Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW F01/F02 7 series

Options
  • 22-06-2008 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Official premiere isn't until July 7, but I've found a few photos of it:

0jE7Z2oq6PreVs_335x223.jpg
    [URL="javascript: openUrl('alphacube','Gro%C3%9Fansicht','/news/auto_-_produkte/hxcms_article_513280_14106.hbs?','600','550')"] ic_lupe_w.gifBild vergrößern[/URL]

More photos here

A big improvement on the old one in the looks department IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Much prefer the older one, although not many people will agree. (Cue the "vulgar" comments). Edit - actually, not that bad apart from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The front seems much better:

5hAK0_QjB6VhNg_450x300.jpg

Bringing back the classic BMW aggressive looks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not bad, but they are insane money new.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's the F10 5 series unkel!

0t25cOVajqiMNQ_450x300.jpg ic_readback_w.gif voriges Bild
    nächstes Bild ic_readon_w.gif
    Bild 5 von 14

Above is the front of the F01/F02 7 series.

The kidney grilles are too big for my liking, but otherwise a huge improvement.

The F10 5 series is a return to form in the looks department. Much more classic BMW. I always felt that had BMW not ruined the looks thanks to Bangle they would have sold even more cars.

EfficientDynamics will be standard, the LHD only 745d is being replaced by a straight 6 diesel of similar power, which hopefully will make it over to RHD this time, while the petrols will include the new 4.4 twin turbo V8 which will be called the 750i/Li, the twin turbo straight 6 making the 735i, while the new direct injection 3.0 with 272 bhp will be the entry level 730i; the existing V12 will be replaced by an all new twin turbo N74 V12 which presumably will be smaller than the current model's 6.0 litres, the current 750i's engine is rumoured to become the 740i for the new 7 series, though other rumours suggest that the 740i will be an NA version of the 750i's all new twin turbo V8, while a mild hybrid and auto start stop will see the light of day next year.

@MrPudding: you're absolutely right. Only a fool would buy one of those new. When you see how fast they depreciate they look like an absolute bargain relatively speaking after 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E92 wrote: »

Oops! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

E92 wrote:

Was thinking I saw that pic a good while back, then I thought I might have dreamt it or something.

Have to say I dont like the front of this new 7 series at all, tbh I think its terrible. It looks bloated. I hate all these bloated cars appearing on our roads, the focus is another one. They need a diet imo :D

Getting back to that 5 series, seems to be an improvement but I'm still loving the e39, I think its one of the nicest saloons every made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Looks absolutely fantastic, I was never a fan of the current model - a very poorly designed car, exterior-wise... This brings us back to proper BMW "taut" design!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

At last, a 7 series that isn't vulgar?

JHMEG wrote: »

lol, fair point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

caesar wrote: »
    Was thinking I saw that pic a good while back, then I thought I might have dreamt it or something.

Have to say I dont like the front of this new 7 series at all, tbh I think its terrible. It looks bloated. I hate all these bloated cars appearing on our roads, the focus is another one. They need a diet imo :D

Getting back to that 5 series, seems to be an improvement but I'm still loving the e39, I think its one of the nicest saloons every made.
    Funny you should say that, but this is the first BMW to start a trend for going on a diet. All future BMWs will be lighter in a bid to cut emissions, starting with this one:).

The current 7 series was actually a stunning car if you could get over the looks of it, and iDrive of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Ha ya It would be foolish of me to think that they added a load of weight to it..... its balloonish more than anything else.

Somehow I think I'll love in when I see it in the flesh.....in black of course, I know I wont be inside one anyway:p

How much bigger is it going to be than the current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

eoin_s wrote: »
    Much prefer the older one, although not many people will agree. (Cue the "vulgar" comments).

Well, that didn't take long. I don't think there was anything "vulgar" about the e38. pic

Well, that didn't take long. I don't think there was anything "vulgar" about the e38. pic

100k on any car could be considered vulgar, especially when the spare change from such a purchase could house/feed a homeless person for several days or <insert worthy objective here>.

The E38 is a very classy car, but can be viewed as both classy and vulgar in the same sentence and by the same person (imho),as all large executive cars can.

I don't ever recall seeing one new, but that model always reminded me of the (quite handsome) 5-series of the time, except it was stretched in the wrong places and the proportions all ruined as result.

What I meant by vulgar was not cost, it was ugliness!

E92 wrote: »

@MrPudding: you're absolutely right. Only a fool would buy one of those new. When you see how fast they depreciate they look like an absolute bargain relatively speaking after 4-5 years.
    I got a 55 plate 750 a couple of weeks ago that had dropped £55k in about 30 months. Bargain.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    I got a 55 plate 750 a couple of weeks ago that had dropped £55k in about 30 months. Bargain.

MrP
    They're about £62k new.. did it really drop that much?

They're about £62k new.. did it really drop that much?
    It is an i sport, so they start a bit higher, 66 or so. Then there are a few options, night vision, rear entertainment package, tv function, logic 7 hi fi, 20 inch wheels, adaptive head lights, auto boot lid, comfort access, auto dimming mirrors, soft close doors, privacy glass. That all kind of adds up....

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

MrPudding wrote: »
    It is an i sport, so they start a bit higher, 66 or so. Then there are a few options, night vision, rear entertainment package, tv function, logic 7 hi fi, 20 inch wheels, adaptive head lights, auto boot lid, comfort access, auto dimming mirrors, soft close doors, privacy glass. That all kind of adds up....

MrP

I'd say those options alone cost more than what you paid for it, sounds like an awesome machine!

Advertisement