Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for a complete Newbie!

Options
  • 21-06-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a total noob at website stuff, and plan to set up a website. I have a few questions (which I'm sure you'll all find stupid but anyway :P).

Can u buy a domain name from a company and then get a different company to "host" the site, or does it have to be the same company?

Can you sell products on the website in conjunction with Paypal, or would u be confined to do what the webhost allows? Would it cost much more?

Are their any good free programmes out there for designing your site? Or is there one already on my computer (Windows XP OS)?

Also, I'm wary of the companies I've been looking at who are webhosts and who sell domains? Can I be assured they're trustworthy and reliable? Or is it hit and miss? I'm looking for something cheap like...

Anyway thank you in advance for any replies, if ye've the patience!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

diddley wrote: »
    Can u buy a domain name from a company and then get a different company to "host" the site, or does it have to be the same company?

You can have two different companies. However if your new to web management you might want to go with the same company for simplicity. Otherwise, In your hosting account you can put in the name of the domain server, and it will hook it up.
    Can you sell products on the website in conjunction with Paypal, or would u be confined to do what the webhost allows? Would it cost much more?

I would imagine it depends on the software.
    Are their any good free programmes out there for designing your site? Or is there one already on my computer (Windows XP OS)?

Havent ever used a webpage maker (I hand code the html), so I couldnt advise either way.
    Also, I'm wary of the companies I've been looking at who are webhosts and who sell domains? Can I be assured they're trustworthy and reliable?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

yes you can ... I've a number of domains with Joker .. then I tell my webhosting company to setup the domain on their name servers and I point my domain at my webhosts name servers

Paypal have a lot of options on how you can do things ... you can accept money ... you can set up payment processing through them with them responding that payment has been received your website being able to update and so on

The industry standard seems to be Dreamweaver ... you can get a 30 day trial ... but if you're just starting don't be expecting miracles. (will cost you 300+ ??? I think for the full version at the end of your 30 day trial)

If you need a free one then http://kompozer.net/ would probably be the one to go with. Again don't be expecting miracles right away.
    Also, I'm wary of the companies I've been looking at who are webhosts and who sell domains? Can I be assured they're trustworthy and reliable? Or is it hit and miss? I'm looking for something cheap like...

Cheap is great ... but at the end of the day ... the service may also be .. "cheap". Hosting questions for the most part are not allowed on here.

I will say ... if your target market is in ireland ... go with an irish host ... if its in the US ... go with a US host.

Read reviews online for the hosts / domain resellers you're looking at

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,978 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was going to start a new thread but I think this one covers most of my issues except one. Can you buy a domain name straight off or is the only option these 9.95 a year deals. Is there anyway to buy a site outright that will be always mine and only have hosting costs as an expense??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Q2002 wrote: »
    I was going to start a new thread but I think this one covers most of my issues except one. Can you buy a domain name straight off or is the only option these 9.95 a year deals. Is there anyway to buy a site outright that will be always mine and only have hosting costs as an expense??

There is always an annual fee with domain names, .com is cheaper and easier to obtain than .ie, but .ie is preferable for anything in the Irish market.

For you 2nd question, yes. People charging a repeating fee for maintainence & support of a website are a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,978 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I did find a website that sold websites and ya paid a once off fee and ya had the name forever but typically I can't find it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement