Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do Law & European studies in UL?

Options
  • 21-06-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

OK so I've got just over a week to change my CAO. As it stands law and european studies is my 2 choice in UL, nutrition in UCD is first. But after reading all this boards.ie chat about UL I'm starting to have a serious change of heart. Both my parents are from Limerick.. so I wouldn't be totally lost if I did move there. I've lived in Dublin all my life though, tried arts in UCD last year (left in November---->yes it was that bad!). I think college could be more fun away from home. I'm a people person and have lots of friends but am worried I might not fit in/like living in Limerick/ UL/ my course.

Is anyone doing the course? Is it any use?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

plumlover wrote: »
    tried arts in UCD last year (left in November---->yes it was that bad!)

i lasted two weeks in dit and dropped out so i know how u feel
    I think college could be more fun away from home.

you think right moving out to go back to college was easily the best decision iv made
    I'm a people person and have lots of friends but am worried I might not fit in/like living in Limerick/ UL/ my course.

if you want to you will fit in just fine there is no excuse for not finding a group of people you can hang with in ul there are all sorts and they are all pretty cool as said in other threads living on campus and clubs and socs is the key

cant comment on the course although my roommate is doing it and she seems to find it good but tough enough, u share alot of modules with business in first year as far as i know and well business is easy so you shouldnt find things too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I'm going into 3rd year Business. I actually had Law & Accounting down as 1st on my CAO but missed it by a few points, but a few of my friends are doing it, so I went along to a few lectures to see what I missed out on. The law side of the course is fairly interesting, especially criminal law which you have in first year. Can't say anything about the Euro studies side of it. With Law & Euro you're not actually in any of the Business modules throught your course, it's Law & Accounting that share the common modules.

ye sorry got confused with the laccies ignore what i said about the course

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

Ok cool thanks very much that was helpful! Do you recommend living on campus? why, why not? I think I'm going to go for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Def advise living on campus, its especially good for getting to know some new people. Killmurry is great craic, Plassey is good sometimes to. It seems to vary from year to year. I've lived in Kilmurry, so I would recommend it, don't know a whole lot about the rest of them, except for Cappavilla which is very new and is only a short walk now with the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

No.

And Criminal Law is as boring as shoite too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Im doing Law and Euro, heading into my final year now (hopefully!) and I love it. But just wondering if Nutrition is your first choice, why such a different second choice? Law& Euro is a great degree to have whether you want to continue that way later or not, but just wondering if you just want to go to UL or you actually like the sound of the course?! Anyways, for L&E you would really want to like your language as you'll be keeping it up for four years and also pick your elective right first day, other than that, I don't think it's a difficult course, there are lots of options and its open enough so id definitely recommend it!

I've always wanted to do nutrition, well for a few years. However I am more interested in the holistic side of nutrition which is not a big feature here in Ireland. It is very scientifically based, in particular chemistry. Which is important but I hate chemistry. I have always had an interest in law, and I love languages, did honours french for L.C and liked it a lot but recently like Italian, which unfortunately isn't an option. I did want to be a lawyer for the first few years of secondary.

I definitely want to go on erasmus, which I don't think would be possible/helpful in a nutrition course.

If I still want to do nutrition after, I can go abroad and do a course in England.

What electives did you choose? would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm from Dublin too, there's not too many of us down here. Ended up coming to UL without really planning on it.

All my friends in Dublin hate living at home and hate UCD. UL is the most fun I've ever had. Living away from home, a whole new circle of friends, complete freedom.

Do it. I absolutely guarantee you won't regret it. I didn't get my first choice which was UCD and had no option but to go to UL, didn't know what I was getting myself into at the time as I only knew one other person going down. Couldn't be happier I didn't get my first choice to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do remember that Law and European is now Law Plus, which means that the European part is optional. I'm a Business Student and I'm glad I didn't put Law and Accounting first. Law would have been of no interest to me and I get the same accounting modules.

If you're looking for a law course though I can't imagine that Law and Accounting is anything but one of the best. It gives you a lot of the knowledge you'll need as a lawyer in non-law issues concerning businesses.

