Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving to Wexford - taking car

Options
  • 21-06-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I'm moving to Ireland in August, and will be bringing my car. The plan at the moment is to live there for a year, but I have no idea if that's how things will work out. I'll be taking a 3 or 6 month lease to begin with, and see how things pan out.

My question is, will I have to register the car in Ireland, or can I drive it on British plates/Tax while I'm there? Am I likely to find myself pulled over on a regular basis if I do?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're only here for a year or less you can probably still prove you have ties to the UK, even those resident here for tax purposes but who's personal ties are in another country are allowed keep their car resident here. Problem is the burden of proof is on you; and Customs have been on a crackdown, usually operating checks every day of the week recently.

You could also import the car here for a very low fee (compared to the horrific import taxes) if you can prove you've lived in the UK and had the car for 6 months there - fuel receipts, tax documents, payslips etc would work as proof. But you can't sell the car here for a year after that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you have 1-3 moths ( i thinks ) to pay vrt - the tax for changin to irish plates, but afaik , if you have say , a house here in ireland and a house in england , if its reg'd over there you can drive it over here once its got insurance...

would be best to get it changed to irish for the year for legal resons and get the nct done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

u'll find all the info here http://www.revenue.ie/

Advertisement