Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show

Options
  • 22-06-2008 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Is from 9.30 to 11.30-ish. It's barely even late, let alone late late. 'Tis oftn-times one wonders from hence one gets their name from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm guessin' because when they first showed it that was considered late. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

yeah I agrre but on the weekday repeat its late:D bout 1 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I guess back in the day even before people had electricity, they were all up way past their bedtimes to watch a bit of Gay on the old moving picture box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It's only watched by old people, little old ladies with names like Mildred and Mavis (and other names that begin with the letter M) and wear hairnets and such things, so for them 9.30 is late cos they need to be up at eight in the morning to argue with the bus driver about why they can't get on the bus for free until after the commuter rush finishes.

Or it could have to do with them being very late on in life and it's a subconscious acknowledgement of them knowing they are on their way out of this world soon and will no longer be messing up the queues in supermarkets for the rest of us.

Man I fukking hate old people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The late late show should be called the sh!te sh!te Show. The rte censors mightn't like the name but at least it would be accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Why do RTE keep Pat Kenny as presenter of the late late? I can't of anyone who actually likes him. Mindboggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

creggy wrote: »
    Why do RTE keep Pat Kenny as presenter of the late late? I can't of anyone who actually likes him. Mindboggling.
    they're only paying him 900k per year in all fairness....:rolleyes:

OLd people like him because he's very mild

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OLd people like him because he's very mild

I think the word you're looking for is bland ...

I think the word you're looking for is bland ...

I think the word im lookin for is Sh*te tbh:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I remember once when I was a kid Gay Byrne rang up some old one who had won a car. Turns out her child had died in a car accident the day before or something like that. Anyone else remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

SDooM wrote: »
    I remember once when I was a kid Gay Byrne rang up some old one who had won a car. Turns out her child had died in a car accident the day before or something like that. Anyone else remember that?

I remember hearing the story ... I always thought it was an urban legend though :confused:

trout wrote: »
    I remember hearing the story ... I always thought it was an urban legend though :confused:

No it definitely happened, I remember seeing it and I also remember reading an article about it the next day in the papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I wonder if there's a youtube of it? How did he react?

takola wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a youtube of it? How did he react?

I can't quite remember but I recall him being very kind about it.

I'll have a look on youtube but tis from the pre net days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Uncle Gaybo =
    legend.jpg

Flat Pat =
    step07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can't quite remember but I recall him being very kind about it.
    I remember seeing this at the time, and he was far from kind.

Basically, there was a competition at the end of every Late Late where Gay Byrne would ring a random number, ask the person who answered a question, and if they got it right, they'd win the car.

On this particular night, he rang a woman who sounded very confused and worried when he rang. He asked her what was wrong and she said she had just buried her daughter that week.

Now I can't remember if he asked her the question, or whether she replied incorrectly or not, but basically the audience began to bray at Gay to give her the car.

....and guess what? He refused.

I guess he wasn't feeling all that charitable after his accountant ran off with all his millions and died a couple of years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrsJohnMurphy

The only thing Kenny has been squating on over the years is Gaybo's seat!

The show has gone to sh!te in recent years, 9 outta ten weeks nowadays, the main guest is someone else from RTE promoting their own programme!

They must be really hard up at RTE not being able to get some interesting / decent international guests that gotta keep draging people outta the canteen and using them instead!

Brutal!

MJM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd tap that owl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Pat Kennys' heckler should be the new host. He'd be great. Just imagine, some plank like Amanda Brunker on - ''Amanda, you are in insuffereable arsehole''. EVERY WEEK. I think it'd make people like me watch it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Pat kenny should die - he's just a sham of an uncle gaybo - neh comparison

When Pat took over, the show started to go downhill ... especially when he got the contact lenses in.

Even teh recent hoo-hah with his neighbours over plots of land failed to hold my attention. The man is devoid on any redeeming feature ... he is all flaw.

I would rather suck sick from a pig farmers sock before watching TLLS now.

When Pat took over the show sunk - it didnt start to go downhill

Nothing scarier than watching Joe 90 trying to get down with the kidz for the Toy show.

It just makes me think of the PEO da feel ya when I see Pat trying to chat up to the kidz.

Sad but true:(

This is Pat's complete and utter lack of ability to relate as a human being

True ... the toy show is now particularly cringe-worthy.

Pat ruined what was once the stuff of legends, pah!

True - Patrick Kenny - Legend Killer

Advertisement