Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage question!

• 21-06-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I have some sausages in my freezer that I took out to defrost over night. This morning I realised that the sell by date on them is May 08. They have been frozen for a couple of months though. Do you think they are ok to eat? I really fancy some for my breakfast!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If they were frozen directly after purchase, then yes, they should be fine. I do this with meat all the time and i'm still standing.

Actually just to add to that if they happen to smell kind of "funky" (which is unlikely) don't use them obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Damzilla

They smell fine. Even nicer now they are sizzling away in the pan. Hopefully I'll live to tell the tale.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭nc6000

Is everyone still alive after today's sausages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Surely the whole point in freezing something is that it will outlast the sell by/best before date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you freeze meat it wil keep forever basically.

I tend to label meat with the date i froze it on, so them i can check the use by date when im defrosting and I know howmany days its good for by comparing it with the day it was frozen of.

IE I froze it on the 23/5/08 and the use by date is 27/5/08 I know that its good defrosted for about 4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

True meat will keep for ages- it will smell if its off usually.

Only thing is that if its meat with a high fat content it will go off much quicker-- the fat goes rancid even in the freezer given long enough!

Advertisement