Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The creative aspect.

Options
  • 22-06-2008 6:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'd like to discuss the creativity involved in music production. What inspires you to make a new piece of music? Do you guys constantly get ideas in your mind or do you find it difficult to create new music? Do you generally stick to a certain genre or do you like to create many different types of music? What is it that makes you tick??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I have found the money side of music has taken away from my creative side. Work has never been a problem for me luckily enough. There always seems to be sessions and gigs but i spend so much time at it its rare I get to really get creative. A lot of the work I do is pretty monotonous and then when something good comes in its hard to snap out of autopilot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

If I am meeting an artist I will ask questions like..

1. So you want to record a song, what would you like it to sound like? Can you give me an artist or album sound you are after? I try and get a feel for where there expectations lie.

2. When it comes to making my own music I like thinking of a concept and then playing the music to fit with the concept. As in I just did an album based on the secrets of space, nasa and aliens.. The concept help me create.

3. Writing singer/songwriter songs I often try to listen to what my true self is saying and then I put pen to paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cdutd

sei046 wrote: »
    I have found the money side of music has taken away from my creative side. Work has never been a problem for me luckily enough. There always seems to be sessions and gigs but i spend so much time at it its rare I get to really get creative. A lot of the work I do is pretty monotonous and then when something good comes in its hard to snap out of autopilot

So how do you feel about this? You are making a living out of playing and recording music and doing what you want to do, is this is satisfactory??

I feel very creative about producing music and i hope to get started soon, i want to do sound engineering when i get home , mainly with a view to creating my own music.But honestly i would feel lucky to be involved in any way in the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I do the same with other people.. (asking for samples of same material types to focus the mix/master)

For my own music i totally let go and create everything from the ground up from a little bit of inspiration (usually the inspiration is a feeling of the flow of the track) and unpack it while not steering into any genre (leaving me un-signable to any label lol) - i always take leaps of faith during the creation and write like a blind man... the music makes itself pretty much - i very rarely interefere with direction, but occasionally i'll be away from the project and visualise a concept to add or try out and i'll have a go.

It's all about listening and acting on your impulses & intuition once you have trained yourself in every possible area within music... you have to be able to twist things around progressions - so the real knowledge has to be there to be able to really affect the quality of the work... / also in the same breath letting some mistakes slide by so i don't become to anal with the creative process.

As with language, the more words you know the more expressive you can be in getting the point across.

My own music is pretty weird... i do make it with the intention to just flow like water through the listener and spring 'moments' of a different direction as a little treat... pretty much who i am in musical form.

dav nagle wrote: »
    If I am meeting an artist I will ask questions like..

1. So you want to record a song, what would you like it to sound like? Can you give me an artist or album sound you are after? I try and get a feel for where there expectations lie.

2. When it comes to making my own music I like thinking of a concept and then playing the music to fit with the concept. As in I just did an album based on the secrets of space, nasa and aliens.. The concept help me create.

3. Writing singer/songwriter songs I often try to listen to what my true self is saying and then I put pen to paper.

I really like your approach to your album , the track is very cool man, the video and the artwork for the album are right down my alley. Deserves its place in the what's hot spot!

I can't wait to put something together like what you've done.

Watch this space!!

• Advertisement

Neuro jazz, have you a website where i can listen to some of your music? Sounds very interesting!!

Your method sounds very creative indeed, i like the the process of being away from the project when idea's spring to mind. It's getting those ideas to life where you need the knowledge and experience which i want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

www.binary-mastering.com has a stream on the site... most current material and collabs get put there :)

cdutd wrote: »
    I really like your approach to your album , the track is very cool man, the video and the artwork for the album are right down my alley. Deserves its place in the what's hot spot!

I can't wait to put something together like what you've done.

Watch this space!!

Thanks man, really appreciate that allot. When you get back if you need anything, just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

cdutd wrote: »
    I'd like to discuss the creativity involved in music production. What inspires you to make a new piece of music? Do you guys constantly get ideas in your mind or do you find it difficult to create new music? Do you generally stick to a certain genre or do you like to create many different types of music? What is it that makes you tick??:confused:

I can't believe I spent the last 20 minutes eulogising on the creative aspects of producing and music creation and lost the bleedin' lot when my 'puter logged out of the site.
    Heads will roll!! FROBISHER!!!!!:D

studiorat wrote: »
    I can't believe I spent the last 20 minutes eulogising on the creative aspects of producing and music creation and lost the bleedin' lot when my 'puter logged out of the site.
    Heads will roll!! FROBISHER!!!!!:D

**** buzz :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement