Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of liquidating..

• 21-06-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys..

I currently hold shares in CRH, BP, Bank of Ireland and AIB.. I've lost over €3,000 in a little less than 12 months..

My father is of the opinion that I should sell everything and keep record of the loss.

He says I should do this then wait a while and then go loking for value.. and that if I make a profit in the future no matter how far away it is I can offset the losses I make this year on the new profit.. even if its not in the same year as the loss. Is this true.

Does anybdy else feel like selling everything or should I just wait and ride it out.(how long will the credit crunch last?:rolleyes:)

I'm 21 years of age..

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 33cl

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys..

I currently hold shares in CRH, BP, Bank of Ireland and AIB.. I've lost over €3,000 in a little less than 12 months..

My father is of the opinion that I should sell everything and keep record of the loss.

He says I should do this then wait a while and then go loking for value.. and that if I make a profit in the future no matter how far away it is I can offset the losses I make this year on the new profit.. even if its not in the same year as the loss. Is this true.

Does anybdy else feel like selling everything or should I just wait and ride it out.(how long will the credit crunch last?:rolleyes:)

I'm 21 years of age..

Thanks.

As far as I know, the BP share price has remained 'range bound' in the last few years. So depending on when you bought, you could have a slight profit or loss. If it's a profit, perhaps selling would be good now that oil price speculation is beginning to peter out, temporarily at least. As for AIB, BOI & CRH, well it's far too late in the day to sell surely, given that all 3 have lost 50% or more in the last year or so. Might as well ride out the storm, particularly with the banks, as I believe their massive profits of recent years will return. Can you wait another 2 years is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Id probably suggest similar regarding BOI and AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys..

He says I should do this then wait a while and then go loking for value..

Can you explain this comment, are you expecting markets to continue to fall sharply, and try and get back in at the bottom? Are you going to wait until markets are already recovering until you get back in? Were you looking at value when you first invested?

Your young, your stocks arent particularly over priced, ride it out.

Advertisement