Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Users and disallowing access to specific folders

• 21-06-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have set up a new (unprivileged) user in Hardy Heron and want this user to have access only to specific folders on the filesystem - specifically the /etc (?) folder where certain applications are stored. Should I use Administration>Authorisations? or is there something simpler I can do? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Can you be more specific about what they should have access to? Is it that you don't want them to see the contents of /etc? Most programs store their configuration in there, so the user would be config-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Khannie wrote: »
    Can you be more specific about what they should have access to? Is it that you don't want them to see the contents of /etc? Most programs store their configuration in there, so the user would be config-less.
    My reading of the OP is that they want to give access to folders like etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

ok, appreciate it that my op was a bit vague. To be more precise: i would like to prevent this new user from changing the settings of a web blocking program. This program has been installed to prevent the user from viewing certain websites but user does not want to change the settings on this app.

Can the new user be blocked from gaining access to specific applications, even on a case by case basis, and still have the app running in the background. Will post with name of this app tomorrow. Thanks...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess if the app runs as root, then the configuration file would be readable only by root and it would work. Is the program privoxy or squidguard by any chance? Even if they can read the file, they can't write to it unless the filter is running as their own username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Red Alert wrote: »
    Is the program privoxy or squidguard by any chance? Even if they can read the file, they can't write to it unless the filter is running as their own username.

Dansguardian is the name of the app. And I think that sounds about the right: the ability to read but not write. Excuse the vagueness but my knowledge of the innards of *nix is limited.

http://dansguardian.org/?page=introduction

Oh yea and the 'user' is not me as in "I have a friend who likes to...is that bad?";)

• Advertisement
Advertisement