Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new bike

Options
  • 22-06-2008 6:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey

So I have a general leisure/commuter bike right now. I bought it a few years ago, but I think it's too small for me. I'm thinking of trying out a road bike. But I have no idea about where to look, what to look for, what's important etc.

Where are some good places to shop/look around?

And what prices should I be expecting? A better question... how cheap is too cheap and not worth it? Can I get anything decent for 400 euro? Everything I've seen looks so expensive!

Looking for something with flat handlebars and that's about all I know.

Based in Dublin. Any advise/help etc. is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd suggest lookin at the 500-600 euro range. A good, solid bike is the Giant FCR 3 at 559 in cyclesuperstore in Dublin, and they have the LaPierre RCR 100 at 475 which is also a good deal -LaPierre may not be the most well known brand, but they do good bikes, and even supply a ProTour team, so they aren't rubbish!

You may find the Giant cheaper online, check the wiki (linked at the top of the forum) for good places to shop online. -for example the Focus Arriba is 505 on wiggle.co.uk, and as good a spec if not better than the two mentioned above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bumbley

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at a few bikes, those 2 you mentioned are two I'm really thinking of going for.

What would be the difference between say... the Giant FCR 3 and the FCR 2?

And also between the LaPierre RCR 100 and 300?

Mostly out of curiosity.

And between the two of those - what would most people go for?

Price wise I guess I am going to have to spend a little more. Which means waiting longer but I guess it's worth it.

Anything else anyone thinks I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

bumbley wrote: »

And also between the LaPierre RCR 100 and 300?

THe differences between models would mostly be in the quality of the parts - not that the lower models have bad components just not the slightly better ones on the next model up.

A key difference will be the gear ratios. RCR100 has a 8 speed Shimano HG30 11-30 tooth cassette on the back as opposed to the 9 speed HG50 13-25 on the RCR300. The RCR300 also has bigger crankset cogs 30/39/50 compared with the RCR100 at 28/38/48.

I have the RCR100 and love it to bits but the gear ratios do go in quite large jumps in the mid section and I don't really use the biggest cogs so I'm thinking of changing the cassette to something like a HG50 12-25. This mod will be less than €20 so a lot less than the price difference between the bikes and for me it's the only issue.

As you go up the models then you'll get a, lighter bike, more responsive ride and better gear changes but seeing as this is the best bike I've ever owned then it just feels great to me.

A friend who invested in a €3000 racer recently told my that it feels like cheating because it moves so easily while I was thinking the same thing about mine. I suppose it's a question of where you're coming from, how much you're going to use it and how much you want to or can spend. Also factor in the cost of any other kit you want. Lock, mudguards, pedals and SPD shoes have set me back another €160 on top of the main price.

I've also just ordered shorts from Wiggle for the longer rides. An hour in the saddle and you'll need the padding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

bumbley wrote: »
    Was looking into these bikes myself. I think the main difference is that the FCR 2 has carbon forks, which are supposed to improve comfort(I think. Also look at the FCR 2.5, which is priced between the 2 but also has carbon forks.

If you are going for any of them look at McConveys prices. They are based in Belfast. You'll save yourself some decent money (110+ on the FCR3, 120 on the FCR2.5, 140 on the FCR2 (all compared with CSS)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hmmm I'm asking myself a similar question - I'm back home for the summer now for university and doing my 10 miles in and out of work every day. Its all downhill on the way up, but seriously hilly on the way back up! I'll be coming home at weekends when university starts again and am thinking of bringing my Trek 7.5 down with me to the city and then getting a bike with drops to leave at home - I previously had drops and didn't feel comfortable with them in the city. The LBS has a trek 1000 for the equivlent of 500 euro in my size, I'm giving serious consideration to buying it. What do you reckon lads - good price for a Trek 1000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it is new, that is an excellent price. It's last year's model (the 1000 was discontinued in 2007) but it arguably had better spec than the new entry-level Trek for 2008, the 1.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

blorg wrote: »
    If it is new, that is an excellent price. It's last year's model (the 1000 was discontinued in 2007) but it arguably had better spec than the new entry-level Trek for 2008, the 1.2.

Yup, its brand spanking new think I'll go in and put a deposit down on it if it hasn't disappeared. Damn my employers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

got my girlfriend a 2007 trek 1000 for 500 euro. she's very pleased with it so far. it had been upgraded to a 105 ayt the front and got new cables so did well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bumbley

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm leaning towards the FCR 3. Unless anyone convinces me the 2.5 is worth the extra money... (anyone??)

I will have a look at buying from McConveys. I was going to buy from Tallaght as I know they will measure you up and get you the right size bike and make whatever adjustments for you... which I really wanted. Any other way I can do this if I buy from McConveys or elsewhere?

It's not hard to put the bike together yourself is it? If it's shipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Go with the carbon fork of the 2.5, it is quite a bit more comfortable. I didn't like the FCR3, but loved the FCR2, despite the 200euro price difference. Found the ride of the FCR3 to be harsh, just on normal road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I got an RCR 500 from Cycle Superstore. It's probably a bit out of your price range but I can't fault the service in tallaght.
    I was measured up (not too hard I suppose - biggest frame it comes in) and left delighted with my bike. They gave me a 6 week tune up (fairly standard in any LBS), When I went back later when there was a creaking coming from the bottom bracket, they took off the cranks and tightened the cups and replaced the stock pedals just in case it was them - all free. I then took it in for a full service after 9 months and they gave me that free as it was my first service (they did say the first service is usually within first 6 months, but they let me off).

All in all very friendly and professional, that kind of sevice is worth a few extra quid if you ask me.

Advertisement