Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get into adverts by passing websense

• 21-06-2008 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Im in work all week i do a week of night once a month in work and the network in the job is locked down but because i worked in the IT Dept last year i can access the web ,But it is protected by websense software i cant get on to boards by placing the word chat in after www. like this [noparse] www.chat.boards.ie [/noparse]but im wondering does anyone if there is a work around for adverts.ie there is no piont in say about proxy sites and so on they wont work ..Ant help here would be great thanks in advance lads

Dubdvd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What about trying the ip 89.234.66.107

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

that IP takes me to boards home page which doesnt require the "chat" being inserted but it wont get me into adverts thanks all the same tough anyone eles got any ideas ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

2 methods you can try

Many businesses and government institutions use a content filtering program such as Websense to keep employees from visiting certain websites while at work. These programs can either prohibit the use of certain websites or monitor all of the sites that employees do visit while in the office. Websense is designed to block websites in several categories, such as adult material, entertainment, drugs, games, sports, internet communication, peer-to-peer file sharing, gambling, instant messaging, health, illegal, shopping, job search, internet telephony, religion, special events, travel, violence, weapons, advertisements, freeware and software download, pay-to-surf, malicious websites, and many more.

The concept behind Websense is simple, whenever an employee attempts to visit a specific webpage; a request is generated and then passes through a firewall. Websense looks at this request and answers yes or no depending on if the requested URL is in the Websense database. In transparent mode, Websense counts on the fact that the firewall will forward the whole request in a single time. If the whole request is not transferred at one time, Websense will allow the packet to pass, as the packet doesn't look like a HTTP request. If you want to bypass Websense and browse any page, you can use several techniques to bypass Websense's filtering and authentication process.
    Bypassing Websense using a Web Proxy

One method used to bypass Websense is to use a web-based proxy site. With a proxy, Websense sees you browse to the web proxy -- not to the web site you are actually browsing to. You browse to the web proxy, and then the web proxy browses to the web site you want to visit. The reason that these web proxies are able to bypass Websense is the the 'S' in the HTTP address (https://) stands for secure connection and Websense does not block such secured connections. This is probably the simplest way to get around the Websense program as it takes little time and no one will wonder what you are up to.

To find a current web proxy, visit our proxy page.
    Bypassing Websense using HTTP Tunneling

You can also bypass Websense by using HTTP Tunneling. HTTP Tunneling programs work well to bypass Websense. Most programs also come with options, which help you to destroy the history of your Internet and Widows activity. What this means is that you can ensure comfort and security of your online activities and can spoof your web browser information, which helps to thwart hacking missions. One can download HTTP Tunneling software programs from the Internet quite easily and inexpensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

any atempt to access any proxy site will be blocked by websense on the grounds of " Proxy Avoidance " so even if you name a proxy tunneling site it wont let me in

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you have a broadband connection at home? If so you might be able to remote into your computer at home and use it's broadband connection for internet use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check your terms and conditions first
    some companies may consider this grounds for dismissal and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    many companies have firewalls / filters that are time dependent to kill off non-work related stuff at busy times, you could ask if access could be granted out of hours / break times

alternatively you could bring in your own laptop/pda and use your own 3G card, again check with IT as they can get upset with storage devices being brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I'd say your best best is to ask your admins to setup an exception for adverts? I've not used websense but I'm sure its straightforward to setup an exception for one site, without unblocking an entire category. Surely most admins would appreciate the need to access boards/adverts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There was the old trick of using the online translation tools like babelfish, google translator, etc, not sure if this still works. You would enter the site you want to translate and change the language from something to English. Something can be anything and the translator will return the original site as it can't translate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The CIT computers are plauged with Websense, there's 2 things we used do:

1. Go to https://www.kproxy.com (the s is important...) and work from there.
    2. Download a program called Hotspot Shield (link), run it in the background, this worked pretty well, but there is a monthly download allowance (i think it's like 10GB or something, which should be plenty...)

However, while these both worked in college, they may not where you work. You might also get in trouble from the man...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

google cache is worth looking at too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Modern versions of Websense know to block the Google cache version of anything its already blocking.

Advertisement