Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing at the Dealer

Options
  • 22-06-2008 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

So I was wondering how much a car dealer in Dublin charges for a service/NCT service? I'm going to assume there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the car that would require a lot of work. And the work would involve checking the stuff that is tested during the NCT, along with changing the oil, oil filter, checking brakes etc.

I don't know any independant mechanics or anything in Dublin which is why I'd probably go to the dealers garage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Very much depends on the car - expect in the region of E400 from main dealer and maybe 40% less from an independent garage ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Jeez, 400 euro? I think it's much cheaper for me to just go to my local mechanic in the north then and get him to give it a MOT service instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Very much depends on the car - expect in the region of E400 from main dealer and maybe 40% less from an independent garage ..

I paid under €150 last time out (March 2008). Main dealer. The cost varies enormously brand to brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I paid under €150. Main dealer. The cost varies enormously brand to brand.

And also varies between models & also the work done.

I see. I would be going to a Nissan dealer as that's what I'm driving at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I'd chance ringing the garge you intend to go to, and ask a basic price for what you want done!
    Easist thing as they would be able to tell you a full service min cost would be???

I recently rand Sandyford Mazda for a min full service cost and they said €370.
    Carlow Mazda was €285, so ring around a garage that would suit you!

In the end I just went to my local mechanic in the north. He gave it a service (changed the oil, replaced the oil and air filters, cleaned and adjusted the brakes, checked the lights, changed the plugs and it came to £75 sterling which I think is reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

How did it compare to the Dublin dealers you rang?

To be honest with you, in the end I didn't bother ringing any dealers in Dublin. I'm in the north at the moment and the guy I go to literally lives less than half a mile from where I am. He also works at the dealer where I bought the car originally and he has done the servicing work on the car since I bought it so it usually works out well.

I'd be surprised if I could get the work done cheaper in Dublin, even factoring in the half tank of petrol required to drive to here and back to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair 'nuff. Cheap and convenient, can't lose! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

My suggestion is to run it through the nct as it is. Check the tyre pressure lights etc and then see how you go. My parents 97 Corolla has not failed yet with 100k on the clock .Fix whats needed after the nct for the retest. Cheapest way to go.

Advertisement