Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies-what attributes of the opposite sex appeals to you

Options
  • 21-06-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was wondering are there basic things that all girls are attracted to in guys? or is more of an individual thing?I would like to know from girls what really does it for ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭liberation

Am I right with the following list, let me know what im missing, whats the most important from the list I am about to give

In good shape

well groomed

dresses well

playful cocky sense of humour but not too arogant

decent job/financially independent

confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I would go with the sense of humour - isnt afraid to slag me (within reason, dont take it too far!)

Looks, not hugly important to me! Personality is more of an attraction.

Independance - can have his life and I have mine..we are not a couple all the time..you go out with your friends and ill go out with mine, but we can still go out together iykwim

I also like the cocky but not arrogant thing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Honesty is the top of my list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

LadyE wrote: »
    I would go with the sense of humour - isnt afraid to slag me (within reason, dont take it too far!)

Looks, not hugly important to me! Personality is more of an attraction.

Independance - can have his life and I have mine..we are not a couple all the time..you go out with your friends and ill go out with mine, but we can still go out together

I also like the cocky but not arrogant thing too!

Same here!
    But if he takes more care of himself than me it wouldnt work!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Jemmy wrote: »
    Same here!
    But if he takes more care of himself than me it wouldnt work!:p

Damn right!!

I like guys to be thoughtful and affectionate too! Am a stickler for romance as well..not cheesy romance but romance.

But then again, Id class romance as getting me a bar of chocolate in the shop when I havent asked :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Good sense of humour, genine, loyal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Things that i like in a guy!

* Being nice to other people, bitchiness turns me right off someone

* Funny, isnt afraid to laugh at himself

* Has good manners!!

* Having fun which doesnt even getting wasted at the weekend

* Someone who listens to me and wont interupt!

* Confident but not too cocky either

I try not too fall for looks as i done in the past so a good personality is a must! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ladies look no further!

Funny
    Fun
    Smart
    Confident
    And only one previous owner!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LadyE wrote: »

I love this, you need to be able to have a bit of banter, although not in the company of his friends. Had some of that recently and it really got on my nerves.
    Funny and intelligent, can hold a decent conversation!
    Good shoes/style/hair in general.
    I like romance but no cheesey sh!te please. Actually makes me cringe :rolleyes:
    I need to have some musical connection with the person. I love listening to music and going to gigs, I'd like to be able to do that with them! We don't need to have twin playlists, just as long as he doesn't like crap music :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

tall, smart,somewhat well paid job, size 14 shoes, likes art and jewelery and classic films and musicals, and was once told i that i gave the best hugs in the world.
    And yet i'm still single.... Hmmm
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You know what always confuses me? The whole "sense of humour" thing.

Lots nad lots of girls go on about wanting a sense of humour in a guy. But one of my mates is the funniest guy I've ever met in my life, I mean he could well be the funniest guy in the world. Total laugh a minute. His name is Sean, and everyone just refers to him as "funny Sean".

He's also in good shape, he's not got the mentalness, and he's an absoloutely lovely guy. If he were a girl, I'd nail him :pac:

BUt he is ALWAYS single. And he hates being single. So much so that I often have to cheer him up by ringing him in the middle of the night and singing "All by myself" down the phone to him.

So, when he hears women saying they rate a sense of humour above anything else, he goes flipper.

He always says that if he was a miserable wanker, he'd get a lot more women.

I think he might be right.

Sorry, that anecdote adds nothing to the thread.

As you were :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tall, smart,somewhat well paid job, size 14 shoes, likes art and jewelery and classic films and musicals, and was once told i that i gave the best hugs in the world.
    And yet i'm still single.... Hmmm
    Posted via Mobile Device

anthony_353_061012.jpg
    I can guarentee he's tall and has probably size 14 shoes! (atleast)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Guys please dont turn this into another "how you doin' " thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well they have to be very intelligent, witty, kind, loyal, romantic, full lips, nice eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have a similar friend. Funny as fcuck and not bad looking. Couldn't get a girl for ages, I think his problem is...
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    he's an absoloutely lovely guy.

It's sad but true. Girls don't go for nice guys, initially. Also, maybe his humour comes across as insecurity? I don't know him at all but sometimes it can come across that way and his method of hitting on girls backfires (that is if he tries to at all)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tallaght01 wrote: »
    You know what always confuses me? The whole "sense of humour" thing.
    That's a conundrum alright. I think it's similar to women also saying they want "nice guys". It's possibly the difference in definition between the genders I reckon.

There are a number of types of blokes who are funny, which is not the same as sense of humour. One the funniest guys I know is a dour fúcker at the core of him. You can have the loud funny guy that's all fine and dandy for party entertainment but you wouldn't want that around all the time. There's the braying hooray henry chinless wonder funny guy whom one laughs at not with. Then there's the overly macho childish "funny" guy who thinks climbing lamp posts when drunk is a riot. All equally funny at times, but you could see why a woman may think them a bad bet.

