries to be great "nations" (took our places), if you did then you would not state that we needed to become aligned to be considered a nation. At least, that is my interpretation.

The argument for losing neutrality is a one of merit. However your approach was to reduce Ireland and other neutral countries, and state that to become full countries we most engage in military conflict, or at least swear too. War is a disgrace, and rarely achieves anything. Diplomacy, however time-consuming, is the way. As one person on boards once said:

Its better to lose lifetimes than lives.

ONE MORE THING: You said - "notwithstanding our excellent work as peace keepers but should that be all we ever are?". What else would we do - kill people over supposed weapons of mass destruction? Or keep people detained indefinitely in some military base of the coast of the Isle of Man?

Well if thats your stance, fair enough. However I think your wrong, excerpt from the CIA Factbook:

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Irish proclamation.
    So there!

The rest you will have to agree to disagree, I happen to agree with the last poster. We have in some regards become the eternal fence sitters, or hurlers on the ditch. And no matter what you say we were neutral in WWII, and we were not allied to anyone. Interesting choice of words though as that is what the rest of the saviors of the free world at that time were to each other. Allies.

Your opinion is also obviously coloured by current events in the Middle East which is something I did not bring up and do not support the US and the UK in either. But this does not change my opinion overall.

And to say war never does any good, the fact that you aren't arguing with me in German would to me indicate that this isn't necessarily true.

You can find your own references for the Swiss issue.

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

louthandproud, you have just supported my point: referring to a country as "her" is an act of patriotism and nationalism, as evidenced above. The Declaration is designed to immortalize Ireland and the cause.
    We have in some regards become the eternal fence sitters, or hurlers on the ditch.

So what do you suggest we should do: engage in armed conflict?
    And no matter what you say we were neutral in WWII, and we were not allied to anyone.

Yes technically neutral, but not in practice. What I said was true. Zimbabwe is technically a democracy, but do you actually believe it is?
    the saviors of the free world

louthandproud, whats the story with your history education? Because, no offense, it seems quite shallow. Norman Davies once wrote regarding the recruiting of the Soviet Union into the Allied side:
    When the time came, Britain and France were willing to employ one criminal to destroy another.

You have clearly bought into what is termed the "allied scheme of history": ie those who win the war write the history (often and in this case partly propaganda). Lets see what these "saviors of the free world" were up to around 1945:
    • Britain: Still hanging on to parts of the Empire. This included suppression of locals and white domination in Africa and India, in the former case where the whites still held blacks fully under there control. In both cases this "savior of the free world" had full white government in majority black/indian states. As you can imagine the locals weren't given the vote. "Free world" indeed.
    • Britain: Closer to home, allowing the discriminatory government of Stormont (Northern Ireland) to continue suppressing Catholics, by not giving most of them the vote, and discriminating in jobs and housing.
    • France: The good old Indo-French empire still quite vivid. Later this would cause the Vietnam War, when the locals finally became annoyed of years of French domination.
    • Soviet Union: Well where to start??? Maybe the 55 MILLION people that were killed in Russia and in other Communist States between 1922 and 1945, and many more to come after the war, all by the Soviet government.
    • Allies: Refusal to give Yugoslavia to the control of those who won its freedom. Why? The US didn't like what Tito stood for. Democracy my hat.
    • Allies: In the closing months of WWII in Europe the "saviors" engaged in exactly what the Nazis did in Britain: bombing civilians and cities. There are pictures of whole German cities reduced to rubble by allied bombing.
    • USA: Tell my louthandproud, are you aware that blacks weren't allowed vote in the southern states of the US in 1945? Are you aware that blacks were given separate facilities (toilets, fountains, food counters, busses) than the whites for fear of contamination. Are you aware that black schools were intentionally underfunded? Are you aware that blacks had to give up their seats to whites on buses if the buses were full???????

