Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Andrei Arshavin appreciation thread

• 21-06-2008 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Hes deadly isnt he :D

Ive watched him at the Petrovsky Stadium for Zenit a few times and my Zenit jersey is signed by himself and has his name on the back of it (its in russian crylic so nobody will understand it when he does eventually leave :D)

hes a great player, getting on a bit now so has started to think about a move abroad although it will have to be to the right team. Hes from Petersburg, loves the city, started with Zenit 2 and moved up to the full team, is a hero and worshipped in Petersburg, is on 3million a year and now has champions lge footie with Zenit so it would have to be a big club he goes to.

Back in January Newcastle came looking for him and he said he'd be very intrested, i think he can set his aspirations a lot higher now though and Milan have come out and stated their intrest:

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=745279

Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton have also apprently been intrested and when liverpool signed Skertle back in january from Zenit they wouldnt meet the 8.5million valuation for Arshavin that Zenit were asking (this was in all the Russian papers). id say his value has at least doubled now though. Id love for him to go to Liverpool but its unrelaistic now i think.

Anyway hes a clip of him in action, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu4bcKTZ5PY&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

hey remember when el hadji diouf and salif diao had good tournaments and pool bought them. deadly players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

el rabitos wrote: »
    hey remember when el hadji diouf and salif diao had good tournaments and pool bought them. deadly players

One word....................Houllier :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

el rabitos wrote: »

in fairness Arshavin had a much better reputation than either of those going into this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Arshavin is the best player not playing in one of the top european lges and has been for quite a while, hes not just a one tournament wonder, sure did you watch him throughout the UEFA cup?

Anyway the thread is about how good he is, not about Houllier or Diouf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

He seems like an arrogant little... Cant stand players that celebrate by winding up opposition fans instead of celebrating with their own fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Anyway the thread is about how good he is, not about Houllier or Diouf

True, was just a reaction to the first response :o

Anywho, have been very impressed by him, when he gets the ball you just know he's gonna do somethin' brilliant. How he crossed that ball for the second goal.....excellent.
    Tis only his second game this tournament, was he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

DeadSkin wrote: »
    True, was just a reaction to the first response :o

Anywho, have been very impressed by him, when he gets the ball you just know he's gonna do somethin' brilliant. How he crossed that ball for the second goal.....excellent.
    Tis only his second game this tournament, was he injured?

He got sent off against Andorra in the last qualifying game, 2 match ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Absolutley incredible player. One of the few who has impressed me during this tournament, would love him at Liverpool playing in the hole behind Torres or out on the right cutting in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

1 more solid performance and hes the player of the Tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

chdpoker wrote: »
    1 more solid performance and hes the player of the Tournament

He already is player of the tournament imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

unkel wrote: »
    He already is player of the tournament imho.

Hes only played two games! Bit hasty. He has been exceptional and if Russia progress he may well be the player of the tournament.

If David Villa keeps scoring though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

If russia win the euros

they boy would have won both uefa cup and euro 2008

can he beat cr7 to player of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fantastic personal display tonight. Russia look a totally different team with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The secret weopon is out of the bag :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dear Frank,

Please sign Arshavin instead of the buck toothed, overweight, past it Brazilian.

Yours,

Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Once again Ronaldo has come up short. When his team needed him to pull things out of the fire he just didnt have the ability. Deco is still 10 times the player he is.

As for Arshavin, he showed what it means to approach what a best player in the world does. Scores, sets others up, vision, poise, intelligence. He has everything.

For family reasons I'm up for Italy, but if knocked out tonight I would love to see Russia winning it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If russia win the euros

they boy would have won both uefa cup and euro 2008

eh no,

Ronaldo is like the best player ever in the whole world and history of football who performs over and over and over again at the top of his game and is like totally absolutely amazing........

so i hear anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Once again Ronaldo has come up short. When his team needed him to pull things out of the fire he just didnt have the ability. Deco is still 10 times the player he is.

FFS. Anyone else bored of this garbage? Same could be said for a lot of players in this tournament. He's not solely responsible for Portugal. :rolleyes:

Arshavin looks class, but I'll reserve judgment until he does it on the big stage for a big club over a few years. Like Ronaldo I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

bohsman wrote: »
    He got sent off against Andorra in the last qualifying game, 2 match ban.

Yet another reason (if another was ever needed) that teams like Andorra shouldn't be allowed waste players/fans time by being included in qualifiers.

I'm sure Arshavin would have contributed more to world football in those 180 minutes than Andorra ever have done (or ever will do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hadn't seen much of him until the final group match. As George Hamilton said, other managers might have just left him at home because Russia could easily have been out by the time the third game came around. As the Dutch tired last night he really was running riot. I would love to know where he gets his energy from :).

For the second goal last night I thought he had actually somehow crossed it in directly. Anyway, he looks like a fantastic talent and he certainly deserves the chance to give one of the bigger European leagues a go.

• Advertisement

Predhead wrote: »
    FFS. Anyone else bored of this garbage? Same could be said for a lot of players in this tournament. He's not solely responsible for Portugal. :rolleyes:

Arshavin looks class, but I'll reserve judgment until he does it on the big stage for a big club over a few years. Like Ronaldo I guess.

You don't have to win something with a big club to be a great player. Arshavin is in the semi final of Euro 08 and has a Uefa cup winner's medal with Zenit St. Petersburg.

I'll tell you what I'm bored of, the hype and sycophantism that prevails in certain media. I hope he goes to Real and I'm sure he will go a long, long, way.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

He also has the best name in the world. Arse shaving.

lafortezza wrote: »
    He also has the best name in the world. Arse shaving.

Or Ars(e) Havin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Pigman II wrote: »
    Yet another reason (if another was ever needed) that teams like Andorra shouldn't be allowed waste players/fans time by being included in qualifiers.

I'm sure Arshavin would have contributed more to world football in those 180 minutes than Andorra ever have done (or ever will do).

In fairness Russia beat them 1-0. If Russia had drawn, England were through.

On and Arshavin is the player I hope(and believe) McGeady will become.

On and Arshavin is the player I hope(and believe) McGeady will become.

:eek: you must be having a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Russia beat them 1-0. If Russia had drawn, England were through.
    That just furthers my argument. If Russia had missed the finals it'd not be because they weren't a quality side, but more because of a freak result against a joke team that shouldn't have even been there to begin with (Andorra, not England btw).

:eek: you must be having a laugh!

No....why would I be having a laugh? I'm serious about this!!!!!!!!

At 18 Arshavin wasn't being clapped by Nesta during a Champions League game.

Arshavin had not played in the Champions League.

Tell me why couldn't he become like that?

I knew of Arshavin way before Russia played in the qualifiers, McGeady showed more promise at the same age.

How do you know who Nesta clapped and who he didn't clap.

Just because a player plays in the CL deosn't say that much. McGeady just happens to play in one of the worst leagues in Western Europe whose top team has an incredible buy into the CL.

You must be related to McGeady. I'm sorry he's just not THAT good. He didn't do too much to stop Ireland being beaten 5-2 by Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

At 18 Arshavin wasn't being clapped by Nesta during a Champions League game.
    Players spend a lot of time clapping during games. Overhit pass - clap, balloon a shot over the bar - clap, mis-hit a cross that hits a defender and goes for a throw or corner - clap, substitution - clap.

Nesta might also have been clapping sympathetically or sarcastically :p.

Now, McGeady's only 21 or 22 so he could potentially become a great player but right now he's playing in a lower quality league than Arshavin and he certainly hasn't done anywhere near as much internationally so the comparison is unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Why oh why the Newcastle board didn't get this deal done pre-euros is beyond me. FFS the lad even said he wanted to play for us, and KK has stated his desire to sign him.

for us, Arshavin will be Modric Mark II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

no he would be better than modric, modric can go missing ini games, Arshavin doesn't.

stick-dan wrote: »
    no he would be better than modric, modric can go missing ini games, Arshavin doesn't.

I meant as in being on the verge of signing him, only for someone to pip him from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

oh right lol, well i still rate him more than modric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

No offence to Newcastle, but he clearly deserves to be playing at one the big European clubs.

No offence to Newcastle, but he clearly deserves to be playing at one the big European clubs.

No offence taking, but it doesn't change the fact that at around January, there was a deal waiting to be done, and for whatever reason, someone at SJP didn't pull the trigger.

From yahoo.eurosport last Dec.
    Newcastle have been credited as being long-term admirers and Arshavin's signature would likely sate a St James' Park crowd that craves entertainment.

Arshavin concedes that he is flattered by talk of Newcastle's interest.

"Of course I would like to play in England," he told the Daily Mirror.

"In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

FFS the lad even said he wanted to play for us

Ah Charlie, did he really?
    Arshavin wrote:
    Of course I would like to play in England

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well it's a shame for Newcastle fans that they didn't act sooner.

Also, Arshavin price tag is probably going up rapidly with every game he plays in euro 2008, and as Dunphy mentioned last night, Zenit are owned by a rich Russian, so they may be somewhat reluctant to sell their most valuable asset. It'll be interesting to see who he goes to- my guess is AC Milan.

stick-dan wrote: »

Just as a matter of interest, how many games by both players are you judging that on?

Ah Charlie, did he really?

;)

How did I have a feeling you'd be lurking around this thread with your twopenths worth. :pac:

Just as a matter of interest, how many games by both players are you judging that on?

Ah, the classic my dick's bigger than your dick argument.

• Advertisement

How did I have a feeling you'd be lurking around this thread with your twopenths worth. :pac:

Just feel there's a whole lot of nonsense being printed supposedly quoting players re. moves to the PL. Slaven Bilic's comments re. Modric before Spurs emerged as surprise suitors suggested he thought a move to Chelsea would be perfect, then it was Newcastle then straight after he signed for us it was "oh a move to Spurs is perfect cos he'll get more games"

There's a flood of talented players will end up in the PL because it has a great reputation right now, and because the money is very good. I've just accepted that other than the top 4 that is what we have to offer these guys above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Arshavin is definitely better than Modric, I know because I have a Croatian friend who loves Zagreb and watches them week in week out. The thing with Modric is that he has still that top star potential due to his youth. Arshavin is now at his peak, so if he wants to join a top top club now is the time. Modric is just starting his professional career as he is only 22. It isn't really fair to compare them as they are both at different stages of their careers.

Ah, the classic my dick's bigger than your dick argument.

Not really charlie, I've seen so few games by either player to make any judgement call. I thought Modric looked very good vs Germany and at times vs the Turks, but Arshavin has been the difference between the Russia that lost 4-1 to Spain and the Russia that won 3-1 vs the Dutch.

I wouldn't be naive enough to draw conclusions about either player based on a total of 5 matches.

Not really charlie, I've seen so few games by either player to make any judgement call. I thought Modric looked very good vs Germany and at times vs the Turks, but Arshavin has been the difference between the Russia that lost 4-1 to Spain and the Russia that won 3-1 vs the Dutch.

I wouldn't be naive enough to draw conclusions about either player based on a total of 5 matches.

Ah I was only joshin ya man.

Until both men lace up in the one of the top leagues, and are playing Champions league football, it is impossible to say who the better player is. Both would appear to be very promising though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I could see him ending up at Fiorentina. I don't think he has the reputation for a Man Utd, Juve or Barca etc. but Fiorentina can offer him Champion's League football, something that Newcastle and Spurs can't

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I could see him ending up at Fiorentina. I don't think he has the reputation for a Man Utd, Juve or Barca etc. but Fiorentina can offer him Champion's League football, something that Newcastle and Spurs can't

That's true. But at the same time, I would imagine that agents are plumming fro their clients to join the EPL. In terms of wages and money, Serie A is a distant 3rd to the EPL and La Liga. Don't underestimate the power of someone chasing the Yankee dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

. In terms of wages and money, Serie A is a distant 3rd to the EPL and La Liga.

Wages are practically the same among the top clubs, and in fairness, if Arshavin wanted the money more than the top quality football, I'm sure the Russian billionare at Zenit would offer him 100,000+ to get him to stay. Fiorentina might not be able to afford him though, I get your point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Wages are practically the same among the top clubs, and in fairness, if Arshavin wanted the money more than the top quality football, I'm sure the Russian billionare at Zenit would offer him 100,000+ to get him to stay. Fiorentina might not be able to afford him though, I get your point

if anything the Italian clubs are in a better position to offer high wages because of their Individual TV deals. doesn't Ibrahimovic get paid more than all but one or two premier league players?

Roma should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wages are practically the same among the top clubs,

That may be true, but wages in the 2nd tier of clubs in England Spurs, CIty, Newcastle can all offer extremely high wages.
    Sure just 2 days ago AC Milan said that they couldn't compete with City's wage offering abilities. There's just so much money in the premiership these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement