Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memorable feuds

• 22-06-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

With Shawn Michaels in my opinion being the only wrestler to consistently have top feuds since his return(besides the Vince loves cocks crap) Anyone like to mention personal favourite good feuds. Jake Roberts/Savage saturday nights main event as a 6 year old tought it was legit with te Jake(I'll smash that..)at the curtain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Shaneomac wrote: »
    With Shawn Michaels in my opinion being the only wrestler to consistently have top feuds since his return(besides the Vince loves cocks crap) Anyone like to mention personal favourite good feuds. Jake Roberts/Savage saturday nights main event as a 6 year old tought it was legit with te Jake(I'll smash that..)at the curtain.

Jake was behind the curtin ready to smack whoever came through the curtain first, be it Savage or Liz. It was done very well, sadly, that was the death of SNME as we knew it. Once NBC let it go and FOX took it, it was dead. SNME lasted 2 episodes on FOX and wouldn't be seen again until 2006.

SNME had some great blowoffs to feuds. Rockers vs Arn & Tully was a great one. Hogan v Savage being another, Jake v Rude over Jake's wife was another.

I could go on forever.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hogan V Piper. I remember Rick Martel V Jake Roberts leading to the match in WrestleMania VII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Really enjoyed the ongoing Jericho vs. Stephanie ongoing feud. The reason Jericho went over so big was Stephanie.

Also loved the Hardyz, Dudleys and Edge and Christian feuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Anything to do with stealing someones wife/girlfriend always added real intensity. The Ric Flair/Savage fake pictures was also good or nearly any Naitch feud had an air of reality to it.

Ruu wrote: »
    I remember Rick Martel V Jake Roberts leading to the match in WrestleMania VII.

The feud was awesome indeed, especially at Survivor Series 90 when Jake was against all four of the opposing team. But that wrestlemania VII match was pretty bleugh!

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The feud was awesome indeed, especially at Survivor Series 90 when Jake was against all four of the opposing team. But that wrestlemania VII match was pretty bleugh!

VR!
    Has there ever been a blindfold match that wasn't ****e!?

I don't think there were many blindfold matches, period.
    Of course, HUSTLE would probably make an entire PPV full of them ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't think there were many blindfold matches, period.
    Of course, HUSTLE would probably make an entire PPV full of them ;)

VR!
    Na that ****'s way too run of the mill for HUSTLE! They'd probably book a reverse naked blindfols match wherre the object of the match is to cover your opponent's special plac with the blindfold. Scary thing is I'm only half joking.:eek:

IIRC wasn't there a blindfold match on RAW when Bischoff was the GM. It was the result of the RAW roulette and pitted HHH against D'Lo Brown, though I could be mistaken on the D'Lo bit. It was predictably awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

one i can remember from childhood when i was the perfect fan (hate bad guys, love good guys) was the feud with ultimate warrior and pap shango when he made him puke up black blood :o

VR!

Yep, the mania match was a flop. :/ I don't think it lasted more than 10 minutes. *sprays cologne*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Jake was behind the curtin ready to smack whoever came through the curtain first, be it Savage or Liz. It was done very well, sadly, that was the death of SNME as we knew it. Once NBC let it go and FOX took it, it was dead. SNME lasted 2 episodes on FOX and wouldn't be seen again until 2006.

VR!

I remember wondering at the time why the name changed from SNME to just “The Main Event”, and I guess the change of channel in the states was the reason?
    But you’re right, it did deteriate, and not least because they got rid of the old theme tune ("Obsession" by Animotion, it was used on Fashion TV as well at the time) that was a great tune.
    I remember hoping they’d use it for SNME’s return in ’06, but that was wishful thinking given WWE’s current taste for drab US rock groups.

That night with Jake behind the curtain was also the start of his feud with Undertaker (which was his last feud of his original run with the WWE) and also ‘taker’s first face turn if I remember correctly

Most of the memorable feuds for me all seem to come to mind from that late 80’s / early 90’s period, apart from I guess Bret/HBK (More of an ongoing war than a feud!) and Austin’s feuds with Vince and Rock respectively.

Two classics that spring to mind are Savage / Steamboat (Maybe it was because I was so young but I remember being so horrified by that double axe handle onto the Dragon’s throat on that railing that made him swallow his tongue, and his revenge at WM3 was sweet indeed, not to mention such a great actual match as well)

And also Hogan/Sid – I remember this as possibly being the first time I rooted for the bad guy, as I was so disgusted, along with Sid and everyone else I’m sure, at Hogan getting the nod for the title shot at WM8 (Which ending up going to Savage). Unfortunately the match itself between Hogan and Sid was pretty crap, apart from Warrior’s run in at the end, but I remember some of the build up - Sid walking out of a tag match with Hogan on SNME, attacking his buddy Brutus on the barber shop and placing a Hulkamania bandana on a jobber, placing the jobber on a trolley / stretcher and sending him flyin down the entrance way – hilarious stuff. I just remember Sid making it all look very personal and made the feud worth while – maybe because his point of view that Hogan was always getting the limelight was absolutely true at that time.
    I guess a lot of Hogan’s fueds were memorable, not just because he was the top draw for so long, but also because a lot of his opponents made their hatred for him look real – like Savage and Heenan (Who probably had the longest running feud with Hogan with his various family members)

D-FENS wrote: »
    I remember wondering at the time why the name changed from SNME to just “The Main Event”, and I guess the change of channel in the states was the reason?

