Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax question

Options
  • 21-06-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm looking at a car at the moment, getting a good deal on it, but the tax disk is about 6 months out of date, if I buy the car do I have to back date the tax on it or is it just from the date I buy the car. I can't seem to find the answer to this, so hoping you can help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you get the car declared off the road for those months you'll need to pay the arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MYOB wrote: »
    Unless you get the car declared off the road for those months you'll need to pay the arrears.

Not so.

you're only liable for road tax from the date of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not so.

Exactly!!!:D

Not so.

Personally maybe, but if the tax is not paid by the former owner, you're not going to be able to pay from that date without the car having been declared off-road.

If the tax is 6 months out I'd be asking other questions such as whether the car has been sitting up somewhere for 6 months unused and what damage that has done to the battery, possibly braking if handbrake was on, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

Personally maybe, but if the tax is not paid by the former owner, you're not going to be able to pay from that date without the car having been declared off-road.

If the tax is 6 months out I'd be asking other questions such as whether the car has been sitting up somewhere for 6 months unused and what damage that has done to the battery, possibly braking if handbrake was on, etc, etc.

Would the current owner have to declare it off road, or can I do that.

My mechanic will be giving it a good going over before I buy it, it was just the tax that I couldn't an aswer to.

Still a bit confused as answers are conflicting on this, anyone know for definate how this works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

if the tax is not paid by the former owner, you're not going to be able to pay from that date without the car having been declared off-road.
    That is not true. How on earth can a new owner declare that the car has been 'off the road' if the new owner doesn't know whether it has or not?

That is not true. How on earth can a new owner declare that the car has been 'off the road' if the new owner doesn't know whether it has or not?

What he said!

The date of sale is recorded on the VRC, you are only liable for road tax for when the car is under your ownership, past owners' non paid taix isn't your concern.
    If the ownership of the vehicle has changed since it was last taxed, you are NOT liable for the arrears period from the expiry of the last tax
    disc to the end of the month immediately preceding the date of sale.

Ah right. Will have to see can I extract the months tax Kildare County Council/motortaxonline let me pay for a car I didn't own, then... doubt it as it was last year (untaxed for June, bought it in July, MTO had me pay for June).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As the others said, your liability only begins at the start of the month in which you take ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ValleyoftheDoll

What he said!

The date of sale is recorded on the VRC, you are only liable for road tax for when the car is under your ownership, past owners' non paid taix isn't your concern.

Great, thanks for that:)

• Advertisement

Ah right. Will have to see can I extract the months tax Kildare County Council/motortaxonline let me pay for a car I didn't own, then... doubt it as it was last year (untaxed for June, bought it in July, MTO had me pay for June).

to tax the car online, you had to have a PIN number, printed on the green motor tax renewal form addressed to the licensed owner. what did you expect?!

to tax the car online, you had to have a PIN number, printed on the green motor tax renewal form addressed to the licensed owner. what did you expect?!

The PIN number is the start of the VIN.

I was the licenced owner by the stage I taxed it, which was an entire new month after it had run out, I didn't own the car for any of June which it was untaxed in.

Did they let you pay or demand that you pay it? The onus seems to be on the motorist to prove that they are not liable.

The MTOs will receive, with open arms, any money that you're willing to donate! ;)

Well, the site told me what I had to pay, I didn't think of questioning it, one months tax on a 1.1 isn't a major amount of cash to lose in the scheme of things motoring wise...

I was the licenced owner by the stage I taxed it, which was an entire new month after it had run out, I didn't own the car for any of June which it was untaxed in.

last 6 digits of the VIN (new registrations only), the car was registered in June, so as far as they are concerned you were driving it, the motortax.ie site is a brilliant system, but if you are getting the guards to sign a car off the road for a month or portion of a month, you obviously have to tax it in person.
    When you collected the car, you should have received the RF100 for the car, along with instructions for taxing the car online (back page) this goes through everything.

When you tax the car online, it tells you what month the new disc covers, and when it will expire.

one months tax on a 1.1 isn't a major amount of cash to lose in the scheme of things motoring wise...
    One month would be over €100 for me! :(

I didn't get the Guards to sign off on it, I realistically didn't care much...

The car wasn't registered in June, nor was it re-registered to me in that June. I didn't possess or drive the car for that time, and it seems from your posts here that I shouldn't have had to pay the (about 20 euros) that its going to cost me for that one month.

It was a s/hand car, so I didn't collect the RF100 with it, I got given the ye-olde VRC, got it signed, sent it off and got a new RF100 in the post. Which has no instructions on taxing it on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The start of my VIN is "JHMEK"?

what threw me was the PIN number, it's only linked to the chassis number for first taxation.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    The start of my VIN is "JHMEK"?
    last 6 digits of chassis number, only for 1st taxation

The RF100 you collect with a new car is very similar to a motor tax renewal form, pre filled with car and owner details.

did your name and address come up on motortax.ie when you taxed it?

I can't remember where I got the PIN from, there's a damn good chance I asked on here actually! Also might have phoned the MTO, either way I 'appropriated' the PIN required.

Yes, my name and address came up.

• Advertisement

weird!

you'll never get your 20 quid, unless you go on Joe Duffy.

This is Kildare, even if I went on Liveline they'd still not give it back...

Council which claims that providing 26 normal and 26 recycling bin collections is 'more collections' than 52+13, and claims theres no mathematical problems with that.

Advertisement