Law Plus I can't speak for but the prospectus seems to paint a good picture of the course and if I was inclined to do a law course, it'd be up there at the top of the queue

http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/humanities/LM029.shtml

The electives look very interesting actually, but please for the love of God, don't pick politics if politics is something you're into, as many MANY people I know have been left disappointed by going on the assumption that it's somehow linked to the political environment in Ireland or worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

With regards to the electives, I've just completed HPSS which carries most of these as its main subjects so I can advise you a little on some from my own experience and from friends' experiences.

Economics - there's a humanities version of the economics courses (so that you're not in with Business heads) which means its fairer when it comes to grading, etc. If you've done economics at LC level then first year will be a doddle - it's basically the LC course in a little more detail.

History - I would really advise against doing this with Law. I'm a history major and tbh, history is a helluva lot of work and requires a lot of reading. That's all fine if it's the main component (as it was in my degree) but if it's only an elective then it can be a bit consuming, especially with the work that's necessary for law as well. It's also extremely hard to achieve high grades in history modules. The History Dept is notoriously hard-marking and requires a lot of dedication to achieve a decent grade.

Politics - I'd agree to an extent with what ninty9er said above. Politics modules are a lot more theoretical and discursive rather than focusing on contemporary political events. There's a lot of political theory and discussion, but I wouldn't necessarily say to avoid it if you're interested in the theoretical basis to politics. You can do quite well in it with effort and some independent thought and critical thinking. The latter two are vital to succeed in a politics course.

Public Administration - this may be more similar to what incoming prospective students may associate with 'politics'. It focuses more on the practical element of government, that is to say - the civil service, electoral systems, party politics, local government, politico-economic relations, welfare state, etc. It mostly focuses on Ireland as well, with some delving into the EU. It's an 'easy' enough option if you're interested in it as sometimes it can get a little tedious, but it's all right and you can do well in it with a bit of effort.

Sociology - Focuses on society and societal constructs such as gender, femininity/masculinity; also, exclusion/inclusion, equality/inequality; how society behaves; the influence of the media; education in society; contemporary society..that sort of thing. Again, quite possible to do well with a little effort, some originality and independent, critical thinking.

Basically, just don't choose history. It'd require a lot of work without producing corresponding results. I can't help with the other options, I'm afraid, but hope that gives some insight into these ones anyway.

Is that true ninty9er about law and european now being law plus? Because they both have different course codes. And it doesn't say anything about law and european not being in existance anymore for 2008? Are they virtually the same thing?if I choose a language?

God dam this is confusing.

Oh and does anyone know how many places are in this new law plus course because it doesn't say on Qualifax.

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially bluedolphin!

Right so I emailed someone at the university and they are both running this year, law plus & law and european. But law and european will not be running in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tyson12

hey, just wondering does anyone ave any idea at all wot the points for law plus will be??? . . . i e-mailed the contact given (brien friel i think) about a week ago but no reply . . . also any more recomendations on wot electives i sud take (i'm trying to decide brtween psychology, sociology and maths)???

P.S: i know its my first post but im just feelin a bit lost as to whether or not to go for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Tyson12 wrote: »
    hey, just wondering does anyone ave any idea at all wot the points for law plus will be??? . . . i e-mailed the contact given (brien friel i think) about a week ago but no reply . . . also any more recomendations on wot electives i sud take (i'm trying to decide brtween psychology, sociology and maths)???

P.S: i know its my first post but im just feelin a bit lost as to whether or not to go for it!!!

I hear they'll be offering electives on how to use a keyboard properly and perhaps something on the basics of the English language. The penalty for failure of either of these electives I hear you ask, a severe caning (see here if you need an explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning).

On a slightly more serious note, you may get an idea of what the points will be from what the current points are for Law & European Studies. But CAO points are based on supply and demand so you'll probably have to wait until the points are published.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Points aren't relaibly predictable. If there was a huge drop in demand entry points could drop to low 300s

they will more than likely be within 20 points of last years points

Advertisement