It didn't. They were the same show. What happened was, usually SNME were taped about a week earlier and then aired on the Saturday. Sometimes they didn't get the Saturday slot and ended up being shown on the friday. The first three were actually shown live. Being feb 88, feb 89 and feb 90. They changed channel in 1992, and it was still called Saturday Nights Main Event, from 84-91, it was on NBC, and both parties made a lot of money (hence McMahons buddying relationship with Dick Ebersol), it lasted 2 episiodes on FOX in 1992.
    But you’re right, it did deteriate, and not least because they got rid of the old theme tune ("Obsession" by Animotion, it was used on Fashion TV as well at the time) that was a great tune.
    I remember hoping they’d use it for SNME’s return in ’06, but that was wishful thinking given WWE’s current taste for drab US rock groups.

I actually preferred the 88-91 theme that they used. The horrible thing they had for the last two episodes of FOX was bloody dire.
    SNME didn't have the same effect for obvious reasons. On RAW and SD, every match is a main event anyway, as opposed to superstar vs jobber. Thats what made SNME so special. It was something to tide you over between Wrestlemania and Summerslam, and in between other PPVs. Once RAW got rid of the jobbers, that was the end of that.
    That night with Jake behind the curtain was also the start of his feud with Undertaker (which was his last feud of his original run with the WWE) and also ‘taker’s first face turn if I remember correctly

Yep, Jake would later hold up Vince at Wrestlemania and threaten to not go out unless he got guaranteed release of his contract. He got the release, but didn't quite get the deal in WCW he'd hoped for. Poetic Justice really. I still remember Jake slamming Undertakers hand into the casket and thinking "ow, that's gotta hurt!"
    Two classics that spring to mind are Savage / Steamboat (Maybe it was because I was so young but I remember being so horrified by that double axe handle onto the Dragon’s throat on that railing that made him swallow his tongue, and his revenge at WM3 was sweet indeed, not to mention such a great actual match as well)

Screw the rail, the bell to the throat was the best part of that! :D
    And also Hogan/Sid – I remember this as possibly being the first time I rooted for the bad guy, as I was so disgusted, along with Sid and everyone else I’m sure, at Hogan getting the nod for the title shot at WM8 (Which ending up going to Savage). Unfortunately the match itself between Hogan and Sid was pretty crap, apart from Warrior’s run in at the end, but I remember some of the build up - Sid walking out of a tag match with Hogan on SNME, attacking his buddy Brutus on the barber shop and placing a Hulkamania bandana on a jobber, placing the jobber on a trolley / stretcher and sending him flyin down the entrance way – hilarious stuff. I just remember Sid making it all look very personal and made the feud worth while – maybe because his point of view that Hogan was always getting the limelight was absolutely true at that time.

The problem for that (and the Savage/Flair) match, was that they made the match and then added the angle afterwards. From what i remember, the match was meant to be Hogan v Flair, with plans for adding Savage v Jake later on in. But Hogan didn't want to job to Flair, Flair didn't want to job to Hogan as he was planning on bailing for a few months to shoot Mr Nanny. And on top of that, Hogan v Flair gained no interest in house shows for the guts of two months leading up to it, so it was scrapped, and with weeks to go, WWE didn't know how it was going to pan out. WWE did a great job with Savage v Flair when Hogan wasn't going to work out. Jake wasn't happy as his office position he'd went for was given to someone else and his program with Savage with scrapped, hence why it ended at SNME.

The Hogan feud was alright for what it was, but the end of that Mania match was botched on so many levels.
    I guess a lot of Hogan’s fueds were memorable, not just because he was the top draw for so long, but also because a lot of his opponents made their hatred for him look real – like Savage and Heenan (Who probably had the longest running feud with Hogan with his various family members)

The feud Hogan had with Bossman was decent enough as well, especially that cage match. Until they had Zeus come in and stink the whole place up.

Worst part of that was WCW would make the same mistake years later, with Bischoff bringing him in as Z-Gangsta.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Big Boss Man V The Mountie
    Undertaker V Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Bret and Owen was one of my favourites. Great slow buildup to Owen's heel turn.

I had a mate tape Survivor Series 1993 because his Dad owned a pub and we didn't have Sky at the time. I remember the Hart Family match (Bruce, Keith, Owen and Bret (with Stu at ringside) v Shawn Michaels and a bunch of others in masks I think. One memory is Bobby Heenan ripping the piss constantly out of Stu Hart every time the camera would zoom in to show him at ringside. "Did you hear Stu?!?! He called Bret a bum!" I think that was the start of Bret v Owen who was upset at his elimination, of course I didn't see wrestling for a while after that with no Sky.