So are these the "saviors of the free world" your on about? I would specifically like an answer to this.
    And to say war never does any good, the fact that you aren't arguing with me in German would to me indicate that this isn't necessarily true.

Without war I would be speaking Irish. Without war, the Germans would not have invaded in the first place, so you could hardly claim I would be speaking German.

louthandproud, you have just supported my point: referring to a country as "her" is an act of patriotism and nationalism, as evidenced above. The Declaration is designed to immortalize Ireland and the cause.

So what do you suggest we should do: engage in armed conflict

Not necessarily. But perhaps if it were the right thing to do.

On the "her" versus "it" I will continue to refer to all countries with "her" rather than "it". Hardly relevant to the subject.

Yes technically neutral, but not in practice. What I said was true. Zimbabwe is technically a democracy, but do you actually believe it is?

What has Zimbabwe got to do with it.
    louthandproud, whats the story with your history education? Because, no offense, it seems quite shallow. Norman Davies once wrote regarding the recruiting of the Soviet Union into the Allied side:
    When the time came, Britain and France were willing to employ one criminal to destroy another.

You have clearly bought into what is termed the "allied scheme of history": ie those who win the war write the history (often and in this case partly propaganda). Lets see what these "saviors of the free world" were up to around 1945:
    • Britain: Still hanging on to parts of the Empire. This included suppression of locals and white domination in Africa and India, in the former case where the whites still held blacks fully under there control. In both cases this "savior of the free world" had full white government in majority black/indian states. As you can imagine the locals weren't given the vote. "Free world" indeed.
    • Britain: Closer to home, allowing the discriminatory government of Stormont (Northern Ireland) to continue suppressing Catholics, by not giving most of them the vote, and discriminating in jobs and housing.
    • France: The good old Indo-French empire still quite vivid. Later this would cause the Vietnam War, when the locals finally became annoyed of years of French domination.
    • Soviet Union: Well where to start??? Maybe the 55 MILLION people that were killed in Russia and in other Communist States between 1922 and 1945, and many more to come after the war, all by the Soviet government.
    • Allies: Refusal to give Yugoslavia to the control of those who won its freedom. Why? The US didn't like what Tito stood for. Democracy my hat.
    • Allies: In the closing months of WWII in Europe the "saviors" engaged in exactly what the Nazis did in Britain: bombing civilians and cities. There are pictures of whole German cities reduced to rubble by allied bombing.
    • USA: Tell my louthandproud, are you aware that blacks weren't allowed vote in the southern states of the US in 1945? Are you aware that blacks were given separate facilities (toilets, fountains, food counters, busses) than the whites for fear of contamination. Are you aware that black schools were intentionally underfunded? Are you aware that blacks had to give up their seats to whites on buses if the buses were full???????

So are these the "saviors of the free world" your on about? I would specifically like an answer to this.

Yes they were the saviors of the free world. They defeated Hitler, the greatest evil in recent world history.

The rest although probably true doesn't change that fact.

Without war I would be speaking Irish. Without war, the Germans would not have invaded in the first place, so you could hardly claim I would be speaking German.

Therefore war sometimes do need to be fought, i.e. to stop the Germans. What would you have done. Rolled over and told the Germans war is bad.

Please Mr. Hitler, don't you know war is bad, we are neutral. Now please go away.

Or the Swiss version, we'll take your money, even buy your arms for you (German or Allies ) but we're neutral.

Quote me where I said "War is good". As with previous comments you are assuming a position for me.

PS. Attack my points but don't attack me personally. It's just not nice, and definitely not neutral. :-)

• Advertisement

Yes technically neutral, but not in practice. [/I]

So are you for or against Irish Neutrality, you seem to be leaning towards a 'we were not really neutral in parctice' argument during WWII.

What do you support?

1/ Neutral.

2/ Neutral, but not really neutral in practice necessarily kind of a thing.

3/ Not neutral. Colours nailed bravely to the mast.

Semantics.

We have always adopted a neutral position (officially). Our defense forces participate in peace keeping only.

its not semantics.we've only followed a neutral policy since ww2,and any govt is free to change this on a whim,unlike constitutional neutrality which would be guaranteed.name one net benefit for ireland of giving up our neutrality please?and btw since we are neutral the US and UK can hardly be considered our allies.
    Posted via Mobile Device[/]

What has Zimbabwe got to do with it.

I was using Zimbabwe to show how some things arent as they seem. Ireland seemed strictly neutral. In practice, it wasn't.
    Yes they were the saviors of the free world. They defeated Hitler, the greatest evil in recent world history.

Once again, it seems that you dont have a clue what your on about. Hitler was not the greatest evil in recent world history - Stalin was. Once again, your buying into the allied scheme of history. Stalin killed 4 or 5 times more people that Hitler. And Im afraid, for your sake louthandproud, that that is an undisputed fact. He was keen on starting war too - Finland, Poland etc. He killed people in the army, the police and his party in the purges. Lots of civilians died in the Gulags. Communism was enforced with an iron hand.

Just to clear up the matter, what makes you believe Hitler was the greatest evil of all time? Is there facts that would point to him being harder than Stalin?
    The rest although probably true doesn't change that fact.

All I can say is well done. This is as good as saying that if I buy an apple (metaphorical for stopping Hitler) it excuses me to steal a car (metaphorical for how bad the "Allies" were in reality). Your point of view is completely and utterly ignorant and lacks factual historical basis. It is pointless me talking to you: you have obviously bought into what youve heard and thats not going to change.
    Therefore war sometimes do need to be fought, i.e. to stop the Germans.

WWII would have been avoided for a lot of reasons, many of them the fault of the Allies, the principal of these being the Treaty of Versailles. Hitlers policies were based on the harsh terms of Versailles. But I suppose you will be, as always, unwilling to accept historical fact.

Or the Swiss version, we'll take your money, even buy your arms for you (German or Allies ) but we're neutral.

Oh so the Swiss were supposed to go without weapons? And in the case of an attack??

I think you dont realize what neutral is in practical terms. It mainly means acting normally, as if there were no war, by treating both sides equally. I dont see how buying weapons to protect yourself (the principle upon which Swiss neutrality is based) is violating non-alignment.
    definitely not neutral

Oh believe me louthandproud I am not neutral as regards this thread, my alignment is based purely on my innate hatred for historical ignorance.

PS: I dont care whether Ireland is neutral or not.

I was using Zimbabwe to show how some things arent as they seem. Ireland seemed strictly neutral. In practice, it wasn't.

Once again, it seems that you dont have a clue what your on about. Hitler was not the greatest evil in recent world history - Stalin was. Once again, your buying into the allied scheme of history. Stalin killed 4 or 5 times more people that Hitler. And Im afraid, for your sake louthandproud, that that is an undisputed fact. He was keen on starting war too - Finland, Poland etc. He killed people in the army, the police and his party in the purges. Lots of civilians died in the Gulags. Communism was enforced with an iron hand.

Just to clear up the matter, what makes you believe Hitler was the greatest evil of all time? Is there facts that would point to him being harder than Stalin?

My opinion on Hitler being the biggest evil versus yours of Stalin being, hardly changes the argument.

All I can say is well done. This is as good as saying that if I buy an apple (metaphorical for stopping Hitler) it excuses me to steal a car (metaphorical for how bad the "Allies" were in reality). Your point of view is completely and utterly ignorant and lacks factual historical basis. It is pointless me talking to you: you have obviously bought into what youve heard and thats not going to change.

WWII would have been avoided for a lot of reasons, many of them the fault of the Allies, the principal of these being the Treaty of Versailles. Hitlers policies were based on the harsh terms of Versailles. But I suppose you will be, as always, unwilling to accept historical fact.

I do not dispute any of this, but it is hardly relevant to the question, the war happened, the allies won and they defeated if not the greatest evil, certainly one of them. Again that argument is hardly relevant to the fact. You say your self Ireland wasn't really neutral, so what side of the fence do you sit on?

Oh so the Swiss were supposed to go without weapons? And in the case of an attack??

Read the post fully before responding. To clear it up for you The allies and Germany both used Swiss banks and currency to obtain weapons, so the Swiss as well as "storing" loot for Jews made profits from both sides. If you don't know that then it may be you that is historically ignorant. Hardly a glorious example of neutrality to follow.
    I think you dont realize what neutral is in practical terms. It mainly means acting normally, as if there were no war, by treating both sides equally. I don't see how buying weapons to protect yourself (the principle upon which Swiss neutrality is based) is violating non-alignment.

So if we were attacked, what would you do? Switzerland have one of the most efficient military forces in the world and a Navy larger than ours.

Oh believe me louthandproud I am not neutral as regards this thread, my alignment is based purely on my innate hatred for historical ignorance.

Combine that with my innate hatred for people who have an inability to argue a topic and not keep jumping to side arguments. - Correction, I don't have innate hatreds for anything really. But you get my point.

You still having even responded to the question, should Ireland maintain a position of Neutrality (with as you said yourself a not really neutral position when it suits us) ? Or should we act with our allies when it is appropriate to do so.

PS: I dont care whether Ireland is neutral or not.

There you go, it wasn't that difficult.

wow you guys godwin early and often huh?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ok were obviosly not understanding each other well.

I dont mind about neutrality, I just want a meaningful debate on its merits/demrits.
    My opinion on Hitler being the biggest evil versus yours of Stalin being, hardly changes the argument.

Ok fair enough your opinion may be different.

But if your opinion is based on who killed the most people/who started wars then Im afriad Stalin scores higher on both scores.

You say your self Ireland wasn't really neutral, so what side of the fence do you sit on?

Im on the side that reads history and accepts facts even if I dont like them. I dont like the way Ireland neutral but in reality not. I wouldnt have minded too much being in the war, but what Ireland di was just snacky. Yet instead of hiding form that fact I admit it.

Read the post fully before responding. To clear it up for you The allies and Germany both used Swiss banks and currency to obtain weapons, so the Swiss as well as "storing" loot for Jews made profits from both sides. If you don't know that then it may be you that is historically ignorant. Hardly a glorious example of neutrality to follow.

As regards the banks, I don't see what the problem with it is. Its basically a stance of non-alignment. As a neutral country you cant decide to favour one side.

Im still skeptical about the Jewish Money, sounds more like one of those Network 2 documentaries, but its probably true.
    So if we were attacked, what would you do? Switzerland have one of the most efficient military forces in the world and a Navy larger than ours.

I am aware. Did you know that Switzerland can summon over 2 million soldiers to defense positions within 24 hours of being attacked? Amazing stuff, no wonder they've never been invaded!!!

wow you guys godwin early and often huh?

No, were just debating using historical information. Its quite a simply idea really, one where we support the points we make by reference to the past.

• Advertisement

its not semantics.we've only followed a neutral policy since ww2,and any govt is free to change this on a whim,unlike constitutional neutrality which would be guaranteed.name one net benefit for ireland of giving up our neutrality please?and btw since we are neutral the US and UK can hardly be considered our allies.
    Posted via Mobile Device[/]

So are we neutral or not? I take your point that we aren't constitutionally neutral. But I think it would be naive in the extreme to think we could change our neutrality policy on a whim.

One benefit, we could if required assist our allies (Militarily or not, the US and the UK are our allies, make no mistake, plus the rest of Europe ) in the event that they were attacked, they would certainly assist us as things stand. Two, we could do more than just keep the peace when that is a necessary thing to do, now people will argue that that is never a necessary thing to do. I refer them to UN's inability to prevent massacre's in Rwanda and Yugoslavia when the UN's peace mandate prevented them from taking necessary action.

Advertisement