IMHO I think, when women say "sense of humour" they mean more an ability to laugh at themselves and others without nastiness. An ability to react well to women's sometimes different emotional responses to things is also a big part of it(she goes batshít crazy in the male opinion but you laugh it off in a nice way).

Basically someone who is funny when required, easy going and emotionally stable tending towards the happy side of life. Men all too often see it as meaning someone doing Robin Williams impressions and overly funny guys are often socially compensating for a lack of something. That's a trait women will sniff out far quicker than men.

Then of course you get the blokes who think they're funny. One of the most unappealing of traits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Good shoes

determination and drive....i REALLY like this;)

wry sense of humour and generally genial manner; without trying too hard

a relative sense of style and pride in appearance(though i once had to scramble for mirror space in the mornings with an ex....that was taking it TOO far)

Relatively physically fit

has an active life and plenty of interests as i do

Generous; there is nothing more unappealing than a tight-ass meanie; i do pay my own way and wouldnt expect it any other way but there is nothing worse than say a guy who offers to buy you a drink and then moans about the price of it....he just shouldnt have offered in the first place cos the moaning takes the good out of it.

doesnt moan...moaning men are a menace

isn't judgemental

Doesn't take every past experience as a personal injustice.... river;bridge;get over it

doesnt expect you to be a domesticated little wifie

doesnt mercenarily size you up..... what does what I drive what i earn and the value of the property i own really have to do with me the person?

isnt selfish

Oh,and great eyes, eyes you can lose yourself in, and a nice smile.

And a certain je ne ce quois....

Don't ask for much do i!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Not looking for much are you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Good shoes

determination and drive....i REALLY like this;)

wry sense of humour and generally genial manner; without trying too hard

a relative sense of style and pride in appearance(though i once had to scramble for mirror space in the mornings with an ex....that was taking it TOO far)

Relatively physically fit

has an active life and plenty of interests as i do

Generous; there is nothing more unappealing than a tight-ass meanie; i do pay my own way and wouldnt expect it any other way but there is nothing worse than say a guy who offers to buy you a drink and then moans about the price of it....he just shouldnt have offered in the first place cos the moaning takes the good out of it.

doesnt moan...moaning men are a menace

isn't judgemental

Doesn't take every past experience as a personal injustice.... river;bridge;get over it

doesnt expect you to be a domesticated little wifie

doesnt mercenarily size you up..... what does what I drive what i earn and the value of the property i own really have to do with me the person?

isnt selfish

Oh,and great eyes, eyes you can lose yourself in, and a nice smile.

And a certain je ne ce quois....

Don't ask for much do i!!!:rolleyes:

You have to admire a lady who knows what she is looking for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

1. Funny, a bit of wit is good.
    2. Non smoker.
    3. Excellent personal hygiene.
    4. Capable of chatting without recourse to football or cars.
    5. Kind, considerate, intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Strong arms for the cuddlin'.

Jemmy wrote: »
    Not looking for much are you! :p

in a perfect world......sigh....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

There are men like that out there - you just have to find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Catmanuel

In a guy any of these would be nice, I don't expect them all:

1. Happy in his own skin

2. Able to have a bit of banter/slagging with. i.e Doesn't take me or him too seriously.

3. Broad taste in books and music and likes to travel, wants to get out and see the world.

4. Able to show a bit of sweetness here and there, it loses its effect if you're too sappy/overly-nice all the time.

5. The shallow part of me also appreciates a nice pair of arms/shoulders. Grrr! :D Also dark hair, bit of a beard, maybe glasses... but none of these things are essential!

CathyMoran wrote: »
    There are men like that out there - you just have to find them.

Must look harder then......every man i've met in the last year has been a disaster....:eek:

Much better on my own than entertaining the likes of them:rolleyes:

Sense of humour is my number 1.

Nice hair.

Tall.

Piercings = Not a neccesity but Yes Please.

I appreciate all kinds of traits, but the one thing the really gets to me is kindness.
    Someone who cares for and considers others out of a simple sense of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I like openness and when he has confidence in himself i.e. his feelings, his plans, his personal development etc..... Its nice to be with a man who knows who he is and doesnt feel the need to impress people. On the flip side, I like when he makes an effort with the people who are important to him / you e.g friends and family.

Honesty is a given and I like men who have an interest / passion in something. I like when they are chatty and when there is a good bit of fun / banter between the couple.

Well, I just like men fullstop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I dont have a physical type as such but I do like tattoo's and/ or facial hair on guys.
    It is a cliche but I do like a "nice guy", I dont think I have been attracted to a "bad boy" since I was a teenager.
    I like to have something in common with a guy- in my case liking to read, see movies, eat out etc
    I like a guy not afraid to hold hands in public.
    Because I am pretty shy, I like a guy who take the lead but not overpower in a social situation.
    Generosity and kindness are good.
    As are a nice smile and bum :)

Now, anyone know someone that ticks all those boxes?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Do wimminz like hairy chests or should I shave?! Haha =P

Advertisement