Ruu wrote: »
    I had a mate tape Survivor Series 1993 because his Dad owned a pub and we didn't have Sky at the time. I remember the Hart Family match (Bruce, Keith, Owen and Bret (with Stu at ringside) v Shawn Michaels and a bunch of others in masks I think. One memory is Bobby Heenan ripping the piss constantly out of Stu Hart every time the camera would zoom in to show him at ringside. "Did you hear Stu?!?! He called Bret a bum!" I think that was the start of Bret v Owen who was upset at his elimination, of course I didn't see wrestling for a while after that with no Sky.

Yeah, i remember not having Sky back then, i'd actually lost interest in WWE for that period of time. I do however remember this, Shawn was subbing for Lawler, hence the Knights. It was meant to be The King and his red black and blue knights. But Lawler got sent down for rape charges (which turned out to be bogus in the ends), and Shawn was due back from suspension. The blue one was Greg Valentine, the red one was Barry Horrowitz, it's rumoured that the black one was Kane, but that has been seriously questioned over the course of the last 15 years.

My memory of that match is Heenan related too. Stu Hart was wearing a Bruins jacket on him, and there's a large image of a Bruin on the back. Heenan comes out with the line of the night: "Aww how sweet, he got a picture of Helen Hart on his jacket!"

Priceless stuff indeed.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

It didn't. They were the same show. What happened was, usually SNME were taped about a week earlier and then aired on the Saturday. Sometimes they didn't get the Saturday slot and ended up being shown on the friday. The first three were actually shown live. Being feb 88, feb 89 and feb 90. They changed channel in 1992, and it was still called Saturday Nights Main Event, from 84-91, it was on NBC, and both parties made a lot of money (hence McMahons buddying relationship with Dick Ebersol), it lasted 2 episiodes on FOX in 1992.

I actually preferred the 88-91 theme that they used. The horrible thing they had for the last two episodes of FOX was bloody dire.
    SNME didn't have the same effect for obvious reasons. On RAW and SD, every match is a main event anyway, as opposed to superstar vs jobber. Thats what made SNME so special. It was something to tide you over between Wrestlemania and Summerslam, and in between other PPVs. Once RAW got rid of the jobbers, that was the end of that.

Screw the rail, the bell to the throat was the best part of that! :D

VR!
    I see, should have dawned on me that the reason they dropped the Saturday Night bit was because it wasn’t on Saturday Nights anymore, duh, why didn’t I go to school instead of watching wrestling :)
    I remember they used to use “Take me Home” by Phil Collins at the end credits also, I’d never admit that aul Phil is cool but it worked well back then.
    And I forgot about Savage using the bell as well, but it is literally over 20 years since I’ve seen that (Apart from maybe a small segment they use in the build up to their match on the WM tape, which I still haven’t watched in years). It’s the tongue swallowing bit I always remembered (Or at least someone like Monsoon saying he did), Kevin Moran done the same thing in a Man Utd match a few years earlier so I had a real phobia that I was going to die that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jimmy McMurtry

I always liked the Jake & Macho Man feud where (if I member correctly) the snake bit Macho Mans arm and he bled like crazy that freakd me out as a child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

not great but memorable nontheless:Bossman/Nailz. Bret had some really decent feuds in this period and always made them look personal. Always found Bobby Heenan always seemed to escalate the feuds with his commentary and bashing of whoever was the good guy. Just out of interest did Flair/Hogan ever have a match 90/91?

Shaneomac wrote: »
    not great but memorable nontheless:Bossman/Nailz. Bret had some really decent feuds in this period and always made them look personal. Always found Bobby Heenan always seemed to escalate the feuds with his commentary and bashing of whoever was the good guy. Just out of interest did Flair/Hogan ever have a match 90/91?

Yes, at the end of 1991 and beginning of 1992, they did a few house house shows that aired on the MSG Network, but as far as syndicated television or PPV goes, it didn't happen.

The former ended up being aired on WWE Old School on 24/7 a couple of years back, i got a couple of them. They're far from great though, and the crowd started walking out midway through the match, because as awesome as Flair was down south, up north, the fans had a very hard time taking to him in 1991.

One of them will probably air on Vintage Collection in the next few weeks.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Rock / HHH

Mick Foley / HHH

Kurt Angle / Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit / Y2J

SCSA / HHH

SCSA /The Rock

Team Extreme / T&A

Hardyz / E&C

Lita / Trish Stratus

Edge / John Cena

Kurt Angle / Eddie Guerrero

Y2J / HHH & Stephanie McMahon

HHH / Kurt Angle

SCSA / The McMahons

DX / The McMahons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i always say the best feud of all time was austin vs the rock, from back when they were fighting for the IC belt (the belt getting thrown off the bridge) all the way when it was for the wwf title with the smoking skull belt it was just brilliant! those two knew how to get the best out of each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.

As simple as keeping 2 double fat bastards apart for a while and then just letting them loose on eachother.
    Simpler times indeed.

More recently

Foley/Taker
    Foley/HHH

and of course Rocky/Austin and Austin/McMahon

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

for me it would have to be Macho man V Ricky the dragon steamboat with the whole trying to end his career with the bell off the top rope

Advertisement