Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Smiths

• 21-06-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember when rock band The Smiths played a gig in Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

cant say that i do, where did those badboys play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I remember it was in the mid 80's and they played in the Savoy which is now the Book Centre.

Wasnt my type of music but I remember a few lads from school went and said they were brilliant.

Bad manners also played there as well around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

The Smiths
    Rock Band

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Yeah I remember....I wasn't allowed go!
    Its true, they played in the Savoy, sorry i missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

If my memory serves me right it was around 1984, good times! I was only talking about it the other day and I'm sure Thin Lizzy played there around the same time too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember that, didn't see them, Morrissey was on the loacal radio and spotted about Barronstrand area a few times.

That gig was one of several in the mid-eighties that featured famous names like the Human League, Music Moves
    did quite a bit of work to get decent live bands down here back then.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

My sis was at it, still has the ticket, must check the date on it.
    I'm off to see Morrissey down in Cork on Thur coincidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

I'm glad to say I was there. I wasn't a huge fan at the time but I became one after that gig. Strangely enough - I seem to remember there wasn't a huge crowd there but they still put on a great gig. I don't think a band as big as the Smiths were at the time have played in Waterford since.

Had the show taken place even 6 months later it would have been heaving I'd say but equally they'd have been too big for us by then!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

If my memory serves me right it was around 1984, good times! I was only talking about it the other day and I'm sure Thin Lizzy played there around the same time too. :D

You're right they did... they also played in the bridge hotel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

The Smiths in the Savoy remember it well - for the crack i stuck the branch of a tree instead of flowers down me jeans in the same style as Morrisey!!

Support act on the night was James of the hit song "Sit Down" fame

Bad Manners - i was at that as well - only about 40 turned up- they had a raffle to go backstage and meet the band afterwards which i won - was asked to leave when the vendors of illegal substances came along!!

Anyone remeber Tranvision Vamp playing in the Bridge- had to be the worse ever - i think it was one of their first ever live performances - they had to start one song three or four times before they got it right - but Wendy James was worth watching

Others UB40 in the Butler

Paul Weller i'm sure played as well

And the legend Paul Oakenfold in the Bridge ( at least they said it was him but i always had my doubts as it didnt look like him)

The Prodigy in the Metroland was another good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Roen wrote: »
    My sis was at it, still has the ticket, must check the date on it.
    I'm off to see Morrissey down in Cork on Thur coincidentally.

Would really love to see a scan of that (Smiths) ticket if you could manage it.

The Smiths were undoubtely one of the greatest British groups of all time. I think Noel Gallagher pretty much sums it up here, listen to what he says about Johnny Marr in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1MsuoNJQ3U

Waterford could learn from a thing or two from doing a gig like this & start bringing big name bands over here today.

Anybody got any pictures lying around of the gig by any chance?

Big name bands won't go outside Dublin unless its for a festival beano these days, they rarely did in the old days. Playing a show in front of say 700-1000 punters would mean a certain loss so they don't do it, they won't make an exception for us!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Tanabe wrote: »
    Would really love to see a scan of that (Smiths) ticket if you could manage it.

The Smiths were undoubtely one of the greatest British groups of all time. I think Noel Gallagher pretty much sums it up here, listen to what he says about Johnny Marr in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1MsuoNJQ3U

Waterford could learn from a thing or two from doing a gig like this & start bringing big name bands over here today.

Anybody got any pictures lying around of the gig by any chance?

Just texted her and she reckons it has been lost in the house moves she's had. It could be in the attic here though. Could be a long time before it surfaces to be honest, but if it does I'll be hitting up Mike for a go on that scanner of his :)

:D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

mike65 wrote: »
    Big name bands won't go outside Dublin unless its for a festival beano these days, they rarely did in the old days. Playing a show in front of say 700-1000 punters would mean a certain loss so they don't do it, they won't make an exception for us!

Mike.

That's the problem though Mike. If it's not Dublin it doesn't happen. Whelan's wouldn't even hold the likes of the 700 - 1000 or so punters, or even Cyprus Avenue in Cork. Why is it that they can continuously get the decent bands but Waterford can't?
    Roen wrote: »
    Just texted her and she reckons it has been lost in the house moves she's had. It could be in the attic here though. Could be a long time before it surfaces to be honest, but if it does I'll be hitting up Mike for a go on that scanner of his :)

Thanks Roen, it'd be nice to see it someday hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I remember the Prodigy playing the Metroland alright, did the Chemical Brothers play the bridge once or am I imagining it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the chemical brothers didn't play the bridge, but underworld did.
    also about 6 months before they went massive snow patrol played in waterford, in whats now (was) paul flynns.
    any number of big name dj's have played her as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

longshanks wrote: »
    any number of big name dj's have played her as well.

true, practically all the major dj's (and not just the commercial big name ones) have played in waterford over the last 10 years. 2-3 years ago waterford had the best dance music scene in ireland outside of dublin.

Advertisement