Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs Russia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Comedy Football :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Amazing that Zhirkov & Arshavin are still playing in the Russian league considering they are 25 and 27. They are both fantastic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

O M F G

When are Russia going to put one away?

Also, anyone else find it rather strange that the Dutch are playing for penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Goal. <3 Russia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

YES!!!!!

How many times have Russia crossed the ball across the goal mouth from the left wing like that ? I cant count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nice

Quality, he avoided the post too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Ah well 1 in 5 not a bad hit rate......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He touched it in. About time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bloody hell. Come on Sneijder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tusky wrote: »
    Amazing that Zhirkov & Arshavin are still playing in the Russian league considering they are 25 and 27. They are both fantastic.

There is ridiculous amounts of money in the Russian league these days, thats why there is so many good Brazilians and the likes playing there....

Great great goal... These tournaments are actually absolutely fantastic!!!!

Goodnight.

Goal!!! MOTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fantasy football!!

Bye bye Holland. Shocking result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Arshavin just won the player of the tournament award, I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Class goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Van der Sar. :D:D:D

Nutmeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Puff-ball Dutch! Great play by Arshavin and nothing less than he deserved.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and they chant his name as europe watches on to see which club can sign him, he is scorching hot property right now

Guus Hiddink isn't going to be Mr Popular in Holland tonight. :D

He said he'd be happy to be named Traitor of the Year!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Gutted :(

But wow how great are Russia. I really admired them before the tournament and hope they would do themselves justice, first game i thought it was over but fair play to them, they look 50 times better with Arshavin in the team.

But really where the hell was Robben?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

What can I say absolutely gutted, I cant even fathom what has happened to us to go from such a good side to this tonight. Number of reasons , we have played badly, we had no robben, and in the dutch media there has been a lot of talk about the bad feeling in the camp following Boularhouz's kid death, and the measure of the man coming back says alot.

Horrible night.

All that is left I can say is well done to Russia, they have been very good, should of beaten us more and fair play to Guus , at least there will be one dutch man left.

• Advertisement

Proof that shaving your arse works...

Have we seen the winners of Euro 2008?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ooijer is one of the worst defenders that played in the championships

Sherifu wrote: »
    Proof that shaving your arse works...

:D The Dutch look bamboozled.

Arsharvin is just ridiculously good. Im absolutely amazed that he is not more well known.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    But really where the hell was Robben?

The BBC say he had a groin injury problem. Shame as I reckon he could have made a big difference.

Credit to Russia though. Playing great football and you have to admire Arse Shavings and the Pavster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Esse85 wrote: »
    Ooijer is one of the worst defenders that played in the championships
    Really?

They had a bad game today, and had only conceeded 1 goal prior this , so real good call there from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Nope. They'll get knocked out in the semis. But I'm glad I took a punt on them tonight.

Germany v Turkey

&

Russia v Spain or Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mike.

I'd say chances are the team that win it will have been on telly at some stage over the last 2 weeks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

What the hell is George talking about.
    Euro 96 was decided on the golden goal so no idea where he found his stat for all games going to penalties.

Well done to the Russians, they were fantastic. I will be really interested to see how they cope with the Spanish should they qualify

cooker3 wrote: »
    What the hell is George talking about.
    Euro 96 was decided on the golden goal so no idea where he found his stat for all games going to penalties.

Well done to the Russians, they were fantastic. I will be really interested to see how they cope with the Spanish should they qualify

Considering Spain beat them 4-1 (or was it 3-1) in the group stages. The big difference is Arshavin. He has only played the last 2 games for Russia. Tonight he got a goal and created another. He is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cruijff wrote: »
    Really?

They had a bad game today, and had only conceeded 1 goal prior this , so real good call there from you.

Who's they???

Im only talking about Ooijer here, and this statement is certainly not based purely on tonights performance.

I understand if your upset:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭finlma

I predicted Russia to win the tournament before it started and was laughed at by all my friends. Looks like I'll be the one laughing all the way to the bookies with the 33/1 I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Outstanding side.

Pure football at its purest

• Advertisement

finlma wrote: »
    I predicted Russia to win the tournament before it started and was laughed at by all my friends. Looks like I'll be the one laughing all the way to the bookies with the 33/1 I got.

Bit premature maybe but definitely a good bet! How much did you stick on ? They have seriously impressed me. Not only are they getting results, they are playing great football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cruijff wrote: »
    Really?

you're deluding yourself if you think he isn't a poor player. he's always looked a weak link in every single appearance in an orange shirt I can remember from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭finlma

Bit premature maybe but definitely a good bet! How much did you stick on ? They have seriously impressed me. Not only are they getting results, they are playing great football.

I'm jumping the gun a bit I admit but they look good and have a decent chance. I only have €20 but it would be a nice earner for the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

People obviously forget Hiddinks relationship with semi finals.

People obviously forget Hiddinks relationship with semi finals.

he's had some notoriously bad luck in them though. it's rarely from any poor organisation on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Arsharvin is just ridiculously good. Im absolutely amazed that he is not more well known.

Ive been ranting on about him the last year and nobody has listened :D
    I support and watch a lot of Zenit and hes like this all the time, my Russian mate is mad about Zenit and made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu4bcKTZ5PY&feature=related

he hasnt left Zenit yet because hes been at them forever after coming through from Zenit 2, hes from St Petersburg, gets 3million euros a year, is an absolute hero in St Petersburg and now has champions lge football, but hes getting on in years so has started to signal his intention to go to England. back in January he said he'd love to go to Newcastle, i think he can set his aspirations a lot higher now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

finlma wrote: »

i got them at 40-1 and have a tenner on them, people were laughing at that after the Spain game ut ill be laughing all the way to the bank if they keep this up.

Legends are the Russians, first Zenit win the UEFA cup, then they win the eurovision and now theres a good cahnce they can win this...there're really going palces :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Puff-ball Dutch!

Sums it up quite nicely. The RTE commentators called it "showing Russia some respect" :rolleyes:

The only way for the Dutch to win is to play "totaal voetbal" and completely go for it attacking all the way - no fear. More often than not this will work out, just like it did against Italy and France. The million little passes just outside the Russian penalty area during the extra time were pathetic.
    Great play by Arshavin and nothing less than he deserved.

Absolutely. What a player and cruciually important in nearly every strike of his team. It's not over yet, but so far he clearly is the man of the tournament

unkel wrote: »
    The only way for the Dutch to win is to play "totaal voetbal" and completely go for it attacking all the way - no fear. More often than not this will work out, just like it did against Italy and France. The million little passes just outside the Russian penalty area during the extra time were pathetic.

they didn't play total voetbal against either team... they got a goal from a setpiece in the first that caused Italy to come out and chase the game, then hit them on the counter. And well, the French's negative approach and awful selection pretty much handed them that game, yet even so they still relied on counter attacking and gave the French way too much space that other teams would have punished. They aren't a great team and were really flattered by the scorelines they got, they have a spate of good attackers, but their midfield can't thread a pass, they ether rely on long balls or the forwards to come deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Never really expected anything less that a straight up Holland win in this one.
    Well done Russia, or Arshavin...

Advertisement