Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragus Piercing Warning!!!

Options
  • 22-06-2008 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi everyone

just a quick note to warn about the issues with Tragus piercings.

Basically i got my Tragus pierced with a captive bead ring about 3 months ago in a temple bar studio.
    I have had every kind of trouble with it.
    I got lumps bumps and all sort of nasty things including having my face swell fairly badly after a few days.

I knew a few bumps was to be expected but the other day i had a lump on the inside ear part of the piercing that was so large it touched the other side!!!
    I straight away went to a local studio and was told straight away that it needed to be taken out immedialy before serious damage was caused.

The problem was that the piercer that took care of me had put in a ring FAR to large for a new tragus piercing! It was WAY too thick!!!
    The ring he used was meant for an eyebrow piercing or similar!
    The guy who took it out was totally disgusted that the piercer was so stupid and was amazed i hadnt had majorly serious infections.

Now i have a sad ringless Tragus and im gutted it didnt work out because i loved the piercing.

Im not saying this to shame the piercing studio, im doing it just to say that even if u are doing everything right (sea salt soaks, tea tree oil etc) these things can still go wrong so ALWAYS trust your gut instinct and go see a piercer if u feel something isnt right!!

Hopefully after a few days my bump will be gone and i will see what shape my tragus is in, and hopefully get it redone along with my helix!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Bet I can guess which one you went to!

However, I see you're from Carlow. I can guess which local studio you went to aswell.... Be careful. If they are the studios I think they are, then neither have a good reputation. I had three piercings done by (I'm guessing the same guy you went to in Carlow) and two of them tore out. (fair enough, this happens sometimes) The third one was my tongue, which healed fine. It was only when he told me to bring back my big bar that I freaked out. I really bloody hope they don't reuse them!!! :eek:

Anyhooo, damn! I wanted to get my tragus done but that sounds very scary. I hope it's feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Amaranth wrote: »

The problem was that the piercer that took care of me had put in a ring FAR to large for a new tragus piercing! It was WAY too thick!!!
    The ring he used was meant for an eyebrow piercing or similar!
    The guy who took it out was totally disgusted that the piercer was so stupid and was amazed i hadnt had majorly serious infections.

The studio you went to if they said that is a load of b0ll0x A tragus should be pierced with a 1.6mmx8-10mm bcr an eyebrow should be pierced with a 1.3mm bar. An eyebrow is always done with a thin ring/bar to minimize the chance of rejection. From the sounds of it you just got a keloid/ didn't look after your piercing right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amaranth

i know what a keoloid looks like man and this was worse than a regular one.
    and yes i did look after it right.
    The amount of money i spent getting tea tree oil, sea salt, comomile tea and everything else proves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

tea tree oil would have just irritated it more :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I was about to mention about the tea tree oil not being a good idea.

Sea salt + warm water ftw. The oil could have contributed to the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Does anyone who has a tragus piercing (I have mine c. 3 months) have a build up of dry skin around it? I would suffer a little from dry scalp anyways, but it is becoming quite a chore cleaning it! I tried not cleaning it also (to see if the cleaning agent was causing it!)

gucci wrote: »
    to see if the cleaning agent was causing it!

What are you using to clean it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Amaranth wrote: »
    i know what a keoloid looks like man and this was worse than a regular one.
    and yes i did look after it right.
    The amount of money i spent getting tea tree oil, sea salt, comomile tea and everything else proves that.

How soon after it was pierced did it start to go bad?

What are you using to clean it?

Frick, i cant remember just right now, i think its an iodine based solution, its blue colour? (Its produced/branded by the Piercing shop where i got it done?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amaranth

ha guys im not a complete amateur lol

i know WELL the dangers of tea tree oil but i can put hand on heart and say it was THE only thing that workedQQ
    I was on SS soaks for months but to no avail. Tried camomile tea and all that ****.
    It started to go bad a few days after.
    I know the story with piercings which is why i never fretted too muc. It was just when the bumps kept returning that i went to get it checked out.

I have been without the piercing for 2 days now and the bump is essentially gone. cant believe how quick its shrunk and the hole still seems ok so hurrah!
    I might be able to put in a new piercing soon. if not ill get it redone.

So no more posts about how tea tree oil only made it worse cos i know it didnt.

• Advertisement

o.0
    we are a bunch of noobs then huh

joyously plays with both his well healed and lovely tragus piercings :pac:

Frick, i cant remember just right now, i think its an iodine based solution, its blue colour? (Its produced/branded by the Piercing shop where i got it done?)

Sorry, iodine based solution....what was i thinking...its a solution based on de-ionised water...does that help diagnosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

i never had a problem with mine, as for dry skin, i only got that by the top of my scaffold. just moisturize!!

Its tricky to moisturise inside my ear!! The problem is its building up on the inner part of my ear. Do you just use a regular moisturiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Wilburt wrote: »
    o.0
    we are a bunch of noobs then huh

joyously plays with both his well healed and lovely tragus piercings :pac:

Tut tut tut. You know, for a Moderator Wilburt, you can be a bit less than fair. The poster was looking for advice/help. Is this not what boards is? a community??

This area of boards is quite close to climbing up it's own ar$e sometimes.

Quattroste wrote: »
    Tut tut tut. You know, for a Moderator Wilburt, you can be a bit less than fair. The poster was looking for advice/help. Is this not what boards is? a community??

What's he meant to do when the advice offered is disregarded and laughed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

I don't suppose anyone else here is on the Stretched or Bodymods communities on livejournal then? Because they can be way meaner. However, their advice also tends to be slightly better. Honestly, it's the trade-off you get. There's only a certain amount of idiocy people can put up with and you get given a lot more rope here than elsewhere.

I didn't see that Damo, but then again we all see things differently. I just feel a Moderator should have more patience and tact.

Moderator - someone who presides over a forum or debate.

You're all great people, don't get me wrong, but newbies do get a hard time here sometimes.

Quattroste wrote: »

I didn't mean to offend, was more a playful joke.
    I wasn't always a moderator, and before I was made one I was always pretty active in this forum. I will be more caring from now on.

edit: If anyone has a problem with my moderating do PM me, I'm all ears.

Gheesh. Why do I feel like a big boring old fart now. :(

;)

• Advertisement

I should put my original comment in context...

I've had to get my right tragus pierced on 3 seperate ocassions... should have explained my joke a bit better. Anywho yeah, moving on, happy families and that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Its tricky to moisturise inside my ear!! The problem is its building up on the inner part of my ear. Do you just use a regular moisturiser?

Well "normal" moisturiser, yes, but if the area is still healing i'd recomend alcohol free moistureizers, like clinique... the best for your skin really.

Advertisement