Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect New Laptop to NTL Broadband

Options
  • 21-06-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm trying to get NTL broadband to work on my new Dell Isspiron 1525. I've been trying the NTL premium line most of the day with no luck and fear I'm being charged 95c every time I get told to call back.

Anyway, it's a USB connection I have running from the NTL modem to my current desktop. I've tried switching this to the laptop but nothing happens. I've been told all I need to do is connect a LAN/network cable and follow the instructions from there but this has also proved fruitless.

Any ideas in as simple terms as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you have a network cable (note: not a usb cable)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Ham Slicer

I think so. There was a cable that came with the laptop. It has the same connections as a telephone wire. So I assume that's a network connection.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you have a network cable (note: not a usb cable)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ham Slicer wrote: »
    I think so. There was a cable that came with the laptop. It has the same connections as a telephone wire. So I assume that's a network connection.
    nope, you are looking for one that is similar to that but a little fatter.

Ham Slicer wrote: »

If you are not sure, get to a computer shop and buy one, they are around €5.

When you have one, power everything off, including the modem/router, plug the network cable into the laptop and into the modem/router and power everything on.

That is all you need to do.

For your sanity, do not use a USB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jaypea1

I just got myself a wireless netgear wgr614 router. Is it just a matter of connecting it to the ntl cable modem or do i need to configure it to get internet access from a laptop?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Moved from Laptop forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

With the NTL cd you would have gotten a driver disk. This will need to be installed on your laptop if you're using the USB cable.

If you're using the ethernet one (like a phone cable but bigger) connect this and unplug the modem and plug it back in a few minutes later.

Re wireless router. Connect it, unplug modem. Plug both devies in. The laptop should pick up the wireless signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Ham Slicer

Thanks lads - I have that running now.

Very simple in the end but I'd be still fiddling with it out if I hadn't come here.

Advertisement