Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

??? Chance of appeal succeeding

Options
  • 21-06-2008 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey am wondering about chance of an appeal in Archtiecture being successful?
    Fail by 4% ... & didn't get 50 credits. (Dad was ill, but not sure whether that would be considered a reason at this stage) Also know of student appealing marks with 1% studio fail am not sure about their credits.

Anyone know what the chances are? Would really appreciate comment from anyone with experience of appeals especially in Arch or knows about them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

I was also wondering what sort of % of claims are upgraded to higher grades. I got a final grade of 3.62 and would consider appealing on all of my papers just in the wild hope that some of them get marked up. I am quite aware that this would make me as popular as a kick in the pants with admin, and probably make me seem like the biggest chancer ever... but still.. sooo close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

What you'll find is that in order to increase your final grade by what seems a small percent actually requires a far greater increase across the board to achieve e.g. a 4% increase overall for 10 subjects requires a 40% increase on your papers.

It is extremely unlikely that all of your papers would be remarked unless you had a very good reason. Having one or two papers remarked is fair enough if you have justification but it is also unlikely that you would get an increase in any unless there was a mistake made in the awarding of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You must have adequate grounds for an appeal. The acceptable grounds may be summarised as:

That you suffered from some illness or some personal or family trauma around the time of the assessment of which the examiners were unaware. The test that will be applied in assessing the merit of your appeal is whether your particular circumstances prevented you from performing in the assessment at the level of which you would normally be capable. The illness must be shown to have affected you in the assessment itself or in the period immediately leading up to it.

http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/exam_appeal.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Thanks ... I have read this but am just wondering what the liklihood of success is ... think Dad's illness would qualify as circumstance but would be interested in knowing what % of appeals are successful. Has anyone had experience of the process?

I applied for extenuating circumstances for my finals last year as I missed about 1/3 of the last term due to illness and wasn't well for more although I came in. I don't know what actually happened, maybe my results were bumped up somewhat, but I was very happy anyway.

It certainly won't hurt to appeal.

• Advertisement

Thanks ... was in ... a lot of studio work to get thro as well as the study for exams... but it was difficult as I was stressed out by Dad etc .. and wasn't as focused as I might have been. sound like it could be worth trying. Am glad things worked out for you, hopw you're doing ok now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Pythia ... What did you go up by?

mickydi wrote: »
    Pythia ... What did you go up by?

I applied before the exams so I'll never know how much I went up by.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Hey am wondering about chance of an appeal in Archtiecture being successful?
    Fail by 4% ... & didn't get 50 credits. (Dad was ill, but not sure whether that would be considered a reason at this stage) Also know of student appealing marks with 1% studio fail am not sure about their credits.

Anyone know what the chances are? Would really appreciate comment from anyone with experience of appeals especially in Arch or knows about them.

What sort of results have you had in previous years???? Did you perform well with any continuous assessment modules? I know they like the sayin "the best way to predict the future is to examine the past!" when it comes to appeals! Clearly if you were hittin the 1st class honour mark in previous years it will stand to you more than if you spent 3 years scraping a pass!!

Nothing ventured and all that..........

Have had problem once before with structures but would be 2.2 I think in studio and have always passed other tech stuff. Haven't failed any studio stuff before .... and this time it's by 4% ... 2 E grades for the studio work!!!! Failed structures too but wouldn't appeal it ... think I should resit it. Would consider appeal for studio though as at least then could go into next stage and resit the exam bit ... and was quite close ... most marks high 30%s & 1 a 42%(pass). Don't think would ever get a 1st but would aim for 2.1 or good 2.2 grade for nest year work & finals. What do you think? With these grades would it be worth trying? Would be very happy at this stage to be brought to bare 40% pass & up credits to 50 so that could go into next stage & get head down!!
    Would fact that the illness wasn't mentioned before be a negative point?... Was hoping to do enough ... and didn't even know it could be considered... should be able to get letter from Doc as proof tho havent looked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Normally extenuating circumstances certs need to be given beforehand for them to be accepted unless it's a case of it happening during your exams.

The fact that this wasn't brought to their attention earlier will be a problem as this would need to be factored in at the exam boards before the finalisation of your grade. There's no harm in trying though.

Hi, thanks for the comment .... wasn't even aware that should have let anyone know about the situation ... in fact apart from a few friends didn't really discuss it much. Looking at grounds for appeal it lists one of them as being circumstances of which the examiners were unaware, so thought this might be considered ... probably as you say worth a try. Going to talk to programme office about the situation ..... living in hope.

Does anybody know of anyone appealing successfully on any ground .... haven't heard about anyone and it's knida worrying!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

OP, I presume you've e-mailed erin o malley. (erin[dot]omalley[at]ucd[dot]ie) I'm also doing architecture (just finished 3rd year) and she's really helpful. She usually knows the score with any questions related to the course, and if nothing else, she'll tell you who to get in touch with in order to take it further. Best of luck with the appeal.

Thanks for the good luck ... think I'll need it. Yes have e- mailed Erin and am waiting on reply. Glad to hear you're all finished ... hope you got degree you hoped for. Did you hear how things went generally over the 3 years?
    Still haven't heard from anyone who has gone through or knows someone who has gone through the appeals process ... begining to wonder if it is used at all!!! Anyone?!!

Advertisement