Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutrality

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

britain has an unwritten constitution, which doesn't have the same safeguards for the British people as the Irish one for the Irish people. I think we both know Britain has been in a lot more than one badly misjudged war.

I know, there are a lot of amendments to people's rights etc. dating right back to the signing of the Magna carta in Runnymede. it is a very complex issue, but not what this thread is about.

I was talking about wars this century :P

Fail tbh. I'm not aware of any defense agreement with Ireland and the US/UK that states they will come to our aid in the highly unlikely event of war being declared on Ireland. If you can't show that there is one then your criticisms of Irish neutrality are void imo.

that's what I mean, although both are talked about, neither exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I know, there are a lot of amendments to people's rights etc. dating right back to the signing of the Magna carta in Runnymede. it is a very complex issue, but not what this thread is about.

I was talking about wars this century :P
    So was I.

that's what I mean, although both are talked about, neither exist.
    How can you say government policy doesn't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So was I.
    How can you say government policy doesn't exist?

OK show me the policy on Neutrality.

Not the politicians talk, or the aspirations, the actual policy.

Personally I would be surprised if this government has any policy other than looking after its own interests, but that's another debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dev sez wrote:
    The policy of the state remains unchanged. We can only be friendly neutral. From the moment this war began, there was, for this state, only one policy possible, neutrality.

From; http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/timeline/411212awp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

One badly misjudged war in Iraq does not make a country a war monger though.
    I think you'll find that it actually does make a country a war monger. You just seem to have a problem facing up to that fact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement