Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Andrei Arshavin appreciation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Wages are practically the same among the top clubs, and in fairness, if Arshavin wanted the money more than the top quality football, I'm sure the Russian billionare at Zenit would offer him 100,000+ to get him to stay. Fiorentina might not be able to afford him though, I get your point

Wages may be the saem for the 'marquee' star player amongst the top clubs, the type of players who will recoup those wages through merchandising and image rights e.g. Kaka, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho.

However, wages for the second tier players, which I would class Arshavin amongst, is definitely more lucrative in the Premiership. There is no way that the likes of Alan Smith, Darren Bent, Dean Ashton, or Freddie Lunjberg would be earning £60,000+ in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PHB wrote: »
    That may be true, but wages in the 2nd tier of clubs in England Spurs, CIty, Newcastle can all offer extremely high wages.
    Sure just 2 days ago AC Milan said that they couldn't compete with City's wage offering abilities. There's just so much money in the premiership these days.

I know that, but I think a player of Arshavin's talents should be aiming for higher than City and Newcastle. Zenit have more money than those two so I doubt he's in a bad financial position ATM. IMO, he should be looking at clubs like Bayern, Lyon and Champion's League clubs from the top 3 leagues. Fiorentina fit the bill best IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It'll also depend on what kind of climate he wants to live in, perhaps the fact that England has so much money at the moment, and it has that horrible weather, he'll feel more at home there... :p

Well, I'd personally prefer one Arshavin to 800 bloody Hlebs... Please go away from Barca Hleb, keep you 'walk the ball' into the net attitude at the Emirates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pigman II wrote: »
    Yet another reason (if another was ever needed) that teams like Andorra shouldn't be allowed waste players/fans time by being included in qualifiers.

I'm sure Arshavin would have contributed more to world football in those 180 minutes than Andorra ever have done (or ever will do).

this may be my favourite post ever on boards.ie :D
    Roma should sign him.

you dont need him mate, your gonna have kewell and riise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

There is no way that the likes of Alan Smith, Darren Bent, Dean Ashton, or Freddie Lunjberg would be earning £60,000+ in Italy.

thats more to do with them being sh1te than italians not having money

Trippie wrote: »
    thats more to do with them being sh1te than italians not having money

I was waiting for someone to say something along these lines.

Whilst such is true, it's not the point i'm getting at. The very fact that such players can command such a high wage in the EPL, and that this is being sustained, illustrates the fact that the EPL is the cash cow that that everyone want's to milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

However, wages for the second tier players, which I would class Arshavin amongst, is definitely more lucrative in the Premiership. There is no way that the likes of Alan Smith, Darren Bent, Dean Ashton, or Freddie Lunjberg would be earning £60,000+ in Italy.

There is no way those players you mention should be earning £60,000 anywhere. Unless they were fishing for king crabs in Alaska. :D

There is no way those players you mention should be earning £60,000 anywhere. Unless they were fishing for king crabs in Alaska. :D

Again, agreed. But the point is, the EPL is so awash with cash, that mugs like these can rake in such insane amounts of money. Fergie made this point in his interview with Frost. He said that he as no problems with the likes of Ronaldo earning upwards of £120,000, but it freigthens him how many average players there are in the EPL earning massive money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Arshavin is on 3million euro a year, dunno how much that works out at a week, enough though.

Hes said he wants to leave and Zenit are prepared to let him go for the good of his career by the looks of things.

Did yis watch the video, the one where he creeps up from behind the goalkeeper is quality!!

• Advertisement

Arshavin is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL.

The chip was class. But that goal where he comes from behind the net was it a friendly? Nobody is at the match. Does Russia have poor attendance figures.

only jokin. the lad is class.

no Mc Geady though ;)

Arshavin=class. the first thing ever everyone in the soccer forum agrees on?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    only jokin. the lad is class.

no Mc Geady though ;)

Arshavin=class. the first thing ever everyone in the soccer forum agrees on?

Funny lad...:rolleyes::pac:

Seriously though I'm not saying McGeady is as good as Arshavin is at this moment. I'm not even certain that he can approach that level, but I am confident if he continues his progression he could reach that level by the time he is 26/27. Remember he's only 22. 5 years younger than Arshavin.

I think McGeady should stay at Celtic until a tournament like a world cup when I'm certain he will shine.

Watching Arshavin last night I found something weird. While Duff hit his peak at about 24...Arshavin is only coming into his now it seems. Duff should be looking for a massive move now, yet it appears his club career is over.

Funny lad...:rolleyes::pac:

Seriously though I'm not saying McGeady is as good as Arshavin is at this moment. I'm not even certain that he can approach that level, but I am confident if he continues his progression he could reach that level by the time he is 26/27. Remember he's only 22. 5 years younger than Arshavin.

I think McGeady should stay at Celtic until a tournament like a world cup when I'm certain he will shine.

Here we go again! ;)

I don't think McGeady will have much of a choice but to stay at Celtic. It's one of the few leagues and clubs he will excel in. You're also presuming Ireland get to the world cup.

Liverpool have had people look at Mc Geady a few times this season.

He will get a big move, maybe not this year though

• Advertisement

Here we go again! ;)

I don't think McGeady will have much of a choice but to stay at Celtic. It's one of the few leagues and clubs he will excel in. You're also presuming Ireland get to the world cup.

I bet you my life for your life that McGeady will move within 2 years.

Arsenal begged him to sign for them as a young lad.

There is things McGeady must do to become a star.
    1.Get stronger. He's too weak.
    2.Make better choices with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lafortezza wrote: »
    He also has the best name in the world. Arse shaving.

Well I like jerk-off zhirkov. Re: Arshavin, was he in the last world cup/euros? I think I remember him from them, I could be mistaking him for someone else though.

Russia didn't qualify for World Cup, but I can't actually remember him from Euro 2004.

LOL.

The chip was class. But that goal where he comes from behind the net was it a friendly? Nobody is at the match. Does Russia have poor attendance figures.

Zenit would pull in about 20,000 a game at pertovsky. The games cost 50euro to go to, whcih would be quite a lot to your average Zenit fan.
    That game was played behind closed doors, think it was against a moscow team i remember being told about it, think the Zenit fans were giving a lot of abuse to some black lad playing for Moscow so they had to play behind closed doors for a while.

I bet you my life for your life that McGeady will move within 2 years.

Arsenal begged him to sign for them as a young lad.

I bet your life for McGeady's life. Leave me out of it.

• Advertisement

I'm joking man. But do you honestly believe McGeady won't be playing with at least a top 10 Premiership Club someday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Modric and Arshavin - the new Berger and Poborsky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

bohsman wrote: »

Possibly wrt to Arshavin. I reckon Modric will make the grade however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Berbatov - the new Rebrov?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I always liked Patsy Berger, very underrated player (not at Villa obviously cause he's **** now).

I think both lads will do well wherever they go. I like Arshavin more than Modric though, just seems a bit stronger.

And Esteban I know it's been said before but you MUST be related to McGeady, right? The man love is almost on a Mr. Alan - Torres level but at least Torres is saxy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sylvinho... Conclusive proof there.

McGeady is obviously a talented player but his performances in an Irish shirt an international level are more indicative of his talent than those in a Celtic shirt in what is probably the 6th or 7th ranked league in Europe. He works hard and shows the odd glimpse of what he is capable of now and again but offers virtually no end product..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Isn't this the Arshavin thread? Or did somebody change the title of the SPL one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This thread needs livening up!

What's the big deal about Arshavin?

I mean he's played two games against two pretty poor defences (by club standards) and everyone's touting him as the next big thing.

He's 27 and plays for Zenit. What the hell is he doing there at the age of 27?

To be honest, I'd say he's very very unproven (UEFA cup doesn't count).

Two points if I may:

Milan Baros at Euro 2004 - crap player, great tournament
    Ronaldo at Euro 2008 - great player, crap tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gosplan wrote: »

I mean he's played two games against two pretty poor defences (by club standards) and everyone's touting him as the next big thing.

Two points if I may:

Why doesn't it count? :rolleyes:

And what's wrong with playing in Russia in a team capable of playing on the European stage?

Does he need to be playing on Sky Sports to be taken seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

:rolleyes:

Two points if I may:

Maybe because he has been one of the hottest properties in Europe all
    season and despite having the weight of Russias entire Euro hopes on his
    shoulders he still delivered some of the best individual performances seen in
    the competition.
    Plus there is the fact that he seems to have every attribute that a top top
    player needs to succeed in England or Spain.
    Oh and why the hell does the UEFA cup performances where he was just outstanding not count may i ask?
    Kaka will be playing in the UEFA cup next season, does that mean he is no longer any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

I am not one for buying into unrealistic player hype but this guy is different.

