Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutrality

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tallus wrote: »
    Some countries have been more turbulent than others tho.
    Are you saying that Ireland and england can't become allies ? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
    what makes ireland not neutral?Where do you stand on foreign intervention then?

My points about turbulent pasts were in response to Starbuck who was saying that because Ireland is/was occupied it should not get involved in foreign intervention of join an alliance. Many countries who have been at war are now in alliances so the that should not stop Ireland joining an alliance (which it already has) with Britain.

Neutrality is irrelevant these days, there is no cold war or simmering under current of political aggression. There are developed and politically stable countries and there are those in turmoil. The developed countries have a duty as human beings to help out those less fortunate and if that means foreign intervention then so be it.

There is a common travel area with the UK, IoM etc, there is freedom of movement with the EU and there are huge trade agreements in place accordingly. How people think this is the action of a neutral country is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

How do trade agreements effect neutrality ?
    I don't think it's irrelevant, there were neutral countries before there was a cold war.
    I certainly don't agree with the intervention thing, it's rarely for humanitarian reasons, more to do with natural resources and control of said resources.

How do trade agreements effect neutrality ?
    I don't think it's irrelevant, there were neutral countries before there was a cold war.
    I certainly don't agree with the intervention thing, it's rarely for humanitarian reasons, more to do with natural resources and control of said resources.

Bosnia, Chad, Lebanon, Zimbabwe?

You haven't answered the question, how can countries with trade agreements not still hold a neutral status.
    Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea. Not humanitarian missions.

You haven't answered the question, how can countries with trade agreements not still hold a neutral status.
    Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea. Not humanitarian missions.

The EU is not just a trade agreement though is it, it is much much more. The EU can expel a country if it disregards it's rules, such as the Human Rights directive etc. If the EU put a trade embargo on, for example, Zimbabwe, then each member state would be expected to coply, therby afecting their neutrality.

What would happen if Ireland started exporting military equipment to Iran, what action would the EU take?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't believe the EU did anything when Austria sold weapons to Iran a year or two ago, so I don't think it's an issue.

NTM

Ireland exporting military equipment ?
    LOL
    dude... come on and just look at post #37 what you typed:
    Lets face it, this charade of Neutrality suits Ireland down to the ground. The government can get away with spending less than the bare minimum on defence and the population can look on in self righteous shock as the rest of the world gets involved in bloody conflicts.
    /end quote
    I think we're getting carried away tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The EU is not just a trade agreement though is it, it is much much more. The EU can expel a country if it disregards it's rules, such as the Human Rights directive etc. If the EU put a trade embargo on, for example, Zimbabwe, then each member state would be expected to coply, therby afecting their neutrality.

What would happen if Ireland started exporting military equipment to Iran, what action would the EU take?

I think its illegal to set up munitions production in Ireland, just in case you were thinking of a business venture. Also until the Lisbon treaty is implemented there isn't afaik a common EU foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I think its illegal to set up munitions production in Ireland, just in case you were thinking of a business venture. Also until the Lisbon treaty is implemented there isn't afaik a common EU foreign policy.

It’s illegal to set up munitions production in Ireland? Who has made it illegal? Explain please, this is the first time I have ever heard of this.

Can't remember where I read it tbh, I think it was a law passed around WWII period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Star_Buck

Can't remember where I read it tbh, I think it was a law passed around WWII period.

Raytheon own weapons production facilities north and south of the border.

I think its illegal to set up munitions production in Ireland, just in case you were thinking of a business venture.

That would be a bit of an odd rule, since military production is quite acceptable. Timoney have been designing armoured vehicles for years, for example.

NTM

Ireland exporting military equipment ?
    LOL
    dude... come on and just look at post #37 what you typed:
    Lets face it, this charade of Neutrality suits Ireland down to the ground. The government can get away with spending less than the bare minimum on defence and the population can look on in self righteous shock as the rest of the world gets involved in bloody conflicts.
    /end quote
    I think we're getting carried away tbh.

I don't see what is wrong with thet TBH.

If ireland wanted to be neutral then it would need to spend a shed load of dosh on defence.

Ireland is a fence sitter, not neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's a bunch of companies in the south involved in the defence industry and weapon production to varying degrees. Ever wondered where all the microelectronics in those tanks, planes and missiles come from, for instance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Not sure if its illegal to produce munitions in ireland, but it certainly isnt illegal to produce components for weapon systems and vehicles.

http://www.afri.ie/ireland-arms-trade.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Star_Buck wrote: »
    Raytheon own weapons production facilities north and south of the border.
    Yes they do. A bit off topic here but Raytheon plant in Derry was opened by that lovely man and Noble Peace prize winner John Hume. Uncle Tom Hume made a living out of condemning the Provos and declaring himself to be a complete and perfect pacifist most influenced by people like Ghandi and Martin Luther King, and then this mega hypocrite goes and proudly opens up in Derry - a weapons production facility ?? ??

I don't suppose it's worth pointing out very successful arms manufacturers from Sweden (Bofors, Haaglunds, Saab... now BAe-owned) or Switzerland (Oerlikon, SIG).

NTM

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    ...a weapons production facility...
    I'm pretty sure Raytheon don't make weapons in Derry.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A bit off topic here but Raytheon plant in Derry...
    Completely off-topic. This thread is about Irish neutrality. Derry is in the UK.

Yes they do. A bit off topic here but Raytheon plant in Derry was opened by that lovely man and Noble Peace prize winner John Hume. Uncle Tom Hume made a living out of condemning the Provos and declaring himself to be a complete and perfect pacifist most influenced by people like Ghandi and Martin Luther King, and then this mega hypocrite goes and proudly opens up in Derry - a weapons production facility ?? ??

Someone called Slab murphy condeming someone for opening an arms factory:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't suppose it's worth pointing out very successful arms manufacturers from Sweden (Bofors, Haaglunds, Saab... now BAe-owned) or Switzerland (Oerlikon, SIG).
    Probably an advantage, if anything, to be based in a neutral country if you are an arms manufacturer.

what makes ireland not neutral?Where do you stand on foreign intervention then?

to throw this back to you, what makes Ireland Neutral?

Someone called Slab murphy condeming someone for opening an arms factory:confused:
    I'm 100% for arms factories for clandestine military organisations replying to british terrorism and thuggery;) But whan you get a hypocrite who spent his whole life caliming to be a pacifist and then he goes and proudly opens up an arms factory that contribute to dropping bombs on defendceless children in Iraq, Afghanistan, the West Bank etc the reason I made the point is to show the total hypocisy of Hume.

to throw this back to you, what makes Ireland Neutral?

Answering a question with a question? How clever of you. Ireland is neutral because it is a long running government policy with the widespread support of the Irish people. Simply really. Now back to you.

Answering a question with a question? How clever of you. Ireland is neutral because it is a long running government policy with the widespread support of the Irish people. Simply really. Now back to you.

when did the people get asked? The government has lots of policies which people don't agree with. (I already answered this question btw:))

If Ireland really wanted to be Neutral then surely it would have to hold a referendum and change the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I think that it would be more accurate to describe Ireland as militarily non-alligned rather than neutral, in that we are not members of any military alliance. How can you be neutral and still allow foreign military aircraft engaged in military action not sanctioned by the UN to make use of one of your airports ?

I think we generally sided with the US/UK side in the cold war, but we've never actually nailed our colours to the mast and signed on the dotted line with this support by joining NATO, yet we assume that if we were attacked by some hostile party, that Britain or NATO would come to our aid. It might be the clearest example of an Irish solution to an Irish problem, we don't want to make the investment in money and resources that NATO membership would entail, but we would unofficially count of them in times of emergency.

when did the people get asked? The government has lots of policies which people don't agree with. (I already answered this question btw:))

If Ireland really wanted to be Neutral then surely it would have to hold a referendum and change the constitution.

I agree that a referendum would provide a cast iron guarantee of neutrality, but just because it isn't in our constitution doesn't make something wrong or less of a policy. I didn't say that the people were asked, just that there is widespread support for neutrality. Britain is a war monger but I doubt they have it written in their (imaginary) constitution that they should behave as such. ;)

Edit: heyjude, who suggests that the US or Nato would protect us in the hugely unlikely event of an attack? I always assumed we would go to the UN first and deal with things diplomatically. Out of interest can anyone who has claimed we depend on the US/UK for protection show what protocols, guidelines or policies they are referring to?

I agree that a referendum would provide a cast iron guarantee of neutrality, but just because it isn't in our constitution doesn't make something wrong or less of a policy. I didn't say that the people were asked, just that there is widespread support for neutrality. Britain is a war monger but I doubt they have it written in their (imaginary) constitution that they should behave as such. ;)

Britain has a constitution, its just a lot older and a lot more complex than the Irish one. One badly misjudged war in Iraq does not make a country a war monger though.
    Out of interest can anyone who has claimed we depend on the US/UK for protection show what protocols, guidelines or policies they are referring to?

They are there alongside the neutrality ones :D

Britain has a constitution, its just a lot older and a lot more complex than the Irish one. One badly misjudged war in Iraq does not make a country a war monger though.
    britain has an unwritten constitution, which doesn't have the same safeguards for the British people as the Irish one for the Irish people. I think we both know Britain has been in a lot more than one badly misjudged war.

Fail tbh. I'm not aware of any defense agreement with Ireland and the US/UK that states they will come to our aid in the highly unlikely event of war being declared on Ireland. If you can't show that there is one then your criticisms of Irish neutrality are void imo.

• Advertisement

" One badly misjudged war in Iraq does not make a country a war monger though. " Britan has been invovled in more than just one misjudged war and is undoubtably one of the world's worst war mongers so long as it's against smaller numbers, a third world country or alongside America. To quote a good old friend of yours ( and mine :D )

India 1945 - 1948, Palestine 1945 - 1948, Mayala 1948 - 1960, Korea 1950 - 1953, Kenya, 1955 - 1959, Cyprus 1952 - 1960 , Aden 1955 - 1967, Suez 1956, the Six Counties 1969 - 1994, Malvina's 1982, Afghanistan and Iraq at present.

Advertisement