Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance claim procedure?

Options
  • 21-06-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

The missus rolled her car this morning - she's sound, but I don't think the car will be going back on the road.

What's the procedure for claiming off your insurance? She rang her insurance company to report it, but all she got was an answering maching - I presume it'll be monday before anyone gets back to her. What happens next though - we've never been through anything like this before!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You might have to notify the cops and report the accident if you are going to make a claim and definitally have to report it if there was any third party or any personal injury involved. They will send you out a claim form which you must fill in and return. They will then send out an assessor to inspect the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks,

No-one else involved, no property or third party damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't notify the guards unless you have to. I think you can be prosecuted for careless/dangerous driving after a single vehicle accident, depending on circumstances.

Not your ornery onager

She didn't - a neighbour of hers told her she didn't need to, they'd only come out and tell her to sort it out with her insurance company. The recovery truck driver said the same.

NB - it wasn't wreckless driving, just a very bad bend that happened to be slippy after the fresh rain. Another driver nearly lost it while we were waiting for the recovery truck.

What was the vehicle that rolled? Suzuki?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

The missus rolled her car this morning - she's sound, but I don't think the car will be going back on the road.

What's the procedure for claiming off your insurance? She rang her insurance company to report it, but all she got was an answering maching - I presume it'll be monday before anyone gets back to her. What happens next though - we've never been through anything like this before!?

I would have called the Gardai, still would if I were you, Insurance companies do take an interest in single vehicle accidents where the Gardai are not called.

And as for a prosecution for careless/dangerous driving after a single vehicle accident, well the Gardai would need a statement from the driver which of course is your wife and she is under no legal obligation to give a statement so no worries on that front as far as I would be concerned.

Anyway as for making a claim assuming you have comprehensive cover you need to move on this quickly. Get in contact first thing Monday and tell them what happened.

Tell your Insurers that you want them to send a motor assessor out to see the car ASAP. I assume the recovery truck driver has it and you need to do this quickly as on top of recovery fee, storage charges are accumulating each day.

In the mean time I would be onto the internet researching what a similar car to your own make, model, spec & mileage is selling for (on cbg.ie or something like that) so that in the event your car is a write off you know how much you should get. Watch out for deductions they might make for salvage and policy excess.

Also ask if your insurance gives you a free courtesy car, it is a good idea to get the wife back driving promptly and also being without a car these days is a real pain in the bum!

Any other questions or problems let us know!

Finally glad to know the better half is OK, but remember who ever was in the car is probably running on adrenaline just now so you may still want to drop down the GP on Monday just to make sure any aches and pains they might be feeling are only aches and pains.

Thanks for the replies.

She's not my wife, yet! I was buying myself a runaround tomorrow anyway - perfect timing, she can keep it ticking over til I get my current mobile sold.

She's not been charged for storage (pretty decent of the guy)

How long would she be waiting for payment does anyone know?

Thanks for the replies.

She's not my wife, yet! I was buying myself a runaround tomorrow anyway - perfect timing, she can keep it ticking over til I get my current mobile sold.

She's not been charged for storage (pretty decent of the guy)

How long would she be waiting for payment does anyone know?

Once they see the car and confirm it is a write off (oh and she has completed are claim form!) then most insurance companies have a KPI (key performance indicator) of no more than 10 working days before cheque being issued. So about 2 weeks to you or I!

She got on to them this morning - they said they'll send out an accessor, he'll have a look with the car with her and tell her on the spot if the car will be repaired or written off.

I thought there was a bit of leg-work before coming to a conclusion - getting quotes for parts and from the bodyshop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Same thing happened me, car was written off on the 24th of May. A figure was agreed on the 29th, but I didn't get the cheque until last Thursday. I'm with FBD, apart from the late cheque they couldn't have been more helpful. Agreed a more-than-fair price for the car too.

• Advertisement

I thought there was a bit of leg-work before coming to a conclusion - getting quotes for parts and from the bodyshop?!

No point in getting a quote if the car can not be repaired now is there! Of course this is an uneducated guess but if she rolled the car then I'd say the structural strength could be compromised.

What I mean is the body shell (door pillars and roof down to the floor panels) is not as strong as it was pre accident so rather than risk it rolling again and having it completley collapse.

I would suggest that in all probability given the damage and the probable safety risks if involved in another impact roll the the car will be a write off.

I don't work in a bodyshop, so I can't say I know what's repairable or not. Looking at it, it looks like it'd need to be reskinned - I'm sure someone would be able to put it back on the road!

If it was repairable, he'd be back to get a quote on the work involved?

Still wondering what vehicle it was that rolled?

Not your ornery onager

I don't work in a bodyshop, so I can't say I know what's repairable or not. Looking at it, it looks like it'd need to be reskinned - I'm sure someone would be able to put it back on the road!

If it was repairable, he'd be back to get a quote on the work involved?

Well there are two kinds of write off

BER (beyond economic repair) which means it can be safely repaired but the cost of repairs will be more than the finished repaired car will be worth.

TWO (total write off) can not be safely repaired for example the chassis is bent or twisted and that kind of damage may not be visible to yours or mines naked and untrained eye.

If it is repairable then you might get asked to send the Insurance company an estimate for repairs so you might want to be ready for that.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Same thing happened me, car was written off on the 24th of May. A figure was agreed on the 29th, but I didn't get the cheque until last Thursday. I'm with FBD, apart from the late cheque they couldn't have been more helpful. Agreed a more-than-fair price for the car too.

She just changed over from fbd to hastings - hopefully they're not as slow!

Cheers for the help lads.

Update - it's a write-off! Now to see what it was worth.............

Still waiting to know what it was.... please.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Still waiting to know what it was.... please.

one of these:rolleyes:

Advertisement