Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Andrei Arshavin appreciation thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I thought Arshavin was class against England in the quals and expected loads of media hype... None.

I thought after Zenit won the UEFA cup the media would be all over him... Nope.

I thought Russia would be out by the time he was able to play, then he turns them around... BOOM the world explodes with Arshavin love.

I think he is great. Barca? Bad move i smell bench time. Hope im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

barca are welcome to him. hate signing players who are over hyped cos of international tounrnies like this. and i know what ye will say, he has been doin it for the past 8 years blah..if he was so good he would not be playing in russia at 27.

he'll be found out once he gets his 'big move'. you can quote me on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shares in Andrie Arshavin had to be suspended today as his market valuation fell through the floor. Dealers say he has been a classic example of a South Sea Bubble.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

any chance the whole russian team or on drugs?

I know its horribly unlikely and cynical of me
    they are young and in the middle of their season so very fit.

I know thats a bit tongue in cheek SC but i too was amazed at their energy levels up until tonight. Thats why i picked them over spain but they were off the pace tonight big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Was he playing tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

bohsman wrote: »
    Modric and Arshavin - the new Berger and Poborsky?

Well done. I think posts before that were doubting him, but that is actually good. At the time I was sort of lost when I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Isn't it a bit rash to be lauding such praise on a player we've never heard of before Euro 2008? This always happens during every major tournament. Remember after Euro 2000, loads of players were bought by Premiership teams and most of them turned out to be a huge waste of money (I'm looking at you Milan 'DIVING' Barros).

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness he was brilliant playing for Zenit all year in the Uefa cup and in Russias qualifiers for the Euros.

People now saying he aint that good:rolleyes:

how ****ing fickle are football fans?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kevster wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit rash to be lauding such praise on a player we've never heard of before Euro 2008? This always happens during every major tournament. Remember after Euro 2000, loads of players were bought by Premiership teams and most of them turned out to be a huge waste of money (I'm looking at you Milan 'DIVING' Barros).

Kevin

Liverpool fans soon found out what M. Baros meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Remember after Euro 2000, loads of players were bought by Premiership teams and most of them turned out to be a huge waste of money (I'm looking at you Milan 'DIVING' Barros).

Kevin
    Sorry to go off-topic but Baros didn't play in Euro 2000 and played with Banik Ostrava until at least 2001 so I don't know what you mean here. If you're talking about Euro 2004 then he was a Liverpool player for 2 years and wasn't sold to Aston Villa until a year later.

• Advertisement

Ah no he's a good player and I actually had my views before tonight's game. Don't you think that all of this hype surrounding a plyer just makes them seem better than they actually are though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kevin

Some may not have heard of him before but those who think outside the Sky Sports box know who he is and how good he is.

the way i see it was he disappeared on the biggest stage of his career so far and i remeber being a bit skeptical when I found out his age, as Dunphy alluded to tonight.

For Zenit he was excellent but Rangers arent Spain, though he did great against Bayern who have some good players. So we cannot judge him on tonight, anonymous and all as he was BUT tonight does raise some questions about him.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Some may not have heard of him before but those who think outside the Sky Sports box know who he is and how good he is.
    To be honest, I rarely watch Sky Sports games and actually keenly follow all leagues around the world. I just don't appear to have heard of this chap... ... ...and if there IS anyone out there that just watches Sky - yes - there knowledge will be very defficient!

Oh, I was referring to Euro 2004 - sorry. It was the tournament in which Baros was top-scorer.

Edit: Anyway, I'll leave ye all alone now. I have vented my anger at Baros. I just think he's a wanker because he has all of that talent and goes and wastes it by not applying himself 100% in games. He's a cheat too.

Kevin

Xavi6 wrote: »

The people are saying he's a great player, where did they watch him?

Its hear say Xavi. At most people would have seen him 10 times this season if they live here.

I think he's a good player, but people were saying he's world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The people are saying he's a great player, where did they watch him?

Its hear say Xavi. At most people would have seen him 10 times this season if they live here.

I think he's a good player, but people were saying he's world class.

Ah yes but you've seen McGeady probably a hundred times and think he's world class so it can work both ways :p

Yes but at least I know I'm talking nonsense. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

El Cucho, i may have to change my sig :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I like the chap but I think its too late for him to be that amazing, although he looks like he is 12, he is what 27 or something, which is old in football terms considering he is probably going to retire about 34. I wish him all the best and hope he gets his payoff and his dream move to Barca, but their are better younger options out there like Modric who is willing to go to a midtable club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

ye he was really disappointing last night, but all those people who say hes crap after watching him play one poor game and critisie those who thought he was brillaint based on the 2 appearences - a bit contradicitonary.

Anyway as ive said, ive watched over the last coupel of years and the guy is class, the reason he never moved to a mid table team is because he wont get the money he does in Russia, where he is a superstar and from the city and playing great football.

He'll make his move and he will be quality - once its the right move - watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bump

all right where's this lad going to go? it seems almost certain he's going to leave and frankly it seems only English clubs will be able to afford him.

now his agent has come out today and said
    An unnamed English club have failed with a £19million bid for Zenit St Petersburg playmaker Andrei Arshavin, according to the player's agent.

Arshavin is expected to leave Zenit this summer after an impressive showing for Russia at Euro 2008.

It has been claimed that Primera Liga giants Barcelona recently had a £12million offer rejected, with further reports suggesting the Russian champions would only consider selling for twice that amount.

Premier League sides Arsenal and Chelsea have also been linked with Arshavin; however an official approach from either side has yet to be confirmed.

Arshavin's agent, though, has claimed that an English side have failed with a £19million bid.

"Barcelona failed with a £12million bid for Andrei and now an English club have had a £19million offer rejected by Zenit," agent Dennis Lachter told the Daily Express.

"Zenit want £24million, so clubs who want to sign Andrei will have to get closer to that figure.

"I believe they will because there are clubs interested in Andrei who are trying to sell players first.

"The figure is not easy to reach, but the transfer activity is beginning to happen and I am optimistic he will join a big club.

"I don't know exactly when Andrei's future will be resolved, but we have until the end of August, so we are both fairly relaxed."

which seems kind of strange. he's already said he doesn't want to go to anyone but a club in the Champions League. But i think it's safe to say United aren't in for him, and neither are Liverpool. that leaves Arsenal and Chelsea. now i can't see the Gunners paying that amount of Money for the player, so i'm guessing this bid has come from Chelsea?

or then again is this nothing but agent talk trying to rekindle some interest in the player? i'm thinking the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I only heard so far Zenit denied Barca's offer,we'll see whats gonna happen next,although i think its obvious Roman will bring him to Chelski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I only heard so far Zenit denied Barca's offer,we'll see whats gonna happen next,although i think its obvious Roman will bring him to Chelski

Maybe so, but this one could be stopped by politics though, with Zenit owned by a competing/rival oligarch. Id say the price for Abromovich would be significantly higher then for anyone else.

I was reading some big article in newspapers about russian football and huge money spining around lately,that Arshavin has 200 000$ salary in Zenit and in article they were saying Zenit is club where money isnt problem coz they have as some more russian clubs big support from Gasprom and some other oligarchs.Thats why its kinda weird to me that theres chance some player of them leave the club at all.In article were also interviews with some russian players who were saying they can get now same much money as in western europe so they dont have need to go to play outside out of their country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I was reading some big article in newspapers about russian football and huge money spining around lately,that Arshavin has 200 000$ salary in Zenit and in article they were saying Zenit is club where money isnt problem coz they have as some more russian clubs big support from Gasprom and some other oligarchs.Thats why its kinda weird to me that theres chance some player of them leave the club at all.In article were also interviews with some russian players who were saying they can get now same much money as in western europe so they dont have need to go to play outside out of their country

Yeah, two massive backers in the company Gazprom and their owner/chairman Aleksandr Dyukov. Between them, they can basically do what they want. I suppose the player would want a move though, at 27, to show what he can do. Its probably good for Russian football too, to have their stars doing well in more mainstream leagues. Also, they're making damn sure they're not being held to ransom with a 24mill pound price tag. And that only if there isn't a bidding war! I have no doubt that if Arshavin does go, Zenit will be replacing him with quality.

Definitly,they will get good money for him,but the point is they look like they dont care and they want him to stay no matter how much money they can get

Arshavin has said he wants to leave and Hiddink has said he has given 7 great years to the club and he is prepared to let him go experience football outside of Russia.

Thats all agent talk above, its all a load of crap. Barca offered 12million, zenit are holding out for 19m, not 24m, thats total crap. 3 english clubs made enquires, Chelsea ARE NOT going to buy him, they realeased an official statement saying so. thats the sounds coming out of Petersburg anyway

I reckon this lad is going to go to Spurs, Villa or Newcastle, with Newcastle the msot likely despite the lack of European football.

Am praying that rafa takes him to liverpool though.

I think Liverpool would have too much strikers with him,i dont think its good idea he goes to some top class clubs like Barca or something,i think he wouldnt pass good,some middle class club would be better for him,like you mentioned Spurs,Villa,Newcstle and other european clubs like those

I think Liverpool would have too much strikers with him,i dont think its good idea he goes to some top class clubs like Barca or something,i think he wouldnt pass good,some middle class club would be better for him,like you mentioned Spurs,Villa,Newcstle and other european clubs like those

Liverpool are in the market for a striker, Rafa even said he may sign 2. If the Keane deal doesnt go through I reckon hes next on the list.
    Hes much better as a supporting striker, him feedign balls to Torres and Gerrard would make for an immense attack.

• Advertisement

Just reading Rafa said they give up trying to sign Villa but Keane is close to do it

Last news,Arsenal offered 19mil pounds for Arshavin

20mins ago news,After barca gave up on Arhavin and now want Hleb and Pavlichenko,Tottenham made 18mil pounds offer for him,Spurs would make some good job this summer bringing another great player like he is

Advertisement