Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexually Handicapped

Options
  • 22-06-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi everyone, this sounds strange but im a gay man who finds myself repulsed by other gay men. i cant stand their company, let me be clear im not overly christian and this is nothing to do with "having bad relationships" in the past. What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Therapy? Online dating?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

What happens when you meet men whom you don't know if they’re gay? Are you weary of all men until you can categorise them? Or is it certain men that you believe are gay because they are more expressive, outrageous, artistic or camp, who may not be gay anyway? I believe it may not be because you know or suppect a man is gay but that its certain people's behaviours or character traits that you associate with being gay that you are uncomfortable with.

You may subconsciously "be repulsed", as you said, by being gay yourself and your transferring these feelings toward other gay men? Maybe you can't accept yourself being gay?

I don't know.

I think you need to spend time thinking seriously of the exact things you don't like and try and think why these things bother you so much. I'd also recommend calling the Gay Switch Board (01) 8721055, they may be some support to you.

I wish you all the best

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

sedohre wrote: »

You may subconsciously "be repulsed", as you said, by being gay yourself

Although I'm no expert, I have to agree with that.

Definitely a counsellor or similar could be of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It sounds like a manifestation of internalised homophobia. Definitely talk to the switchboard and they may put you in touch with the Gay Men's Health Project who run several personal development courses which may help you deal with this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Most gay people enjoy the uniqueness of being different . . . that is until someone else is gay and they discover they're not so unique afterall, hence causing them to be a little repulsed by the entire thing/people. e.g. Daffyd Thomas from little britain :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

sedohre wrote: »
    You may subconsciously "be repulsed", as you said, by being gay yourself and your transferring these feelings toward other gay men? Maybe you can't accept yourself being gay?
    +1
    I completely agree. This is not uncommon I remember feeling very much the same when I was initially grappling with the truth when I was younger.

I was repulsed by the truth not so much the people but it’s easy to mistaken where the repulsion comes from.

I pose a question to you do you like yourself?

Advertisement