Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on wiring up a telephone system

Options
  • 21-06-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi, Im setting up a PBX system and I am using a cat 5 lead to run 4 phones off it,

8 cores split into 4 two ply cables

so my question is that, will Caller ID work with a phone lead that I am making with only the middle two leads being used in the RJ 11?

Thanks for any comments

Dylan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Depends on the system.. Digital system yes.. Analogue yes but probably only with single line telephones....
    Why skimp on the wiring? why not run two cat5's to each point and network the place... Is it a business application? if so they'll prob need a pc at each extension point.. If your really stuck you can wire a network point a nd a 4 wire telephone off a single cat 5 but will need a minimum of one cat5 to each point to do this .. (But IMO it's as easy to pull two cables as one..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dilo

great thanks for that johnnie,

all the wiring is done, So im trying to make do with what I have, what do you mean by single line analogue phone? as in one line for numbers on screen??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

As Johnie says it all depends on the system. For example I supply low end analogue systems that do allow caller ID but only if you add a caller ID module. Also it will only work with the priority phones with screens. I also have a digital system which works on the 2 wire system but this will only allow caller ID if you use ISDN.

Best thing you can do is tell us what system you have, brand, model number, extension set up etc. Then one of us will prob have experience with this model and tell you what you can and cant do with it.

dilo wrote: »

what do you mean by single line analogue phone?
    Thanks

SLT refers to what I and many call a pot (Plain old telephone).. which is any analogue phone coreded or cordles available in many shops..
    To properly advise you would need to give us some details..( in the meantime dont skimp on the wiring..:D )

dilo wrote: »

all the wiring is done, ??

Thanks

OOps only saw that now...lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement