Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my 3 year old son knocked out my network!

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭

where do i even begin with this one, lol...

ok so basically my three year old uses my old xp laptop to go on his favorite websites such as cbeeebies and so forth, and all was grand until tonight when i went to use the internet myself on my own vista laptop. now, both laptops are networked via my router and everything is pretty well locked down, but i usually keep an eye on him using real vnc.

so when i went to use the internet myself tonight, i couldnt bring up anything! unusual i thought, but then i couldn't even access my router's home page, even after a reset! i brought out a spare router, set it up, it said dsl was connected, but still i could only access the connection locally with an ethernet cable, and still no outgoing internet.

so i tested to see would my cellphone connect, yep, no problems, get to boards to post quick as i knew a data connection would eat credit, and BOY DID IT EAT CREDIT! €23 in 5mins, and i never even got to post because i ran outta credit! :eek:

so i decided to check my tcpip settings, as i had static addresses set up, and whaddya know, they were completely wrong!

i cant even begin to fathom how he managed it, and quite franky it freaks me out, but all i can speculate is that my son reverse vnc'ed into vista, accessed the router in network devices, changed the router address, then in vista changed the ip addresses, got kicked off vista vnc session, then went about changing the static address in xp...

then he happily went off to bed and left me til now trying to sort it all out!
    all i can do is laugh! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

lol little bugger.
    do ya need a hand still or?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lmao. I think the problem is you left a 3 year old alone with a laptop :D Nobody will ever know how they do what they do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

conceited wrote: »
    lol little bugger.
    do ya need a hand still or?

nah sound man, all sorted, set him up with a limited account, wouldnt mind but earlier on i had bought him a new wireless mouse cause he hadnt quite mastered the touchpad! lol :o

no way he's gettin that EEE-PC for xmas now! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

im sorry but thats just priceless.....i dont usually laugh in the mornings coz im too tired but it made me laugh :D that could be on of those visa or mastercard adds......your son knocking out your internet....priceless :p

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

A techie for the future ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ya big fat liar.:D
    You ****ed it up yourself and blamed the poor young lad.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

xsiborg wrote: »
    i cant even begin to fathom how he managed it, and quite franky it freaks me out, but all i can speculate is that my son reverse vnc'ed into vista, accessed the router in network devices, changed the router address, then in vista changed the ip addresses, got kicked off vista vnc session, then went about changing the static address in xp...

My 3 year old pissed on the eircom Netopia which knocked the network out fairly effectively I would contend . Amazingly it came back to life after I simply took a hairdryer to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

script kiddies

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Next time give him guest only access within Vista :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd be checking my CC statement, if I were you. You'd never know what he's ordered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement