Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rookie questions

• 21-06-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

So Im a PC sorta gamer rather than a consoler, but looking at a mate of mine playing GTA4 on his xbox made me go nyom nyom and now im thinking of buying one but i need some solid advice, in particular:

do i need the extra space of the elite edition? Unless the xbox download market is much better than i expect i'll still be using my PC for downloading/multimedia etc so would the vanilla 20 gb version be okay for save games?

I dont own a TV so Im gonna use the xbox vga cable to hook it up to my 22 dell LCD, from what i hear this is pretty good for graphics, thoughts?

Lastly, I can get most xbox games on PC and i prefer the PC format tbh, however its the stuff that I miss out on like the condemned series and GTA4 (till autumn anyway) thats the clincher for me, what xbox games past and upcoming do yee recommend that arent available on PC?

Muchos gracias compadres

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

once you go xbox you'll find it hard to go back especially if your friends are on xbox's aswell!

20GB should be fine you wont be downloading movies off it if your already doing it on the PC

battlefield bad company!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

* Crackdown
    * The Darkness
    * Table Tennis by rockstar
    * Halo 3

There some 360 exclusives (Excl. GTA of course) that I liked not on pc, theres plenty other racing games, sports games etc aswell whatever your into,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

...okay.....I had to double check there to see if I had actually written that post...

I was sucked in to buying an Xbox there two days ago after watching my friend playin GTA4...and The prospect of Condemned closed the deal for me.

I got the 20gig version, perfect, I have it hooked up to my monitor,,,perfect

go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

just had a look at battlefield bad company...destructible environments..oh god yes

I think we have a sale, thanks lads :pac:

...okay.....I had to double check there to see if I had actually written that post...

I was sucked in to buying an Xbox there two days ago after watching my friend playin GTA4...and The prospect of Condemned closed the deal for me.

I got the 20gig version, perfect, I have it hooked up to my monitor,,,perfect

go for it

I really mean it, go for it. I really had to debate with myself over this cause latley Ive been spending quite a bit of mula on crap...see my sig.

And for some reason I tend to really dislike the Xbox name and franchise....almost as much as I hate macs, but really. its well worth it. I put it into perspective by realising the xbox and game and adapters come out to 333euro....I spent that much for my processor and that muxh again for my graphics card back when I got my PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I loved my PC games but its great going into a store, buying a game and KNOWING it will work. That was the big advantage for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Bambi wrote: »
    So Im a PC sorta gamer rather than a consoler, but looking at a mate of mine playing GTA4 on his xbox made me go nyom nyom and now im thinking of buying one but i need some solid advice, in particular:

do i need the extra space of the elite edition? Unless the xbox download market is much better than i expect i'll still be using my PC for downloading/multimedia etc so would the vanilla 20 gb version be okay for save games?

I dont own a TV so Im gonna use the xbox vga cable to hook it up to my 22 dell LCD, from what i hear this is pretty good for graphics, thoughts?

Lastly, I can get most xbox games on PC and i prefer the PC format tbh, however its the stuff that I miss out on like the condemned series and GTA4 (till autumn anyway) thats the clincher for me, what xbox games past and upcoming do yee recommend that arent available on PC?

Muchos gracias compadres

I'm also a PC convert and have to say that I prefer playing the xbox now. One thing that annoyed me at first was playing FPS games with controller instead of the mouse but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The vga cable is great and the graphics will look brilliant on your hi-def monitor, and if you have a line in on your PC's soundcard you can use your PC speakers. Oh and the 20gig drive is loads.

Go buy it and enjoy!! :D

he he bought one today, but made a rookie mistake..the vga adapter had RW or whatever audio connections, no good with me speakers etc unless i lug me old sound system out from the da's place.

i rooted out an old optical cable and a creative laptop soundcard in the hope of hooking it up through that but im missing the USB connection for the soundcard, so its GTA4 in total silence until tomorrow :pac:

cant believe the feckers havent put a headphone jack on these yokes

I agree, the lack of a headphone jack is just stupid. I hate when consoles MAKE you spend money on the extras like video adapters, audio jack adapters, plug and play kit for your controller. Although I am quite grateful that they havnt taken away the privilage of saving games onto your Hdd, I nearly expected them to make it so you had to buy a memory card aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

so what cable did you use to connect the xbox to the screen ? a vga cable ? you can't do hi-def with that can you, I was thinking of doing this myself with a ps3 but aparantly they use hdmi cables and my 24 inch dell monitor doesn't have hdmi, just component

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MooseJam wrote: »
    so what cable did you use to connect the xbox to the screen ? a vga cable ? you can't do hi-def with that can you, I was thinking of doing this myself with a ps3 but aparantly they use hdmi cables and my 24 inch dell monitor doesn't have hdmi, just component

VGA will transmit HD signals no problem, PCs been doing it for years :D Only thing is it will only do video, you will need a seperate cable to do the audio

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, the VGA cable has a pair of red + white audio cables like you'd connect to an amp, rather than a 3.5mm minijack that your PC speakers will take. I just used a cable i had lying around that fit to connect it to my speakers.

So i turn it on today and the fecking yoke goes and red rings on me ....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what, it's bust after one day lol what a piece of crap

weird, reseated everything to no effect but when i plugged it into another socket she came back up...im worried now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Was it A full red circle? If so it meant the system wasn't plugged in properly:pac:

nah like three quarters red..:confused:

ya, tfull circle is fine, jus means you have an ID-10-t problem, but three quaters is bad, you're xbox is one of the walking dead, (as in its only a matter of days maybe weeks till she gives up).

Thats some pain in the whole, big ass pain in the freekin whole. Bring it back to the shop and throw it at the salesperson is my advice.

Advertisement