He has produced for his club all season and is a player most managers have on there list to view this tournament.

I personally think he is smashing, he has shown what he is a capable off at this tournament which really is at the highest level, his movement, runs, skill and eye for a pass cannot just appear for a tournament thats his ability.

he just needs to pick the right club and thats not as easy as you think, for me he will sign big this summer I think he is most suited to the Spanish league

although i'd love to see him at the gonners

He has agreed to go to R.K.S.F.C. Fact.

(R.K.S.F.C=Roy Keanes Sunderland Football Club)

There's nothing wrong with playing in Russia in a team capable of playing on the European stage?

But the UEFA cup isn't the champions league and performing against the Rangers defence isn't the same as performing against Inter/Real/Milan/Liverpool/Man U, etc.

Obviously he's a good player but 'how good' is very hard to judge IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

There's nothing wrong with playing in Russia in a team capable of playing on the European stage?

But the UEFA cup isn't the champions league and performing against the Rangers defence isn't the same as performing against Inter/Real/Milan/Liverpool/Man U, etc.

the UEFA cup isn't exactly the Johnstone's Paint Trophy either.

Arshavin has been talked about for years, this isn't just off the back of the two EUROs appearances. the reason people who watch the EPL know sweet f*ck all about him is more to do with he lingering cultural barriers of the cold war rather than any lack of ability on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Not if you have seen him before its not.
    Go educate yourself before doubting the guy, he is top top class.

I don't understand that. goslplan is refuting the claims on here that Arshavin is world class. He is not saying he's not a good player.

As my uncle from Russia said to me a while back about Arshavin, he has talent but he gives the ball away too much. That was a while back though, I presume his opinion is changed.

I think he is world class and he has been doing it for a few years. As Dunphy said it was a pleasure to watch him in action.

United should **** Ronaldo off to Madrid and sign him. He would work in their 3 man forward line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Im sure clubs have looked at him and decided not to go for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

what channel is the russian league on nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One note of worthy mention, the Russians arn't dealing with fatigue - one huge advantage IMO, something I think we saw in ET the other night.

Kildarered wrote: »
    Im sure clubs have looked at him and decided not to go for him

This is my point. if what Arshavin has done in the last two games is the norm for him...and allegedly has been since Nesta applauded him from a game at the tender age of 19...then why 8 years later is he in Russia?

I don't doubt that he's good but I don't see how playing like that all the time he hasn't been snapped up by Real, Barca, Utd etc.

Also didn't know how many people here tune into the Russian premier league :D

This is my point. if what Arshavin has done in the last two games is the norm for him...and allegedly has been since Nesta applauded him from a game at the tender age of 19...then why 8 years later is he in Russia?

I don't doubt that he's good but I don't see how playing like that all the time he hasn't been snapped up by Real, Barca, Utd etc.

It was Nesta who applauded McGeady.;)

I mentioned McGeady because I think he can develop into the sort of player Arshavin is.

This is my point. if what Arshavin has done in the last two games is the norm for him...

It's called hype mate. People on here claiming he is world class, blah blah, etc are fooling no one but themselves.

Well in fairness people can only judge him on what they have seen. His performance against Holland was magic.

It depends on how high you set the bar of a player being world class.

• Advertisement

It depends on how high you set the bar of a player being world class.

Pretty high, Xavi, Fabergas, Scholes, Gerrard, Ronaldo.

Arshavin does look like he could have the attributes to be a very good player, he has won the UEFA cup, which although made up of alot of poor teams is a tough competition to win.

Zenit had an advantage IMO, they basically played exclusively in that competition.

If Arshavin had 50+ more games under his belt this year like the vast majority of players in the Euros would he have his own thread?

I don't know, hope he comes to the prem league thou, so he has at least a chance of answering that question.

Well I hope some of the bigger clubs are taking the attitude of some here, i.e. "if he's that good, we would have scouted him years ago" because I would love them to dismiss him and give Newcastle a chance of signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Arshavin plays like he's taken a dose of E tabs, he's so nippy and unpredictable with the ball at his feet. Liverpool will be sorry they didn't meet that 8.5mil evalution!

looking forward to seeing him in action tonight.

Barca have made an enquiry, so i'll take it he wont be goign to the PL but to them unfortunatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

any chance the whole russian team or on drugs?

I know its horribly unlikely and cynical of me
    they are young and in the middle of their season so very fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement